• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Headley

BigRed Kunce
Hey guys,

I think the most i have ever pressed consistently in the past is 80 kilos :s

I think i could maybe 1 rep 100 kilos?

How can i improve on that weight?

Bench more.
Accessory movements to flat bench.
Strengthen/grow triceps. People forget how much triceps play a part in it all, hell even biceps kick in to help lift the weight

Get your upper back real tight. Then get your feet planted real solid. Push through your toes and feet until your back arches and your upper back is pushed hard into the bench. Then squeeze the bar real tight and pull the bar apart. That will tighten your traps and lats even more and bring your elbows in a bit, which is what you want.

Then get even tighter.

Tighter still.

You should be so uncomfortable at this stage you want to give up. Now you are ready to do one rep. No one on this planet can keep that tightness for more than 3 reps so just to that. 3 reps for 3-10 sets (obviously working up a set a week, from 3x3 to 3x10 reps). Then add weight and start again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw&spfreload=10

Hey guys,

I think the most i have ever pressed consistently in the past is 80 kilos :s

I think i could maybe 1 rep 100 kilos?

How can i improve on that weight?
Give partial reps a chance. You (and everyone else) are strong in most of the lift, but are let down due to a weak portion of that total sum. So identify that part, in order for it to make it into the whole.

Last edited:
Fadi has pointed out a very important form of training, one I was briefly caught when doing my maximal strength course as part of my's PDP's for my cert 4 in Fitness.
I believe the technique is called Maximal Isometric loading and Maximal Starting Strength at different joint angles, usually done in an environment where on can safely re-rack a bar from any given height.
When I did the training, I believe we used 140kg at the bottom 'sticking point', from which I had to maintain an isometric contraction for 10s.
We also completed partial reps with a lighter weight in the weaker portions of our lifts. I discovered than I am equally strong throughout my bench press and squat which came as a surprise to me. However my deadlift I am slightly different from the bottom. It's hard to explain, there are probably countless videos online.

Below, I have attached a photo of the periodisation we use for clients whose main goals are to get strong. This is used throughout the gym and by numerous sporting clubs.
This one was crafted by the man who trains the Irish Rugby Team. If anyone wants any of these periodisation charts, I am planning on scanning some stuff soon, so can get a better copy.

I'm no expert on this, however I have seen it implemented and it's effectiveness on clients who are either extremely efficient athletes experiencing diminishing returns or pure newbies struggling to make ground from less structured training.

20160728_222132.jpg

Headley, there are variety of ways to get your bench up.

I suggest training on a weight you can do 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps with a couple of minutes rest with good form with last set pretty hard without going to absolute failure.

do several weeks of that, freshen up a week by going even lighter, and then push hard the next week for one or two sets going a bit heavier. Then you repeat these micro-cycles.

I've done partials and they must work for some but all it did was get me stronger in the area I did the partial. Made no difference to my bench.

I've got long arms which suck for the bench but I found that for me nothing beats lots of pressing. Both bench and overhead variations.

A lot of people state; oh it is bench pressing and lot of it, or its dipping or pressing overhead, tricep extensions the list is long, I think that for the hobbyist, bodybuilder or whatever you like to tag yourself as doing all those overtime is optimal.
atcthe end of the day it comes down to mechanics that being leverages.
but all things being equal the man with the longer arms will be much stronger, the bench press isn't always a measure of strength in the upper body.

The bench press is not a good exercise.

hitting arbitrary numbers isn't a result of just doing one or two things.
in the case of the op, trying to get to 100kg?
what for?

Last edited:
I don't go for numbers I go for progression. Progression can be achieved many different ways.