• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

need advice on cutting

asv

Guys, i have been doing clean-bulking for a while and planning on cutting early next month.

I know i have to be on calories deficit but apart from that any advice on working out at the gym? can i use the same routines i do for bulking?

Should i do supersets?

Thanks guys

why would you need to change your progam? you dont even have to eat less. You could always do cardio for a bit each day and get into a deficit that way.

Train as per usual mate. you want to keep as much muscle as you can

Mate, thanks for the reply.

Well, that's the idea right? eat less/ in calories deficit?
yeah i'm gonna have to do cardio each day.

hey what are your thoughts on 5x5 workouts?
I just did a quick read about it and it looks interesting to try.

i don't know i may as well stick to my current program

don't change your program during a cutting phase whats the point? your not in a caloric surplus so you will be gaining minimal muscle so your best goal is just to maintain what you have put on while bulking.

I've been cutting for just over a week now and i've lost about 2-3kg, *obviously a lot would be water retention considering my weight fluctuates* my starting weight was 88kg, lowest weight was 84.9kg although this morning it was as high as 85.5-86kg. I'm doing intermittent fasting i would recommend 100%, if you don't know what intermittent fasting is look it up but its basically only eating in a certain time frame (usually 8 hour period to start) i only eat between 2pm-10pm and get all of my calories in in this time, i'm on about a deficit of 500 cals at the moment but i'll have to change that down soon, so i'm eating around 2.5k cals atm.

in reguards to your program. just stick with what you have and try to maintain what you have because your going to gain minimal muscle, supersets i don't think are a good idea at this time.

Okey, thanks buddy.

I'm eating around 2.7k cals at the moment. I've bulked up a tad.
Before bulking i was between 61.8 - 62kg and at the moment im 63.5kg and my goal is 65kg by the end of this month. But, if that doesn't happen I'm gonna keep pressing hard till i reach my goal.

I've heard about Intermittent fasting, but never actually done it before.

Okey, thanks buddy.

I'm eating around 2.7k cals at the moment. I've bulked up a tad.
Before bulking i was between 61.8 - 62kg and at the moment im 63.5kg and my goal is 65kg by the end of this month. But, if that doesn't happen I'm gonna keep pressing hard till i reach my goal.

I've heard about Intermittent fasting, but never actually done it before.

Firstly, intermittent fasting, you don't need it. Forget you've ever heard about it.

Second, how tall are you? How long did you "bulk" for? If you're taller than 5"8 then 65kg is still small.

I suspect bams is basing it on the fact the OP has bulked up to a huge 63kg... and is now planning a cut

current program, age and how long have you been training?

i'd suggest getting heavier before cutting, not to knock your efforts but the weight you have gained is negligable. maybe set a goal of 70 kg then cut down to something you are happier with aesthetically.

is this a seasonal cut, i.e nearly summer? if so i can kind of see what you are doing or moreso why you are doing it now

- slowly transition from your current calories to a deficit of 300-500 (maybe drop 100 calories per week till you hit -500)

- train the same/ continue to train to get stronger, unless you want to get to 6% you shouldn't lose much strength

-think long term.. if you're in a deficit of 500 calories, then theoretically it'll take you a week to lose one lb. that makes 4 lb (roughly 2kg) in a month. thats a good slow rate where you'll minimize muscle loss

- ignore all of the following and continue to bulk. you're 65kg.

Firstly, intermittent fasting, you don't need it. Forget you've ever heard about it.

Second, how tall are you? How long did you "bulk" for? If you're taller than 5"8 then 65kg is still small.

Why would IF not be beneficial towards his goals? It will aid in his cut

Based on your avatar (assuming that it's recent) and how little weight you've gained so far, I wouldn't be worrying about cutting just now, unless (as someone else pointed out) it's for the season. 65kg is a maybe, but I'd probably still push the bulk further, if you can do so without turning into one huge fatass.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.

