• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Angle of foot for squatting?

Read something recently by a Cross-Fit bloke.

He writes you lose hip torque during squats if you let your toes turn out.

Same with fingers during pushups. Keep them facing straight.

Thoughts on this, anyone read this also ?

I for one would like to know how this tool used what tool to measure hip torque.

a3u2abev.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Kelly Starret?

He's great at rehab and fixing unhealthy movement patterns.

You can pretty much safely ignore anything he says will increase performance.

Read something recently by a Cross-Fit bloke.

He writes you lose hip torque during squats if you let your toes turn out.

Same with fingers during pushups. Keep them facing straight.

Thoughts on this, anyone read this also ?

I for one would like to know how this tool used what tool to measure hip torque.

Sounds like a they are just regurgitating shit Louie Simmons says from when he did some work with them.

I don't see how forcing your knees at a different angles to your legs can be good.

How you walk and stand will give you a good idea on your feet position for squatting.
[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; probably has the best suggestion about jumping

Yes pointing the toes out will decrease hip torque
How does this benefit you if you can't abduct the thighs as much and stay as upright?
It doesn't

People should just do what I thought was fucking obvious, play with stance width, toe angle, sitback, bar position etc until they find something that works. Everyone is built differently and no-one, NO ONE on the internet is going to be able to look at a video and be able to tell you the correct way you need to be squatting. At best, they can offer a suggestion for you to try out that can make it better, worse or indifferent

32.756 degrees I find is the best angle for the feet during squatting...

Hip torque...like you said, how is this measured?? Especially through a ball and socket joint?. I'd think pointing the toes forward would help fuck the knees and create less room in the hip for the squat...and K-Starr...haven't you seen the internet bandwagon going around between him, Fu and Takano regarding knees out? K-Starr and Fu walked out of it looking like they have no idea what the hell they are talking about

Jump up and down a few times and you'll find the sweet spot.

trying to imagine powerlifters jumping up and down from this position :D :D
elitefts_2_big11-300x281.jpg

but also trying to think of any athletic sport where you would jump with toes pointed outwards? nothing with any forward movement?
how do volleyball kiddies jump? what other sports have static vertical jump off 2 feet? basketball? (static as in no forward movement)

Last edited:
How you walk and stand will give you a good idea on your feet position for squatting.
[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; probably has the best suggestion about jumping

But what if you have a shitty ankle with shitty mobility? I cant squat where I stand due to right ankle (wish I could though!!)

Tim.