• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ausbb roundtable - Texas Method and Bill Starr's Madcow 5x5

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
The Texas Method and Bill Starr's Madcow 5x5
These programs are both intermediate programs and have similar concept

• Have you been successfully or unsuccessfully with these programs?
  • What are your favorite resources, spreadsheets, calculators?
  • What tweaks for these programs?
  • Do you have any questions, comments, or advice to give about the program?

Used Madcow with success. Might try another cycle when I'm training at home again.

Not sure if I did the Texas method or another one but it was a lot less complicated than the madcow one. Did it a fair while ago now and made very good gains so looked at doing another 5x5 but the madcow looked extremely to follow if you weren't writing it down or doing the spreadsheet.

All great programs - straight to the point, no fluff, great for strength gains and size.

Been doing 5x5 on and off or including it into my training sessions for the last 10 years.

5 x 5 has worked wonders for me. If you don't puss out, up the percentages as you get used to it and hit whats meant to be hit each week. The 3rd day of squatting seems like torture but works a treat if kept light.

yeah I'm always intrigued when someone craps on programs that are known to work - going by 0ni's lifts currently I doubt he would have been up to the level required for the Texas Method at least.

they're not really suited for a beginner, I'm not a fan of 5x5 at babby weight personally, also due to the design of the Texas Method, a beginner isn't going to see gains as fast as doing Starting Strength or other beginner orientated routine.

they're not really suited for a beginner, I'm not a fan of 5x5 at babby weight personally, also due to the design of the Texas Method, a beginner isn't going to see gains as fast as doing Starting Strength or other beginner orientated routine.

Texas method is still pretty much beginner routine. Madcow had beginner variations. If you can't make gains on it as a beginner you have some serious problems. May as well take up knitting.

yeah I'm always intrigued when someone craps on programs that are known to work - going by 0ni's lifts currently I doubt he would have been up to the level required for the Texas Method at least.

What do you mean?

One routine or program is generally about as good as the other, so long as it is based in sound training principles. It's not the program holding you back, it's generally the lack of food and rest
At least for the first 6 years of training

One routine or program is generally about as good as the other, so long as it is based in sound training principles. It's not the program holding you back, it's generally the lack of food and rest
At least for the first 6 years of training
meanwhile earlier in the thread.........
Saw little to no gains on both of these systems

surely if you could read that you could read the rest of the thread where I explained it Darkoz
you're not that stupid, I know you better

Maybe you should start with the very first post. "Have you been successfully or unsuccessfully with these programs?" [sic]