• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

At what point did you start needing straps

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
For those of you doing deadlifts, heavy shrugs, etc.
What weight did you start needing to use straps to assist your grip?

Never, but at around 8-10 tonnes of deadlift volume your hands just cant take anymore, its a volume thing for me not weight

Started using chalk for DLs....never looked back....grip improved tenfold.

Still use straps for shrugs sometimes cos chalks not always convenient.

If I'm doing double overhand grip for deadlifts, my grip dies above 180kg. Have never used them for normal alternate grip deadlifts. For high pulls and speed movement which is all double overhand grip, the straps go on from about 130kg upwards.

Never, but at around 8-10 tonnes of deadlift volume your hands just cant take anymore, its a volume thing for me not weight

Same for me, but mine starts to slip after about half the volume above. I dare say actual weight isn't a factor until you hit a couple of multiples above your BW.

When my right hand crapped out after a knife went through it.

Not really DL, but shrugs

At what point did you start needing straps
From day one as a weightlifter due to the style of lifting (thrusting of the hips which places more stress on the grip). Furthermore, any lift off the floor (and shrugs) that was not either a full clean or a snatch required the lifter to use straps. Olympic weightlifters do not view the usage of straps as a sign of weakness as some bodybuilders do. Weightlifters have more than their fair share of ripped hands, so there's never been a need to make matters worse for when one really needs to use his hook grip.

Started using chalk for DLs....never looked back....grip improved tenfold.

Still use straps for shrugs sometimes cos chalks not always convenient.

This ∆∆∆∆∆

I have my own bar at the gym with a "proper" knurl so straps not needed. In the past I used straps as the bars the gym have are cheap crap. Chalk is, strangely, hugely effective in improving grip contact. A little messy but then you look da chit with chalk on yer bro shirt.

I rarely do high rep deads but when I do I use straps to ease up on the grip as my knurling can remove a chunk of hand if your push too hard.

Attachments

• 1bh8.jpg
    1bh8.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 36
This ∆∆∆∆∆

I have my own bar at the gym with a "proper" knurl so straps not needed. In the past I used straps as the bars the gym have are cheap crap. Chalk is, strangely, hugely effective in improving grip contact. A little messy but then you look da chit with chalk on yer bro shirt.

I rarely do high rep deads but when I do I use straps to ease up on the grip as my knurling can remove a chunk of hand if your push too hard.

Chalk is the chit for grip. I've started using it when I fap.

I used to avoid straps as everyone tried to shame you for using them. Then I realised the guys with the best results and lifts used them. Started using them and my deadlifts/rows/back weights went up and I made some solid progress. If you want to work the forearms, do forearm specific exercises.