• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Answer me this? PLEASE

misslifty

Hi all,

Have just started a Powerlifting routine, previously I did the following.

Sunday - Deadlifts/Hamstrings
Monday - Shoulders
Tuesday - Back/ Speed chest (flat bench) 5 sets x 10 reps + plus 2 warm up sets
Wednesday - Quads
Thursday - ARMS
Friday - CHEST

Now not boasting/bragging etc, But any day of the week I can break the Australian bench press record for all comers.

Now looking at the different powerlifting routines, they all appear to have a lite day and a heavy day ie: Explosive and a slow day.

QUESTION: Was the reason I am good at flat bench because I did a speed day?

If the answer is YES, could I just continue to do what I was doing and do a speed deadlift day on the Thursday and a speed Leg session on the Sunday?

Because today I did a SPEED Chest day and am struggling mentally with going to the gym and lifting lite weights, It's the first time I have willingly done this and It goes against everything.

Please HELP :)

Thanks.

Alot of the american programs with heavy and light speed days are based off equipped powerlifting programs.

Are you looking to compete? I would work on getting the bar to touch the chest with a pause before you go breaking any records.

The heavy/speed days come from Westside methods and probably other equipped training methods. I train from West methods with Max Effort/Dynamic days.

Agree with dreadlift: if you cant pause a bench rep at the chest it will never make a pass in a comp.

Yes I call them stop start.

where I come to a complete stop then press, I do them for most pushing exercises ie: Squats, chest, shoulders etc. So that is not a problem.

Cheers.

I like speed days, I just hate bands. My current rack has peg provisions so this time around it will easier to set up for speed. I hate speed squats, I do high bar and it flogs my upper back.

So I will get stronger by my 90% increasing as I am stimulating the fast twitch muscle fibers on the speed day, therefore my 1RM will increase as well?

If that is not correct could someone explain why I woyld get stronger by doing a lite/heavy routine?

Thanks

So I will get stronger by my 90% increasing as I am stimulating the fast twitch muscle fibers on the speed day, therefore my 1RM will increase as well?

If that is not correct could someone explain why I woyld get stronger by doing a lite/heavy routine?

Thanks

Honestly I would just do what worked in the past
Practice good technique, you have a lot to build on there for sure
If you got good results doing singles, then do singles. When there has been no improvement for 4 weeks, make a change and see what happens in those 4 weeks. Make sure it's not something as simple as trying harder and don't make many changes all at once because then who know what worked and what didn't

Just because something worked in the past as well doesn't mean that it will work in the future, so be sure to not "chase the loss"

Some programs have heavy and light days. They work for some people.
Many programs do not. They also work for some people.

If what you are doing now is allowing you to progress, I wouldn't be messing around with it too much.

Also, I had a look at some of your vids and you are cutting your bench press short - 1-2" above your chest. In powerlifting rules, you must lower the bar to your chest and when the bar is motionless touching your chest you will be given a call to press the bar. Practise lowering the bar to your chest if you plan on competing. It will probably be a little bit harder than you are used to.

Thanks ONI and Strong Enough, the only reason I started the Powerlifting routine is that every person I speak with says I can't continue doing what I am doing, that I have to choose one ie: Powerlifting/ bodybuilding/ strongman etc.

PS: If I can just add 5 sets of speed legs and Deads like I do with bench, I am more than happy to continue doing what I was doing.

Thanks

There is only one possible answer... You are the hybrid child of wonder woman and superman...

Put here to defend the rights and freedoms of the citizens of this earth.

Be sure and use your powers only for good. Never taking them for granted or using them for personal gain.

With great power comes great responsibility. :p

There is only one possible answer... You are the hybrid child of wonder woman and superman...

Put here to defend the rights and freedoms of the citizens of this earth.

Be sure and use your powers only for good. Never taking them for granted or using them for personal gain.

With great power comes great responsibility. :p

Thanks Testicles I already know that :)