• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

12 tips to a heavier pull

haz

The Dirty Dozen: 12 Tips for Heavier Pulls

by Tony Gentilcore
"Any healthy male under the age of 50 should be able to deadlift at least 400 pounds(182.5kg) within two years of proper training."
Not surprisingly, my business partner and fellow TMUSCLE contributor Eric Cressey caught a lot of flack in the fitness community a few years ago for making that bold statement. But it's true. If you've been training for a couple of years, you should be able to deadlift at least 400 pounds.
I understand you may be upset if you can't yet pull the big four-oh-oh. It's human nature to get mad when someone questions your manhood. But what are you going to do about it? You can stop reading here, go to the discussion thread, and leave a nasty comment, or you can sack up and learn how to pull eight plates (or more) off the ground.
All you need to do is follow the Dirty Dozen.

Tip #1: If you want to improve your deadlift, you should have perfect form.

rest of article here

Last edited:
I think 2 years for a 182.5kg deadlift is generous.

At different ends of the scale......17 and 61 years old......done in under 12 months.

If you've been lifting for 2 years and cant pull 182.5kg, you've been incredibly slack, regardless of your age and bodyweight.

I would only have 3-4 guys with less than 3 months lifting who cant do this at PTC.

Theres quite a few guys who post a lot on aussbb that arent even close to this, despite years of lifting, but geez there post count is high.

Most will tell you they have other goals lol

Stronger is always better.

By being able to do this does it mean
that all your other 'regular' exercise
strength will also improve?

Ie: say bench press for example?

Thanks
Devante.
P.S. I have not read the article.... yet.

From that article

Tip #7: If you want to get strong you need to train with strong people

Couldnt agree more, pay attention to that quote

I went back to my old gym on monday and i was the biggest guy there which felt weird as im usually one of the smaller guys at my current gym. I knew that if i had stayed on at my older gym i would of found a comfort zone and not pushed myself.

Also get chalk on your hands and take your shoes off. If gym staff dont like it tell them to piss off. If they ban you, they are doing you a favour as you will find a better place.

Old gym: January 2009 till August 2009
Deadlift 5rep: 60 to 100kg
Current gym: August 2009 till now
Deadlift 3rep: ~110 to 202.5kg, 1rep at 220kg raw 2 weeks ago

By being able to do this does it mean
that all your other 'regular' exercise
strength will also improve?

Ie: say bench press for example?

Thanks
Devante.
P.S. I have not read the article.... yet.

Very few weak people deadlift 182.5kg.

Just for shits and giggles, anyone who cant deadlift 182.5kg, please state your PB and time training. Dont bother with excuses, we've all heard them, just PB and time.

JD i know what you mean. I made an effort to sneak into my old gym on saturday. I almost died...a skinny ecto-morph was telling this guy, who's big as a shit house, how to pose & get ready for a bodybuilding show. I don't fault his enthusiasm, but when a stick thin guy, who weigh's 60kg when soaking wet is preaching how to prepare for a bodybuilding show...i knew was in the wrong place. Latter on that arvo, two guys walked in, couldn't decide if they should train chest or shoulders.

for a moment i was the strongest guy in the gym, which is unsual, because in my current gym, i'm the weakest & slowest!
more chalk, less chalk

172.5kg, 5 months & a bit. Excuses: self-taught, no coach, train at typical gym among weak people, no special power balance wristband :p

Tip #7: If you want to get strong you need to train with strong people

Yup.

I'm going to join the powerlifting gym near my current one, where Robert Wilks coaches (he taught me how to squat when I first started, only knew him as Rob back then). There are some very strong guys in that gym.

It's not easy to train well when you're the only squatter in a room full of guys posing in front of the mirror wondering which tiny muscles to work out next.

Last edited:
Ok because you aksed so nicely MArcos,..

140kg dead, at 70kg bw, trained for years, maybe 12 months doing deadlifts as part of my program.
(this time last year I was doing 80 x 6 as a max effort, i can do 120 x 6 now)
Excuses, i have a stuffed lower back, and need to eat more, lots more, the back is getting better the food intake not so much.

Last edited:
126kg.... Its all the weight I own. Been doing deads for 3 months and I weigh 94. The new gym I'm planning on joining will fix my excuse.
Posted via Mobile Device

does it take into account the "ive been there done that"? As i have done back in my late 20s (with assisted supplements ;)) 230kg sumo 1 RPM at a BW of 80kgs i did black out on the way up :D. Not going back there atm as staying huge takes too much maintenance on the body. 8-9 meals a day/10 hours sleep takes its toll on other aspects of your life.

but i agree 2 years is quite reasonable to be able to lift 400 pounds unassisted if u do everything else right (diet/sleep)

195kgs @ 83.5kg b/w . lifting what i thought was seriously for 3 years , god i feel like a loser now,

he doesn't mean that it will take 2 year to get to 182.5 just that if you dont get it before then you are on struggle street. i hope your all reading the article.

Started lifting 6 months ago and when i started i was doing 90kg 3x8 @147kg bw.

On 28/11/09 i lifted 165kg @~135kg bw.

Last PB attempt was 01/03/10 which was 180kg @~121kg bw.

Currently i am doing a DL program to try and get that to 200kg in 8 more weeks.

does it take into account the "ive been there done that"? As i have done back in my late 20s (with assisted supplements ;)) 230kg sumo 1 RPM at a BW of 80kgs i did black out on the way up :D. Not going back there atm as staying huge takes too much maintenance on the body. 8-9 meals a day/10 hours sleep takes its toll on other aspects of your life.

but i agree 2 years is quite reasonable to be able to lift 400 pounds unassisted if u do everything else right (diet/sleep)

So how did you complete the lift if you blacked out on the way up?
Posted via Mobile Device

No excuses, just weak and not pushing hard enough consistently for long enough...

120kgx5 reps before grip strength fails. I weigh about 75kg and am 5'6".

Been training on and off for about 15 years. :(

Cheers,
Mike

No excuses, just weak and not pushing hard enough consistently for long enough...

120kgx5 reps before grip strength fails. I weigh about 75kg and am 5'6".

Been training on and off for about 15 years. :(

Cheers,
Mike
Are you training for strength or size? Not everyone trains just to get stronger, strength increase is a by product of gaining bigger muscles.

When will people on this forum realise this?