• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
When you are doing bent over rows, how wide do you prefer to grip the bar and why, do you go around the same width as you bench or do you go narrower?

I've been messing around with these lately and I'm not really a fan using a barbell. Dumbbell rows are fine with me though

Narrower than I bench, about shoulder width. Just seems like I can squeeze the contraction better with that grip.

People do recommend bench width, so the exercise is the polar opposite of a bench, but it just feels too uncomfortable and targets the traps too much. I find a grip slightly wider than shoulder width is a good compromise.

narrower than bench.

Inverse rows (where you pull yourself up to the bar from underneath) is when I do it bench width.

yeah slightly narrower than bench for BB.

Been doing DB rows lately with hand and knee on a flat bench, but think my form is off due to feeling it in lower back

Given up on barbells rows. Chest supported Hammer Row and cable rows...sometimes dumbell rows.

have always hated bent over rows. there are so many similar exercises that can be done with much better form with chest against pad. I prefer them rather than do a movement in an awkward position.

Why?
please elucidate
Yea.. I really dislike them.

I think in terms of lat activation and biomechanics, a supported dumbbell row is up there..

i also really like hammer strength iso-lateral low rows and high rows, along with cable rows, and the hammer strength iso-lateral adduction one.

i also don't go past midline, lats do not hyper extend shoulder (that is function of rear delt and there are better choices for this), and i don't like the vulnerable position it puts me in from anterior humeral glide

Yea.. I really dislike them.

I think in terms of lat activation and biomechanics, a supported dumbbell row is up there..

i also really like hammer strength iso-lateral low rows and high rows, along with cable rows, and the hammer strength iso-lateral adduction one.

i also don't go past midline, lats do not hyper extend shoulder (that is function of rear delt and there are better choices for this), and i don't like the vulnerable position it puts me in from anterior humeral glide
Well said, I screwed my shoulder for 1/4 of 2013 going too far on rows. Fucks some people up.

I just row the bar as violently into my chest as possible with no regard to technique or form

hate is probably too strong, but I would prefer many other back exercises over bent over rows.

I just don't like bending over when doing any exercise, I would rather be sitting or lying on a machine or hanging from a bar like a monkey.

Last edited: