• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Barbel squats = painful

Headley

BigRed Kunce
Hey guys,

Having an issue when doing my barbel squats, my shoulders and arms are not very flexible at all and i struggle to hold the bar as i do my routine.

What is a good stretch to do to get my shoulders and arms flexible enough to grip the bar better?

Go right down in weight - as in the Mehdi Starting Strength program - go down to a ridiculously low weight, and gradually go up each session.

You can keep up your leg work - and your ego, if necessary - by doing heavy leg presses &/or dead-lifts, but with this squat routine, you'll learn to get it right.

When I first started (without any trainer's instruction), I got my legs reasonably well developed (at least to my own, low, standards), using leg presses, and other machine exercises, but I was never really comfortable with squats. I thought I would need some sort of "yoke" to keep the bar in place.

Anyway, many years later, taking up lifting again, but without a gym, squats were my only leg option. I struggled like you did for quite a while, but since I have done the "Starting Strenght" program (which says to start off squatting an empty bar - I didn't go that far), my form has improved automatically, and I don't have a problem placing the bar now (I'm up to 5 sets of 5 reps with 98kg on the bar, as of today).

At the moment i don't have anything on the bar to make sure i do get the form right. With or without weight though, holding the bar hurts my shoulders cause i have to stretch pretty far

Will try chins, dips and rows :)

Last edited:
Shoulder dislocates.

how far apart are your hands on the bar?
Where does the bar sit on your back/traps?

Tried front squats while you get shoulder flexibility?

Some mobility work, foam rolling and stretching should help. You could be tight in the chest, where your chest connects to your shoulder, triceps and biceps, that's what I find for myself personally. Get a massage ball into there and see if it helps. Are you doing high bar or low bar? I find high bar alot easier than low bar on my shoulders and getting into position.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

At the moment i don't have anything on the bar to make sure i do get the form right. With or without weight though, holding the bar hurts my shoulders cause i have to stretch pretty far

Will try chins, dips and rows :)

pressing behind the neck is also a good exercise.

actually a couple of sets of presses B4 squatting is a good thing.

pressing behind the neck is also a good exercise.

actually a couple of sets of presses B4 squatting is a good thing.

I agree with this. BTN presses starting off very light were great for shoulders.

The current fad is recommending foam rolling and mobility work for everything and I can say both haven't ever done a thing for any injury I have ever had. Absolute waste of time.

Hey guys,

Having an issue when doing my barbel squats, my shoulders and arms are not very flexible at all and i struggle to hold the bar as i do my routine.

What is a good stretch to do to get my shoulders and arms flexible enough to grip the bar better?

I can't believe that anyone would have problems with shoulder flexibility if I don't have problems with it...
I've had 7 shoulder reconstructions (and Bristow procedure on both sides) and can still just manage to get my arms around enough, but I do need to have the bar pretty high.. Really need to squeeze my shoulder blades together hard too. I need to position my hands, duck my head under the bar and lean forward, using my body weight and traps to get the bar into position.
From there the weight of the bar is what keeps everything set..

I agree with this. BTN presses starting off very light were great for shoulders.

The current fad is recommending foam rolling and mobility work for everything and I can say both haven't ever done a thing for any injury I have ever had. Absolute waste of time.

I could not agree more with you.

like massage...balls and rollers feel nice, good for releaving a spasm or two.

The one and only thing that is going to increase flexibility (an element of strength) is correctly applied resistance and most importantly the negative portion of it.

Shoulder mobility is not just about two or three exercises

If you have mobility problems at 20, do you think that by doing the same limited number of exercises you are going to improve your condition at 40?

Think about this for a minute.

Will focus on my shoulders when warming up, specifically some good stretches. Will also do that after my squats

The bloke didn't say he had an injury.
He's looking for some flexibility.. stretching and massage of muscles connecting in and around the shoulders will help a lot.

If you have a Scap injury then I see your point.

But tightness in traps, rear delt, and chest where it joins up near shoulder will all cause difficulty getting under the bar (extreme case I'd say) so the current fad of rolling and mobility and massage there will see great improvements.

Will focus on my shoulders when warming up, specifically some good stretches. Will also do that after my squats

I find this the quickest and easiest before squatting...

Called a door stretch but works perfect in squat rack

doorwaystretch.jpg