• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

All diet customers are losing is their dignity, possums

nobullsupplements

Site Advertiser
Kasey Edwards, in SMH:

It's hard not to laugh at Jenny Craig's latest attempt to convince us to buy its products.

In the past week, as foreshadowed in the Sydney Morning Herald's PS column last month, the weight loss giant has launched an advertising campaign featuring Dame Edna.

But on this occasion it's not the comic genius of Barry Humphries that is so hilarious. The joke is on Jenny.

The face of Jenny Craig's new advertising campaign ... Dame Edna.
After a succession of PR disasters with its female celebrity weight loss ambassadors, it seems the Jenny Craig company - owned by Nestle´, the same company that makes Kit Kats, Life Savers, and Drumstick ice creams - has taken a break from using women to promote its brand and has resorted to using a man pretending to be a woman.

Last August, the actress Magda Szubanski and Jenny Craig parted ways awkwardly. She no longer gets a mention in the Friends of Jenny section on its website.

Days later, MasterChef Julie Goodwin turned down a potentially lucrative offer. ''There are more important things going on in the world than losing a few kilograms … And besides, I'm happy with how I am,'' Goodwin said.

Then, in December, the radio personality and magazine columnist Chrissie Swan declined to renew her contract with the company after having her second child.

Echoing Goodwin, she wrote in her Sunday Life column, ''I'm overweight and happy''. This is tantamount to heresy to the high priests of weight loss, in whose litany the equation ''fat = miserable'' is an article of faith.

Last month, Jenny Craig hit the headlines again when the company's CEO, Amy Smith, was invited to speak at the Alliance of Girls Schools annual conference, provoking super-sized servings of outrage.

Critics savaged the decision to invite the head of a company that thrives on fuelling body insecurity to a conference attended by educators of girls.
But perhaps we're being too cynical and too harsh on poor old Jenny. She's only trying to help, right? After all, look how well it turned out for US actor Kirstie Alley, who is now better known for yo-yo dieting than for her glory days in Cheers and Look Who's Talking.

The problem, of course, lies not with any of these weight loss ambassadors. It lies with the product. If there is one clear and unambiguous message from this list of celebrity ambassadorships gone awry, it's that Jenny Craig and products like it do not work in the long term.

It doesn't work if you're a celebrity. And it doesn't work if you're just an average Kath, Kim or Sharon.

Fifty years of scientific research tells us that only 5 per cent of people can maintain their weight loss from dieting. Yes, there are some success stories, but for every five people who succeed, 95 people fail.

With such damning rates it is extraordinary that we still blame individuals for ''failing'' at weight loss programs rather than accusing the diet companies of selling snake oil. Can you imagine buying any other product with a 95 per cent failure rate and then blaming yourself when it didn't deliver on its promise?

A 2008 Monash University study found participants blamed themselves for being unable to maintain their weight loss or ''stick'' to diets even though they also said that they were ''seduced'' by the consultants' ''spiel''. Some said the expense and the time they would need to be on the program to lose a substantial amount of weight was unrealistic.

More shocking is evidence that some diet companies know their product doesn't work. In her book Bodies, for example, the British psychotherapist Susie Orbach recounts a story in which a former manager of WeightWatchers in Britain said she was dismayed at how unsuccessful the company was in helping people to keep the weight off. Orbach notes that the failure of these products shouldn't surprise us. After all, if they were truly effective, it would be disastrous for the companies' bottom lines. ''Their profitability depends upon failure and their programs ensure that failure happens.''

It's very hard to find any independently verified data about success rates. A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2010 found 92 per cent of women stayed with the Jenny Craig program and lost more weight than those without it, but the research was funded by the company, which also provided packaged foods and counselling free to study participants - hardly a real world test.

Given such ''evidence'', it's no surprise diet companies resort to a stream of celebrity ambassadors to sell the fantasy that their tailored eating and exercise plans are a path to permanent weight loss and happiness.

With such a poor industry record, and in the wake of a series of public relations disasters, it's perhaps fitting that the market leader is now putting its hopes in a brilliant comic actor who gets about in drag.
Good luck to you, possum. With Jenny Craig's success rate, you're going to need it.

Read more: All diet customers are losing is their dignity, possums

lol

Great article nobull! It gave me a giggle :)

Barry Humphries as Dame Edna will be interesting! If nothing else, it will be amusing. lol

I think the celebrity push came on in the early 2000's as a way for Jenny and some other weight loss companies, to appeal to a much wider audience. Because let's face it, most people don't know the difference between their arsehole and their eyeball when it comes to nutrition, but they certainly know who the Kardashians are! :D

In the mid to late 2000's, Jenny Craig had the excellent marketing idea of deploying entertainers and celebrities relative to each country.

And it was a great marketing idea.

The problem is...and I suppose the bottom line is, every diet, every program, every shake, every book on weightloss, every single one of them work. All of them.

But the results are dependant on the individual truly wanting to make a lifestyle change. Truly wanting to educate themselves about nutrition and lifestyle and good health and truly believing, that they and their bodies deserve to be healthy.

In my personal experience, every fat person on the planet, can tell you 300 ways to lose weight and all of them work to varying degree's - but it's having the commitment, drive, tenacity and level of self worth to be selfish enough and honest enough to know that your livelihood depends on your bodies health.

Period.

So is it an overweight persons fault that they remain fat, regardless of how they got fat? Sure it is. Life is all about choices afterall. And there are a miriad of reasons people get fat and stay fat...some legitimate, others just pure overindulgence and prolonged laziness.

But the weightloss industry has known this for decades. Which is why it's a mutli billion dollar industry.

In the end, success...or not, is up to the individual. The end.

Every diet, gimmick and book works...you just have to find something, that works for you.

Unfortunately most of us are impatient and want immediate, amazing results. When the truth is and always has been :

Eat less.

Move more.

Personally, it was only when my focus became my health and I stopped my toxic and often obsessive compulsive relationship with food and my scales...that I started to have any success.

My focus was less on fat loss, less on how much I weigh, less on beating myself up and feeling less than and like a failure all the time and more simply just focusing on my bodies health and wellbeing...

15 months later, I've lost 80kg.

Do I know everything? No.
Would I call myself a success story? No.

Because in the very end. My bodies health and wellbeing is a lifetime, eternal commitment, no matter what my size or weight or bodyfat percentage is.

My aim is better health, fitness and vitality, not a number on the scale and not a particular dress size.

I just had to learn to love me.

And that's a gift, only you can give to yourself :)

Thanks for posting nobull!