• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are You Kidding Me? Maxing Out on Squats and Good Mornings Every Day?

haz

i was reading Bret's blog and found this. it applies to more weightlifters but it may interest some of you. full article can be found here Bret's blog. Bret's blog is probably the best i've read.

Are You Kidding Me? Maxing Out on Squats and Good Mornings Every Day?

Mathew Perryman has been experimenting with some high-frequency training methods that are very interesting to say the least. You can read more about it on this thread and this blog. Matt was working his way up to a daily max on either front squats or back squats, good mornings, and presses five days per week. Basically, you need to get over the “Dark Period” and force your body and brain to adapt to be able to withstand and supercompensate from daily bouts of heavy training. Plenty of weightlifters have done this in the past and there are ways of making it “doable.” I believe that Matt was inspired by the recent popularity of John Broz who adheres to the following philosophy:

• HE DOESN’T BELIEVE IN OVERTRAINING, ONLY UNDERTRAINING. OVERTRAINING IS PART OF THE ADAPTATION TOWARDS BEING AWESOMELY STRONG. HE REFERS TO WHAT OTHERS CALL OVERTRAINING AS THE “DARK TIME” WHEN YOUR STRENGTH GOES DOWN AND YOU FEEL LIKE SHIT. TO HIM, THERE’S LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, AND WHEN YOU START MAKING PRS IN A COMPLETELY FATIGUED STATE, YOU KNOW YOU’RE GETTING SOMEWHERE.

• HE EXPECTS HIS GYM TO BE A HIGHLY COMPETITIVE GYM ON THE WORLD/OLYMPIC LEVEL WITHIN THE NEXT 2-3 YEARS.

• BACK SQUATS ARE STUPID EASY, AND IF YOU NEED TO DO MORE WORK WITHOUT TAXING YOURSELF TO MUCH, DO BACK SQUATS.

• BACK SQUATS ARE GENERALLY BETTER THAN FRONT SQUATS. FRONT SQUATS LIMITING FACTOR IS ALWAYS THE UPPER BACK, NEVER THE
LEGS.

• HOWEVER, FRONT SQUATS CARRY OVER TO THE CLEAN, YAY. BS CARRY OVER TO THE SNATCH MORE.

• SQUATTING HEAVY SHOULD BE AS EASY AND NATURAL AS WALKING.

• SOMETHING WILL HURT. ALWAYS. AND YOU’LL NEVER KNOW WHAT IT WILL BE UNTIL YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING.

• IF YOU’RE TIRED, TRAIN. IF YOU HURT, TRAIN. IF YOU HAVE FREE TIME, TRAIN. IF YOU’RE INJURED, GO TO THE ER. IF YOU’RE NOT INJURED, TRAIN.

• WORK UP TO A MAX, BACK OF 10-20KG AND DO 2′S OR 3′S TO GET TO 30-50 REPS TOTAL FOR THE WORKOUT. PERCENTS ARE BS.

• MORE VOLUME = MORE ADAPTATION. TRAIN MORE.

• HE’S MADE OVER 50 ATTEMPTS IN A SINGLE WORKOUT BEFORE HITTING A NEW PR.

• THERE WILL NEVER BE A DAY WHEN YOU WALK IN THE GYM AND CAN’T LIFT THE BAR. IF IT’S ONE OF THOSE DAYS, LIFT THE BAR… A LOT.

• EVERY TIME YOU TRAIN THAT’S A +. EVERY DAY YOU DON’T TRAIN, THAT’S A -.

• PUSH PRESS IS BETTER THAN PRESS.

• HIS LIFTERS ONLY DO LIGHT PRESSES, AND ONLY IF THEIR ELBOWS HURT. ELBOWS DON’T HURT, NO MORE PRESSING.

• START OUT BY TRAINING 3 TIMES A WEEK, MAXING EVERY WORKOUT. ADD ANOTHER DAY, UNTIL YOU’RE UP TO 7, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
THEN WORK UP TO MAXING EVERY WORKOUT. THEN ADD 2X/DAY.

• ASSISTANCE WORK IS OVERRATED, UNLESS YOU’RE TRAINING THE UPPER BODY, PARTICULARLY WITH BENCH PRESSES. IN THIS CASE, DO ROWS, PULL UPS, ETC TO STRETCH THE FRONT OF YOUR BODY AND PROVIDE BALANCE.

