• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adjustable Dumbbells

Frogman

G'day all..
Does anyone know where I can get a set of bells like these or similar around Brisbane or Sunny Coast ??
I come through that way when i'm heading home to the Coffs Harbour area after working away , so easy to pick up ..
Have seen sets on Ebay but they won't let you pick them up so freight is going to be a bit of a killer i'm thinking ..
Have to cart 3 sets of bells around with weights and a barbell on the truck when we head out bush and I can't get to a gym , these might make it a little more compact for me.
While i'm at it has anyone had any experience using these types of sets , are they made strongly and easy to adjust ?

Cheers Fred.

MagicalSnap-201301141952-001_zpsc50d6ecd.png

There expensive from what I remember why not just buy normal dumbells with screw locks? Get the ones in the carry case it's cheaper and does the same thing. Would be easier in the case any way

G'day all..
Does anyone know where I can get a set of bells like these or similar around Brisbane or Sunny Coast ??
I come through that way when i'm heading home to the Coffs Harbour area after working away , so easy to pick up ..
Have seen sets on Ebay but they won't let you pick them up so freight is going to be a bit of a killer i'm thinking ..
Have to cart 3 sets of bells around with weights and a barbell on the truck when we head out bush and I can't get to a gym , these might make it a little more compact for me.
While i'm at it has anyone had any experience using these types of sets , are they made strongly and easy to adjust ?

Cheers Fred.

Word of warning, they are selling imitation DB's on ebay. Don't waste your money they ALL break. The gears flog out within about 2 weeks of use.
Nautilus/Bowflex are the only ones I would trust but they have no importer in Australia. A set was about $800rrp.

yeah cheap adjustable dumbells are a recipe for disaster. Either get quality ones (powerblock, bowflex, ironmasters etc) or do what i am doing, gradually building up a collection of quality rubber coated hex dumbells. I buy a new pair every 4-6 weeks

yeah cheap adjustable dumbells are a recipe for disaster. Either get quality ones (powerblock, bowflex, ironmasters etc) or do what i am doing, gradually building up a collection of quality rubber coated hex dumbells. I buy a new pair every 4-6 weeks
So something like this would be pretty useless? 120KG Adjustable Dumbbell set_Hammer tone_Standard

Just the first lot with semi-decent weight I found, but that kind of thing?

And by the way, can you get anything like 100kg [each] adjustable dumbbells in Australia, and even if you can, would they be worth looking at?

The ironmasters (Sam's Fitness Equipment) are great, but because they involve taking plates on and off (a little better than spinlocks, and much better for hoisting into place on the legs!) they wouldn't be great for carting around.

From what i've read/played with, i'd consider a set of powerblocks if i was wanting to cart them around, but only if you don't tend to drop your DB's

So something like this would be pretty useless? 120KG Adjustable Dumbbell set_Hammer tone_Standard

Just the first lot with semi-decent weight I found, but that kind of thing?

And by the way, can you get anything like 100kg [each] adjustable dumbbells in Australia, and even if you can, would they be worth looking at?

With all the extension kits, the Ironmasters go to 75KG's, but they won't warranty them with that extension, only up to about 53kgs each.

Once i get my gym somewhere with a concrete underfloor :), i'm probably going to start wanting something slightly heavier than 50kgs.. thinking i'll just buy 60, 65 & 70kg fixed DB's though when it comes to it, at those weights i'd be even less trusting of adjustables.

?

I personally don't consider these adjustable dumbells , they are just dumbell bars and collars and weight plates (i have a few sets of these kind of things and obviously are fine because they are bars and weights.

I consider 'modern' adjustable dumbells the ones where you can quick change the weights like the ironmasters, powerblocks etc

Thanks for the input fellas ..
Didn't realise there were some decent set ups about so the fought of the cheap ones can go out the window now ..
Had a look at a few reviews of brands some of you have mentioned , thinking the Powerblock is more suited to what I need , looks to be pretty compact and have a quicker adjustment system to the others . Some of the feedback I've been reading on other sites indicate there reasonably strong..
The Hammertones and Ironmasters look the goods too although i'm back to spinning off locks and having plates lying around which i'm already doing with the spin lock bells I take on the road with me now.

Anyone know who's selling Powerblocks in Aus ??

Word of warning, they are selling imitation DB's on ebay. Don't waste your money they ALL break. The gears flog out within about 2 weeks of use.
Nautilus/Bowflex are the only ones I would trust but they have no importer in Australia. A set was about $800rrp.

have you actually got a set/used them or is this just speculation?

Hi!

Which ones did you end up going for in the end?

I'm looking for some myself. Used to have the Bowflex in the UK before I left and thought they were great. Can't seem to find them over here and the ones on eBay after doing a bit of research do look a bit shoddy!

Did anyone find anywhere to get Bowflex legit?

Cheers,

Lex

how long are you on the road for at any time?
Surely theres alternatives to lugging them around?
Tried the deck of cards?

I own the powerblock U90 stage 1 and 2. And the stand.

Got them from workout world as a pack for $1k.

They are awesome!

The 10lbs increment jumps are very quick.

The 2.5lb increments involve removing weights from the handle, so a little slower, but still faster than a spin lock or quick change.

You can drop them (although I only drop them onto rubber and not from great heights).

I had the bowflex ones previously (probably fakes though as they were from a dodgy warehouse in chipping Norton) and a plate slipped loose and almost hit me in the head... AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

The UFC one or the Greg Plitt one?

You got a door? You got a gym!

I had the ufc years ago it gave a pretty good workout. I would use a bench on incline for upper chest and everything. Honestly its great for traveling I would highly recommend it. Band training is sufficient enough to maintain mass ect. Don't expect gains but u can def maintain.