I'm 165cm (5.4"), 32 y.old, been bulking for roughly 5 months.
I stepped on to a scale this morning and i am 64.1kg, thats cool! so i'm progressing.

But, yeah thanks for the awesome advices. i think i will still look 'small' if I cut at 65kg. I still wanna pack on muscles after cutting.
It is for the season :), but im going for a holiday in december and im pretty sure my eating routine will change as you know it.

I'm determined to push a bit higher now. Maybe between 68-70kg and then i'll worry about cutting.

Why would IF not be beneficial towards his goals? It will aid in his cut

Lol what a great argument.

Just like you don't need 6 meals a day.

^^ 6 meals a day? what?

It would aid in his cut if he could do it properly, and then eat all his calories within the window alotted for the day which I would think to be doubtful. If you don't know what you're doing it's just the lazy mans approach to dieting. "It's ok I dont have to eat this morning, I'm doing IF".

It's better to instill the practice of a good quality diet with light levels of calorie restriction and perhaps some condioning if need be.

With all that said I think 70kg is still easily achievable for him even though he's a shorter guy.

If you wanted to lean out a bit for the holiday ASV decide on that 6-8 weeks away from that date.

^^ 6 meals a day? what?

It would aid in his cut if he could do it properly, and then eat all his calories within the window alotted for the day which I would think to be doubtful. If you don't know what you're doing it's just the lazy mans approach to dieting. "It's ok I dont have to eat this morning, I'm doing IF".

It's better to instill the practice of a good quality diet with light levels of calorie restriction and perhaps some condioning if need be.

Why would it be doubtful that he could eat all of his calories within the window???

Whats lazy about IF???

Provided there is a calorie deficit... Makes no difference which diet approach you follow... (Assuming protein minimum 1.5gms and fats 0.8gms per kilo of body weight)

IF is simply more convenient.
I fucking hate eating in the morning before work...so I don't. Then no time to eat at work til the afternoon generally...so I don't eat til then. This is a way more sustainable option for myself and many others. Two, sometimes 3 meals is all I do. Fuck eating every couple hours, pain in the arse.

IF is simply more convenient.
I fucking hate eating in the morning before work...so I don't. Then no time to eat at work til the afternoon generally...so I don't eat til then. This is a way more sustainable option for myself and many others. Two, sometimes 3 meals is all I do. Fuck eating every couple hours, pain in the arse.

Same over here bud... Im loving IF....

2 meals a day and fasting in the morning is easy peasy....

Guys, i have been doing clean-bulking for a while and planning on cutting early next month.

I know i have to be on calories deficit but apart from that any advice on working out at the gym? can i use the same routines i do for bulking?

Should i do supersets?

Thanks guys

As has already been said keep lifting heavy in a good rep range (10 to 15) and just add in cardio as required to increase the deficit. Also time you carb intake to match your day. Clean Carbs and Protein first thing in the morning (critical after your body has been fasting during sleep) then clean carbs pre work out and the usual post training carbs (not excessive). Increase carb intake during the day on leg day. Daily carb requirements depends on specific BF% goals, training intensity, body type etc. Simple things like cutting out milk based protein powders will do wonders as everyone is a little lactose intolerant and this causes slight smoothness between the muscles and skin. Try using egg white powder, rich in amino acids as well.

As has already been said keep lifting heavy in a good rep range (10 to 15) and just add in cardio as required to increase the deficit. Also time you carb intake to match your day. Clean Carbs and Protein first thing in the morning (critical after your body has been fasting during sleep) then clean carbs pre work out and the usual post training carbs (not excessive). Increase carb intake during the day on leg day. Daily carb requirements depends on specific BF% goals, training intensity, body type etc. Simple things like cutting out milk based protein powders will do wonders as everyone is a little lactose intolerant and this causes slight smoothness between the muscles and skin. Try using egg white powder, rich in amino acids as well.

Why are morning carbs and protein critical?