• DON’T BENCH MORE THAN 3X/WEEK. LIMIT DEADLIFTING, THE
LOWER BACK RECOVERS POORLY.

• IF YOU GET PINNED BY A SNATCH, YOU GET LAUGHED OUT OF THE GYM. OR CHAINED TO THE SQUAT RACK FOR A MONTH.

• ONCE YOU START TRAINING THIS WAY, YOU’RE ALMOST NEVER SORE.

Here is a video of John Broz, who has a facility in Las Vegas:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwN9SqqIRAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwN9SqqIRAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I find this stuff very interesting. Here are my thoughts:
• It may require good genetics and/or anabolic steroid usage to succeed at this type of program
• I don’t think it can be done with the deadlift as it’s too stressful especially on the low back
• Perhaps the body is capable of handling much more than we previously thought
• How often would one need to “back off” and what would one do to “peak?”
• One may be able to make it work but is it the most optimal method?

this sounds rightI do this sometimes. It took my squat from 220lbs to 370lbs in 6monthsPosted via Mobile Device

• HE DOESN’T BELIEVE IN OVERTRAINING, ONLY UNDERTRAINING. OVERTRAINING IS PART OF THE ADAPTATION TOWARDS BEING AWESOMELY STRONG. HE REFERS TO WHAT OTHERS CALL OVERTRAINING AS THE “DARK TIME” WHEN YOUR STRENGTH GOES DOWN AND YOU FEEL LIKE SHIT. TO HIM, THERE’S LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, AND WHEN YOU START MAKING PRS IN A COMPLETELY FATIGUED STATE, YOU KNOW YOU’RE GETTING SOMEWHERE.

• DON’T BENCH MORE THAN 3X/WEEK. LIMIT DEADLIFTING, THE
LOWER BACK RECOVERS POORLY.

****ing lol.

My brother tried push pressing every day. In a few weeks, he got 133kg overhead. He was doing no bench training at the time. He benched 165kg at its completion.

He was experimenting to see how much carryover from PP to BP.

He later burnt out, but he was calorie restricting. The body will adapt, but I dont believe you can do it forever.

Broz success will speak for itself, He knows his shit and i like his philosophy especially • ASSISTANCE WORK IS OVERRATED, UNLESS YOU’RE TRAINING THE UPPER BODY, PARTICULARLY WITH BENCH PRESSES. IN THIS CASE, DO ROWS, PULL UPS, ETC TO STRETCH THE FRONT OF YOUR BODY AND PROVIDE BALANCE.
but no doubt enhancement has to be involved.

I's not like they're not maxing using a percentage, but maxing by feel. The max isn't the same number everyday. You're not going to be the same strength every single day.
There's an interview with Mendes on youtube somewhere, he doesn't have a job, sponsored for his diet and supps, says he squatted 315lb first time he squatted properly, really all he does is lift and he seems to be the best one in the gym. I'm sure he's a freak.

Whilst I'm not lifting shit compared to a lot of people, I managed to go just over 40 days of squatting everyday until I got really sick in melb and my sleeping pattern was previously starting to get pretty bad so in turn calories were down the last week or so. I'm sure it's possible, it's just a matter of dragging yourself there everyday and not missing any food or sleep - how long you would last would depend on your how much youre lifting, recovery and head also.

I remember being on & off oxygen in year 10 and still dragged myself out onto my bike for hours every day, all I wanted to do was ride, my body didn't, but I was able to still do it every day, not to max capacity every time though.. I would go insane during the times in hospital when I was off my bike, everytime I got out of there, it would take me a few weeks till I could adapt to riding everyday again too. My joints and back felt worse back then, than squatting now just thinking back.

Like PTC said. "The body will adapt, but I dont believe you can do it forever."
I'm sure anyone can adapt to it. For how long though, who knows.

/imo

Shit I'm rambling on again. :(

If John broz says something I'd be inclined to listen. The lifters coming out of his gym are nothing short of stunning.

What he's talking about is IMO more about having a strong mind. Taking 50 attempts to hit a pr! That's just stone cold determination.
Posted via Mobile Device

I used to squat x3 a week early on. Back then I didnt care much about uni and my days revolved around training, so I had some 7000 calories everyday and would sleep 12+ hours a night.

