• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5/3/1 Influenced Program?

bumperplates

Hi,

I've been jumping between the PTC Beginners workout here, Starting Strength,
and 5/3/1, and I'm wondering whether you can offer any advice with me wanting
to start a 5/3/1 influenced program, and in the following fashion:

Workout #1 - Squat (Hard), Deadlift (Easy)
Workout #2 - Bench Press (Hard), Overhead Press (Easy)
Workout #3 - Deadlift (Hard), Squat (Easy)
Workout #4 - Overhead Press (Hard), Bench Press (Easy)

I would do this program on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and my aim was to include an lighter exercise of the one I would be doing two workouts in advance, to slightly speed up the progress.

I'm also after any advice on how to fit in dips, pull-ups, bicep curls, and mobility work - to improve my posture/core.

Thanks in Advance,

bumperplates

What about the guns? Not training the guns?
Arms and calves for summer, Bro.

When you're talking 531. Have you read beyond 531? Also there's a 4 day option similar to this. Chin up monday. Curls tuesday. Dips friday

bumperplates that's the exact way I do 531 and in that order. I do BBB.

I did buy and read Beyond 531, depressingly I don't eat and sleep enough to do more on top of BBB (but I am slowly trying to lose weight). Works pretty good for me - upper body lifts especially. I did run PTC Beginner until I ran out of linear (progression).

I also add dips on the deadlifting days and BB curls on the non deadlifting days. The heavy OHP day will also have chins/pull ups as one of the assistance exercises, I can only do 1-2 chins at a time due to fatness, so I do lat pulldowns to make up volume.

If you like doing pointless shit, you could chuck in calf raises on your heavy squat day after the hamstring curls.

I use this calculator to make life a bit easier blackironbeast.com - 5/3/1 Calculator

That sounds like Big But Boring programming with the opposing lifts as BBB after your main 531 lift. Exactly what I am doing. Once you have done your BBB, and your body feels like it (and you'll know when your body doesn't feel like it on BBB lol, for sure), then throw in as much of the dips, pull-ups, and bicep curls in as you like. I would add rows in there as well (any variation would do but pendlay is my personal favourite).
Don't skip on the mobility work, and make sure you eat and sleep like its going out of fashion, unless you wanna look and feel like a war disaster relief victim by week 2.

Thanks for all of the great advice! I didn't realise there was already a program that ran similar to this one within the 5/3/1 bible, as I was going off a few references on-line.

I'm basically working from home, and all I have to work within is a Power Rack, Bench, Pull-Up Bar, and a set of Rings.

Would it be a complete program if I added a different accessory exercise on each of the days - Dips, Pull-ups, Curls, and Rows?

Would you see the progression/gains as slow based on the 5/3/1 method, or should I increase the weight on week three of the cycle, and then de-load the 4th week?

What sort of mobility work would you suggest that targets overall posture/back/hips without it taking an hour long :)

Would you see an issue with me doing dips on Rings, or is my shoulder going to give out if I exclusively did dips on rings?

You're also right! Program Hopping is NO GOOD!

Have a google of 5/3/1 boring but big, plenty of sites etc. tnation I think has a few articles Wendler has done on it. Try source a copy of beyond 5/3/1 as well for a flick through

Just follow the 531 BBB template, or BBB challenge if you're keen. Google that. Adding accessories after your lifts as stated in the program would not change the program, so go by how you feel. The template uses monthly mesocycles with increasing %'s based on your training max. The fourth week of each month is the scheduled deload week which I recommend you follow. Stick with it for at least 3 months and gauge your results from there. Any less than that would be pointless imo.
Defranco's Agile 8 is recommended by Wendler to free up your joints for the big moves before each session - quick, easy, painless and effective.
Ringwork - are you sure you can do a dip on rings lol? Its much harder than you think. If you screw up then yes there is a chance you'll rip your shoulder up. I almost gave myself a shoulder impingement doing a muscle-up on rings. Stick with the bar version and go for reps at the end of your training sessions.

1: Stop fukkin' about. Just do the 5/3/1 workout. Pick a variation from the ebook, or just do the basic format. It's very simple. It works.

2: I can never understand why anyone would tack on deadlifts after squats. Its a very common practice and is, in effect, identical to rubbing a few out in the bathroom while Scarlet Johansson waits for you in the bedroom.

Deadlifts are by far the most badass lift on the planet. If it wasn't, everyone would be deadlifitng 50% more than their squat. Have a look at a few powerlifting results sheets and you can see how badly some very good powerlifters suck at deadlifts.

If you want to "slightly speed up" your progress, then just do the normal template properly. Believe me, when you have gone one rep short of failure on squats, deadlifts, bench and press once in the week, you will be in no shape to come back and repeat it all, even if done "light".

Generally it's one compound a day if you're not doing BBB, and the original template calls for the volume amount to be done after the main lift - just that myself and OP prefer to do the 'less boring' version and swap it up. BBB is more of a 'bodybuilding' template IIRC.

OK... Will do! Thanks for the feedback, and great advice!!

Does the Defranco Agile 8 target the whole body, or is more focused on the lower body? Would that also improve my overall posture as I have a slight Posterior Pelvic Tilt, Lordosis, Winged Scapula, and Hip Flexor Inflexibility. Thank you office work!

My last question before you all kill me again (with a bumper plate to the head) is what are your thoughts on incorporating oly lifts with the other 4 main lifts in 5/3/1 such as snatch, clean & jerk, clean & press, power cleans? Advisable? Does it work?

I'm also running once a week, and rowing twice a week at home for 30-40 minutes, or I might just row once a week if I can get into one session of something else (like boxing or squash). Will the program still allow me to build strength, and size, or would I be doing too much?

I still find slight variations between the way some of the main lifts have been described by Mark Rippetoe, and Jim Wendler, such as the Squat. I'm not sure which one I should be following as the correct movement.

I'll also get my log started back up again in the forums! :)

have you read the book? It does mention power cleans specifically, but I can't remember if it mentioned other Olympic lifts.

Wendler reccommends 2/3 conditioning sessions a week, in the form of sprints / hill sprints / prowler. He and Rip deviate on the squat a bit, I squat more like what Wendler reccommends, feels more natural for me, but I'm still working out what is best. I liked Rip's training cues, especially for assistance movements that Wendler is very brief on, or omits an explanation of the form on.

Does the Defranco Agile 8 target the whole body, or is more focused on the lower body? Would that also improve my overall posture as I have a slight Posterior Pelvic Tilt, Lordosis, Winged Scapula, and Hip Flexor Inflexibility. Thank you office work!

There's an upper body version from Defranco that you might be interested in

All those mobility issues can be corrected but you'll need time to develop new habits, undo the officework curse and to learn how to perform maintenance on yourself. Get yourself a rumble roller and read up on foam rolling and mobility. MobilityWOD has solved much of the same issues that you have described for myself, so thats what I will recommend for you as well.

EqeuS.gif