• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adam Coe

Tom

G'day Guys and Gals,

I figure some people would be aware of the blog 70sbig.com, if you aren't give it a read. Focuses on heavy strength training and occasionally on impressive figures from the history of strength training.

So far there hasn't been any submissions about Australians and I thought that I'd like to have a go writing up about some of the great strength athletes from our little pocket of the world.

The first name that springs to my mind from the past is Adam Coe.

I was wondering if anyone on here could provide any information or personal stories/photos if they once knew Adam Coe? I'm trying to do a lot of my own research but I'm sure there's a bunch of info that is stored in peoples heads and not the web.

Aside from Adam, is there anyone else you think would make good subject matter?

Reading 70sbig (especially the earlier posts) may give a good indication of the kind of people I want to write about. Big, muscular and damn strong essentially haha.

Adam is a friend of mine and a member on here.

Laurie Butler
Bev Francis
Barry Murray
Shane Blood
Len Wilson
Geoff Barclay
Rod Sylvia
Mason Jardine
Taylor Young
Charlie Coleiro
Fred Herman
Dino Toci
Clyde Holani

Further to what PTC said, some other names that came up from my research of the golden age of powerlifting....

Glen Waszkeil - won bronze in the "middleweight" division at the 1985 World Games, and 14 national titles between 1975 and 1988

Ray Rigby - in 1985 did a 385kg squat and 950kg total as a super. won 3 bronzes at the Worlds. He also competed in weightlifting at the 1968 olympics.

Paul Jordon - 915kg @110kg. only (male) Aussie to ever win a gold at the IPF Worlds in 1976 (if I'm not mistaken?).

Heidi Wettisch - 3 time women's world champion

Some of the older guys will be able to say more about these lifters.

Last edited:
Robert Kabbas
b114.jpg

Dean Lukin
20100727_10191143_dean_lukin_weightlifting1.jpg

Len Skeen, one of the first Australian lifters to pull 4 times b/weight. 212.5kg @52kgs and 225kg @56kg

Paul Jordon - 915kg @110kg. only (male) Aussie to ever win a gold at the IPF Worlds in 1976 (if I'm not mistaken?).

Paul Jordan - a legend- was actually lifting for Great Britain in 1976. Funny... this topic came up a couple of weeks ago when talking to Henry Day who quoted Adam Coe who had said Paul was the only aussie male to win open ipf title and I said then I think he was lifting for Great Britain- but wasn't sure. Anyhow just checked and is indeed the case.