Around 160kg I couldnt squat every session, despite psyching up (previously always a recipe for a PR) my weights kept going down, and the only way I could feel 'strong' before a workout as I discovered the day a car hit me was when I missed a session.

I tend to be very skeptical of high volume like this, and theres a lot of strong lifters out there (westside guys, the sheiko teams etc) who are hell strong despite not being 'man' enough to max out for 50 reps every session.

• WORK UP TO A MAX, BACK OF 10-20KG AND DO 2′S OR 3′S TO GET TO 30-50 REPS TOTAL FOR THE WORKOUT. PERCENTS ARE BS.

i like this bit very much. sometimes i like to do an extra days training and on this day i will usually only squat and i do it this way although not quite up to that many reps though.

that's one heck of a write up & video! It makes me so keen to head back into the gym at some point next week! Though, i wont be starting out with that template, of maxing out every week. Oddly, he coaches the same small amount of lifts my new program has (full snatch, clean & jerk, power snatch, clean & jerk, front & back squat).

who did he say his fav all time weightlifter was?

All is good if you want to take the risk of burning out or developing an injury that would force you out. The renowned Bulgarian weightlifting coach Ivan Abadjiev did not believe in assistance work nor did he believe in backing off. Training 3 x /day 6 or 7 days a week was not unheard of. But being loaded with performance enhancement drugs was not unheard of either!

Furthermore, when you have lifters at your disposal who are ready to lift, then it matters not when your mentality is based upon: burn out as many as is necessary for only the fittest lifters shall survive!

HE DOESN’T BELIEVE IN OVERTRAINING, ONLY UNDERTRAINING.
He obviously doesn't believe in smart training either or better still, that not everyone has the same capacity for high intensity training done frequently, which takes me back to coach Ivan Abadjiev above.

Bulgaria's lifters got to the top then disappeared, unlike Russian lifters. Remember lifters like Vasily Alexiev or David Rigert come to mind. You may say well how about the pocket Hercules Naim Süleymanoğlu? I say that's one of your "survivors". The man used to train 3 times a day at times. I wonder how many of us here including Bret can survive such torture!

So let's get things in perspective here and know what the possible consequences of such training are; know well that it's not always rosy as portrayed.

Fadi.

Good post. I have previously stated that this training, and for that matter all training, works for a period of time for the majority.

There will always be a freak out there who breaks the mould, like Mendes, the freaks are NOT who we should be basing our training on, it should be our peers.

Yes you can adapt and do very well on this, but for how long?

Best way to find out? Try it of course.

There will always be a freak out there who breaks the mould, like Mendes, the freaks are NOT who we should be basing our training on, it should be our peers.
Pure GOLD Markos. The irony is that most if not all (say) popular magazine articles avoid the 99% who are normal and focus their writings on that freak as you have put it. In the process shifting everyone's attention to where it should not really be. That's what has prompted me to respond to this thread in the first place coach...just to balance things out really and nothing more.

Fadi.

i posted this because i thought that it was extreme and gave a different perspective on training. not really as a guideline to train. no doubt you would need to be a freak to train in that gym but it doesn't mean that some of those things can't be valuable to the normal person.

i think if your interested you should read Matthew Perryman's
Thread about high freq training and he's blog post on he's experiences. Matthew is a normal person with a powerlifting powerbulding background

Here is the first post of the thread.

High freq training thread.

I'm currently in the middle of an email discussion w/ a few folks (including Mathias Wernbom from Sweden) e-acquaintances that like to talk shop about this topic, and we're talking about the potential uses and effects of high training frequency - something on the order of training lifts and/or muscle groups (for the BBers) upwards of 5-6x (or more) a week.

I spoke to Glenn and Michael about this previously, so I figure we can use this thread to hash things out. I know the two of you have done a lot of work on how training stress affects athletes, and in particular Olympic weightlifters, which is pretty relevant to the discussion given some of the limitations in generalizing other research to this specific instance.

My own interest in high-frequency lifting came about recently thanks to John Broz. Some of his comments and methods seemed pretty outrageous at first glance, but instead of writing off what he was saying, I started thinking about it - what if he was right? I know I've personally trained with more of a powerlifting/power-bodybuilding kind of emphasis over the years, and we always just took it for granted that you should limit the number of sessions per week; if you didn't, you'd certainly overtrain, later if not sooner.

But after thinking about it, I can find quite a few examples of very strong or otherwise high-performing athletes that seem to train "entirely too much" based on orthodox training wisdom.

