• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best straps for deadlifting/ rack pulls?

Davepuppies

Puppy Kunce
I want to start doing more rack pulls, but having had a fair break from gym, my grip strength gives out before my back/ posteria chain.
i find I can hold the bar ok up to about 140-160kgs, but going beyond that my grip gives out, but I feel my back could go heavier.

i intend to keep lifting without straps until my grip gives up, as I understand this will build my grip strength best, but will do another set or two with more weight with straps.

back in the day I had figure 8 straps, but they could be a pain in the arse sometimes.

is a single strap the best?

are some brands better than others?

I've used Shiek straps in the past.
They work ok. I don't like the long tails, they get in the way.

These ones.

41PWTzfpmEL._SX466_.jpg

I just use cheap ebay ones. They are fantastic and I haven't had a problem. They are austotex brand or something?
I find that my form greatly suffers without straps, I've got very soft hands.

I wrap the same way my grip goes. So strap up the length of the hand. Don't think it matters, just the way I've always done it. Find it easier to tighten them up once they're wrapped around doing it that way.

I might try the split grip, as I am still using overhand grip at 160. Might pull another 10 or 20 with split grip.

I am doing reps, not 1 RM powerlifting type stuff.

Might even persevere strapless for a while and see if I can increase the weight/ grip strength. Everyone loves big forearms!

Opposing grip. Sometimes I use straps when I feel like a weak homo.

Doesn't help that my right grip is rooted due to having a disagreement with a fishing knife.

The strap wraps around the opposite side of the bar from your palm. So, if you are standing over the bar with a normal grip, the strap goes under the bar and wraps back over the top. That way, when the bar tries to roll out of your hand, the strap pulls back against your wrist and stops the bar from turning and sliding down your palm.

If you are using straps, it's pointless to use an alternative grip. Plus a double overhand is much safer for your biceps. Tearing your bicep is no joke.

photo_42xs.jpg

I personally like the Versa Gripp style, heaps easier than wrapping the longer single tails, can get cheaper versions as well that work just as good.

I've broken several pairs of straps. I recommend either the spud inc straps or some leather ones like WoodyAllen posted.
Both are cheap from undergroundelite.com.au

Has anyone used leather straps before and if so how durable were they? Best ones Ive ever had were 2" thick as fark cotton. I've actually still got them and they're about 8-9 years old. A bit thrashed but still comfy and sit in the gym bag as a spare pair. Had a pair of 1" sheik ones that were good but a bit too thin and needed to be about 50mm longer, I left them in the gym a couple of months ago. Also got a pair of nylon harbinger ones with rubber thread on the inside surface for grip - they're farkin terrible and don't recommend them to anyone! Interested in leather ones, just can't believe they'd last longer that some of the cotton ones out there. @oni; have you used those spud inc ones? They look like a nylon seat belt type material, I find nylon straps can be a bit slippery and don't grip as well as cotton.

Go to burnings, but a tie down strap for your car, cut some pieces to length and tape the end together, you have 3 or 4 sets for about $5

Like these

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420100437229.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420100437229.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 17
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420100473588.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420100473588.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 17
Has anyone used leather straps before and if so how durable were they? Best ones Ive ever had were 2" thick as fark cotton. I've actually still got them and they're about 8-9 years old. A bit thrashed but still comfy and sit in the gym bag as a spare pair. Had a pair of 1" sheik ones that were good but a bit too thin and needed to be about 50mm longer, I left them in the gym a couple of months ago. Also got a pair of nylon harbinger ones with rubber thread on the inside surface for grip - they're farkin terrible and don't recommend them to anyone! Interested in leather ones, just can't believe they'd last longer that some of the cotton ones out there. @oni; have you used those spud inc ones? They look like a nylon seat belt type material, I find nylon straps can be a bit slippery and don't grip as well as cotton.

My leather straps broke when I was doing shrugs with 380kg
They had slowly warped over time. I think if you never go over 250kg they should be fine but if you regularly go above that weight then I'd get something more durable like tow strap material

My leather straps broke when I was doing shrugs with 380kg
They had slowly warped over time. I think if you never go over 250kg they should be fine but if you regularly go above that weight then I'd get something more durable like tow strap material

Yeah I can imagine the material would be durable but I that type of material can be slippery, especially if you've got sweaty hands. At the end of hte day you're only talking 25 big ones.

Yeah I can imagine the material would be durable but I that type of material can be slippery, especially if you've got sweaty hands. At the end of hte day you're only talking 25 big ones.

I used to rough the leather up on the knurling of the bar and then chalk them before I trained

Yeah they are very good. Especially if you're a weightlifter.
I only got thicker one's because I like to shrug very heavy and didn't want another bloody nose