Of course it's easy to write this off as genetic freaks, or steroid users, or both. While I can't deny that there's almost certainly some of that involved, I think it's also disingenuous to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Absolute results may rely on genetics and drugs, but that doesn't mean the relative gains of an individual can't be assessed on a different scale.

I always think back to Bob Peoples, who pulled over 700 lbs weighing 165 back in the 1940s. The man supposedly deadlifted up to a max every single day, alternating that with occasional phases of squatting up to a max every single day. Steroids simply can't be entered into the equation, because of the time frame. I suppose you could argue that he was a genetic wonder, but there are some other factors that I think can contribute - I'll touch on that shortly.

After searching around the last few weeks, I've seen a lot of similar instances of this style of training. IPF powerlifters, namely the Russian national team, train with a ton of volume and moderate intensities (the Boris Sheiko programs floating around). Brian Siders, the only American with an IPF record, trains 6 days a week with insane volume.

Weightlifters are pretty widely known for this kind of thing. Broz was influenced heavily by Krastev and the entire Bulgarian method, which we probably all know for being very high volume/high frequency. Glenn, I saw some comments from you not too long ago RE: Broz and how you have some of your guys training upwards of (I think) 9 times a week. For that matter, the weightlifting team at my gym trains with not much besides the lifts and back/front squats five days a week (that I know of; it may be more).

The reasoning I've heard is that the snatch and C&J are fast lifts with little to no eccentric component, so it's easier to train them frequently. The three powerlifts are slow, grinding movements with a larger eccentric component, and this makes it harder to train them frequently.

The Russian lifters and Siders aside, this was also brought up in our email discussion: http://styrkeloft.no/nyheter/frekven...vensprosjektet (run it through the Google translator if you're not fluent in Norwegian). The entire paper should be published at some point, but even the preliminary results are quite interesting.

The authors apparently consider skill practice to be important even to the powerlifts - and that's also not unlike what Pavel Tsatsouline has been going on about: to consider strength as a skill to be practiced, instead of something to be "worked out".

Even some of Bill Starr's older writings suggested that, at some point, you'd have to start adding workouts in order to keep improving. The reasoning being that intensity, even cycled, can only be manipulated so much - and once you get to a stage where you have to consider monthly or multi-monthly progress, you don't have a lot of wiggle room. You can add volume each workout, but even that will eventually overwhelm you if you constrain the number of workouts. So realistically you don't have many options but to add workouts.

I like Starr's analogy of widening the base of the pyramid - you can only build so high for a given foundation. Once you've hit that limit, you have to widen the base - do more workouts and improve overall work capacity - to keep improving. It makes sense, at least given the workouts of high-level athletes. Not only do you see it in a lot of the high-level strength competitors, but even athletes in other sports tend to maintain a large number of weekly workouts, even if those workouts aren't all resistance-training.

We've also brought up some of the research showing advantages to breaking up a given volume of work into two (or more) daily workout sessions, in order to take advantage of a fresh state at each session.

Now so far I've only really covered the strength/skill component of the issue. What prompted the original discussion was talk about how this method could be used for purposes of stimulating hypertrophy, particularly in those that may be near that genetic asymptote of muscle-mass.

Of course you can't really separate strength from size, although you can certainly make a case that how you arrive at strength can make a huge difference. It would stand to reason that a similar approach could be used for this very purpose.

The biggest refutations I've seen to this approach are of course the classic appeal to overtraining - you'll certainly burn out sooner or later. Glenn & Michael, I've seen some of your older research into this, and you've noted that there's definitely a dropoff in both real performance and the test/cortisol ratio with several weeks of heavy loading.

This would seem like a pretty clear rationale to build in back-off/tapering weeks. The criticism leveraged against Broz is that he doesn't do that, just tells you to train through it. That sounds insane until you consider that he doesn't have his guys working up to pre-programmed numbers, nor does he have them going to psyched-up competitive-type maxes. Working up to a comfortable daily-max is an entirely different beast, at least in my experience - and I think his method actually does build in back-offs simply for the fact that an overreached athlete isn't going to be able (physically or mentally) to come in and knock himself out with an intensity-type stress.

I'd also like to think that this kind of method, where you just suck it up and keep coming back for more punishment, is a useful adaptation in its own right. It fits in with Starr's comments about widening the base of the pyramid. It fits with examples like Bob Peoples (a farmer who was doubtless in excellent condition and able to tolerate and thrive on large amounts of work). It even fits with what I've always heard about the older Russian/Soviet methods, which emphasized having their athletes "in shape" in a general sense.

It seems to me that there's a lot of data points that suggest this is a useful method for a variety of goals, and not a lot of concrete research to argue against it - indeed, most of the refutations are either entirely theoretical in nature; or they dismiss the method outright as being only useful for genetic freaks and/or steroid users; or they respond only to lifestyle factors, such as how being young/jobless/etc. can make it possible but no one else could possibly make use of such an approach.

I think there's certainly a kernel of truth to all of those refutations, but I also think there may be some utility. To that end, I've been trying the method myself the last few months (training everything four times per week and five sessions for the last two weeks), and I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. There's been no loss of motivation, no burnout, no accumulated soreness, nothing like that. That may change given time, but I'm also being very careful about the volume I'm doing in each session to avoid that. I'm using RPEs to auto-regulate the peak weight each day, and being that I'm still breaking myself in, I can't say I'm anywhere near really taxing weights yet - but it's heading that direction.

In any case, I'd like to leave it open for any and all discussion or input on the subject, because I find this concept fascinating. After having more or less plateaued on most of my lifts for the last few years (partly due to injuries), I feel like I'm thriving on this particular approach.

Sorry for wall of text but if you read it i know you'll learn something and find it interesting

Do the lifters they ran those experiments on have full time jobs, active social life and have to keep a limit on how much time & money they can spend at the gym and on foods/supplements? You know, like the rest of us.

If not, they should really state all those conditions up front.

This is something I have thought of before but I have always thought of keeping the volume low and not make it a traditional workout more of a motor skill development. I think the points listed probably need more
comprehensive explanations to ascertain the actual method they use. Will have to look into the guys experiment that you posted Haz.
Posted via Mobile Device

i will add an extension to the wall of text.

Observations on Bulgarian-inspired strength training

« Hypothesis: Inflammation is the main reason you can’t train daily.

2010 June 23
By Matt

As I’ve alluded to in the past few posts and many of my Twitter updates, I’ve been experimenting with high-frequency training in a half-hearted manner for the last few months and with more commitment over the last six weeks. I’ve amassed a number of general observations and nuggets of practical wisdom that I want to lay out in no particular order.

• The individual workouts have to take a back seat to the overall training effect. This means that showing up and doing something is better than taking the day off because you don’t feel like squatting again.
  • You must have some way of grading your effort, whether that is recording RPEs or just knowing when the lift stops being springy and explosive. Grinding or “training on nerve” is a no-no.
  • “Squatting to a max daily” sounds far more sensational than the reality. Non-psyched daily maxes aren’t nearly as strenuous as psyched-up or “intense” contest-type maxes.
  • Pre-workout stimulants and “training on nerve” should be kept to a minimum. I have a coffee before I lift because I train at 7am. Otherwise, keep the workouts as free-range as possible
  • Same for gear. All my lifts are being done completely raw, which in this case means no belt.
  • The common thread here is to remove things which might artificially increase your ability to handle weight. To train frequently requires scaling back your perceived effort in each session. Training aids may boost your ego but the added stress is not compatible with frequent lifting.
  • Do lots of warmup sets. I consider eight sets to be the minimum as you ramp up to the daily max. Lots of small jumps with brief rest intervals is better than fewer bigger jumps. This will also impact your daily max. This is also good.
  • The absolute weight you lift on a given day really does matter. I began with front squats, which limited the weight I would handle any given workout. I’ve begun to rotate back squats in on alternate days, which substantially increases the absolute weight on my back. The difference is relevant. Plan to have bad workouts when you increase the stress in ways such as this.
  • If you’re just starting this kind of plan, being conservative will pay off dividends. Get used to the frequency first, by training often and working to conservative daily maxes. Once you’ve done this for a month or so, you can start to add in more warmups and add in back-off sets. Do this gradually and do not be afraid to cut the back-offs out if your recovery is substantially affected.
  • How you feel on any given day is deceptive. You will have many days where you come in sore and feeling like crap. You will have good workouts despite this. You will also have bad workouts just as you’d expect. If you keep showing up, you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • The idea behind this system is to adapt to the frequent workloads. The bad workouts and the good workouts are unimportant next to this. You are conditioning your body for a specific adaptation. The payoff will come months down the line, not with instant PRs. Your body will adapt if you are consistent and patient.
  • As you adapt to each new level of stress, the PRs will start to come anyway.
  • While it’s too soon to say for sure, there are some potentially interesting effects on body composition. I’m noticing improved size in the hips, thighs, shoulders, arms, and chest. This could be because I’ve been unable to train these muscle groups in any serious way for the last few years. It could also be from the frequent overload. It could be both. It could be all in my head.
  • You can eat much more food. In fact, you probably should in order to support the training.
  • Something will hurt every day. Ibuprofen and Tiger Balm will be your friends.
  • My chronic injuries, specifically partial tears in my right shoulder and a tear in my right quad, are both complaining about this in subtle ways, but despite that they feel much less fragile than any point I can recall.
  • As I suggested yesterday, controlling inflammation may be critical for this to work, especially at each stage of the process. Training to a daily max 5-6 days a week is not, in itself, that hard if you are in any kind of shape. Doing lots of warmups and several back-offs may change this. Stay on top of recovery methods between workouts. Ice sore muscles. Take ibuprofen. Keep your diet nutrient-rich and preferably calorie-rich.
  • It may be that the biggest benefit of this kind of training is the mental toughness and perspective that comes along with it. The Smolov squat cycle and the Russian squat routine once looked outrageous. Now they don’t seem so bad.
  • You also realize how much you truly are capable of if you just ignore the body’s sickness signals and go lift anyway. The weights still go up. You just feel like crap in the mean time. Even that fades with time.
  • We’ve all taken it for granted that, when we start to feel burnt out, we should rest, and if we don’t, we’ll soon be overtraining. But if our goal is to force an adaptation to a new level of performance, does that follow? In evolutionary terms, there would be little benefit to the need to rest for 48-72 hours between strenuous bouts of exercise. We assign a special argument to resistance training, yet there is only a circumstantial scientific basis for doing so.
  • As I noted yesterday, the brain adapts to exercise-induced stressors. It is conceivable, to the point of likely, that even the CNS and its cascade of “overtraining effects” would adapt to Bulgarian-style lifting if the stimulus to do so is provided.
  • I would also suggest that this adaptive pressure only holds true if you’re training within certain boundaries. Those boundaries are more than we’ve been led to believe, with 100% certainty. However there are still limits. Doing lots of short heavy sets with moderate exertion is different from racking up 50 sets of “bodybuilding style” training to a point of exhaustion.
  • I’m of the belief that the boundary is past the point where physiological signals tell us to stop, but before the point of true exhaustion, where truly insane drug-assisted training programs come into the picture. That grey area is what is worth exploring, and what I’m attempting to explore with this approach.
  • My prediction is that you will require down or unloading weeks from time to time. I also predict that if you are paying attention to the daily max concept, this will happen on its own (i.e., you simply won’t be able to rack up stressful amounts of work without breaking the rule on no grinders).
  • I would also suggest that this kind of training would complement a more intensity-based style of lifting after an interval of 4-8 weeks to milk the adaptations. It would be useful to consider this concentrated loading or accumulation training.

i posted this because i thought that it was extreme and gave a different perspective on training. not really as a guideline to train. no doubt you would need to be a freak to train in that gym but it doesn't mean that some of those things can't be valuable to the normal person.

Haz, no one here is objecting to the HFT as I myself have advocated such a principle with my HIIT program. However the point we're making here is that HFT has to be matched with the appropriate intensity. I mean it stands to reason and it's a natural human trait/fact that the higher the intensity the less time one can continue with it. The same with HFT, the more you train the smarter and more calculated your training would have to be. Failing to do that would be met with severe immune system suppression. That is why I was upfront from the beginning when I mentioned the use of performance enhancements.

You can supercharge your V8, but you better adjust the brakes, the diff, and God knows what else to balance the new power output that your new engine is going to be generating. Failing to do so would only result in that V8 hitting a wall.

PS: I'm on your side Haz, all I'm saying is that whoever advocates such a brutal way to training better be upfront of what is first required and the possible consequences should the body not be able to cope., that' s all

Fadi.

I still beleive that this style of training is possible to a "normal" athlete. Just needs to be done a little smarter ie program deload weeks etc.