• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

This is yet an experiment within an experiment. Most of you are aware of what I'm doing in my training journal, and that I no longer squat..., or do any leg pressing/lunging movements. So the question is this: do you think I can build my legs to a respectable size (or at least to their former size at 28" at 5'3"/162.5cm), or do you think I'm simply kidding myself, and if so why?

Exercises I'll be doing for legs would be as follows:

1. Leg extensions
2. Leg curls
3. Cable adductions
4. Cable abduction
5. Cable kick backs

All the above will be done in my current training manner, with sets of 100 reps total and a full burn.

Your opinions are welcomed. Thank you.

I would say yes (but have limit experience) in that you are targeting your legs directly, promotiny new growth as you a performing different exercises with different load to you hay day. my thoughts :cool:

Last edited:
I would say yes (but have limit experience) in that you are targeting your legs directly, promotiny new growth as you a performing different exercises with different load to you hay day. my thoughts :cool:
Ok, thanks for your thoughts.

I think I'm your case that you should be able to get them back to where they have previously been but unsure if it would work for a novice or someone starting from scratch. Muscle memory should get you a long way but my opinion is that you need a compound movement for overall development. That goes for anything, not just legs. But again, it's just my opinion.

I think I'm your case that you should be able to get them back to where they have previously been

I admire your optimism but not sure if I agree with it. You are aware of Fadi's previous achievements both as a Weightlifter and Bodybuilder I assume?

Leg Extentions only - interesting.

Yes of course. I guess it depends how much they have 'shrunk' in that time or how long it has been.

I would guess you could build a good set of legs with just isolation. The biggest part I would struggle with is the motivation to continue to do those exercises.

Leg Extensions only?

Why not. Work them hard enough. Why wouldn't you get good legs. Got to also do something for the hams as well though.

And good as in better than 95% of the general population, not saying you should do that if you want to step on stage.

Why not. Work them hard enough. Why wouldn't you get good legs. Got to also do something for the hams as well though.

And good as in better than 95% of the general population, not saying you should do that if you want to step on stage.

You think all the talk of Leg Extensions destroying the knee is all guff?

Secondly, a Man in his 50s would prolly want to stimulate his natural Test, HGH, IGF-1 etc as much as possible with the bigger lifts I would have assumed.

Secondly, a Man in his 50s would prolly want to stimulate his natural Test, HGH, IGF-1 etc as much as possible with the bigger lifts I would have assumed.

Walk, run, jump, squat, lunge they can all fuck your knees pretty good if you get some bad luck. I doubt leg extensions when done sensibly, like everything, are going to be any worse.

He's doing curls as well for the hammys. And sticking with his current 100rep plan, I think his knees will be fine

Thank you for your input Sir, you know I very much appreciate it.

Now let's move on to destroying two myths whilst we at it shall we...

There's no such thing as a gain in MPS through whatever minuscule amount of hormone released through training, even your mighty squats and dead lifts effort would fail to stimulate enough, or the required anabolic hormones to provide one with additional muscle growth.

Second myth I like to smash today is the training and catabolic effect through some rise in cortisol. Again and just the same as the so called anabolic hormones stimulous, there's such a minuscule amount that it's not going to have that negative or detrimental effect bodybuilders have been talking about for years.

Now I do not take credit for the above new and latest information, however all the credit must go to the professor himself, Dr. Stuart Phillips, whose videos I've already put up in my journal. Please do not take my word for what I'm sharing with you here Sir, but do like I did and email the professor directly if you wish him to send you his studies or at least explain how it is that such a minuscule amount of either anabolic or catabolic hormones during training would not elicit the effect magazines keep on raving about. Thank you, I've taken more than enough of your time, which like I said earlier, I sincerely do appreciate.

There's no such thing as a gain in MPS through whatever minuscule amount of hormone released through training, even your mighty squats and dead lifts effort would fail to stimulate enough, or the required anabolic hormones to provide one with additional muscle growth.

Second myth I like to smash today is the training and catabolic effect through some rise in cortisol. Again and just the same as the so called anabolic hormones stimulous, there's such a minuscule amount that it's not going to have that negative or detrimental effect bodybuilders have been talking about for years.

Now I do not take credit for the above new and latest information, however all the credit must go to the professor himself, Dr. Stuart Phillips, whose videos I've already put up in my journal. Please do not take my word for what I'm sharing with you here Sir, but do like I did and email the professor directly if you wish him to send you his studies or at least explain how it is that such a minuscule amount of either anabolic or catabolic hormones during training would not elicit the effect magazines keep on raving about. Thank you, I've taken more than enough of your time, which like I said earlier, I sincerely do appreciate.

Yes thanks Fadi. I am aware that there is no Hypertrophy improvements from increases of Test within the natural range, but recovery and the general Health benefits of increasing natural Test and HGH surely cannot be denied, particularly as we age.

It's how I've maintained my Brad Pitt good looks.

Cheers.

I think I'm your case that you should be able to get them back to where they have previously been but unsure if it would work for a novice or someone starting from scratch. Muscle memory should get you a long way but my opinion is that you need a compound movement for overall development. That goes for anything, not just legs. But again, it's just my opinion.
And I very much appreciate and respect your opinion.

You've made mention of utilising a compund movement in order to get an overall development. Well I couldn't agree with you more, hence you'd notice that I've included a multiple number of exercises in order to reach this outcome we both agree on. Thank you so much for your input mate, I appreciate it.

Thank you Barry, what you say makes a lot of sense to me.

Thanks you Fadi. Yes, I am aware that there is no Hypertrophy improvements from increases of Test within the natural range, but recovery and the general Health benefits of increasing natural Test and HGH surely cannot be denied, particularly as we age.

It's how I've maintained my Brad Pitt good looks.

Cheers.

Leg extensions are great, many thought and still believe they irritate the knee especially at contraction, this is opposite if you don't contract the quad or stop just short of it, that's where the problems exist.
to be a truly isolatory exercise like I've said before, make sure the back rest is angled back.
make sure you include an exercise for the glutes fadi.
what are you doing for them?

Sure you'll build muscle if you're overloading the leg muscles and forcing them to rebuild stronger. But you may have weak links in say your posterior chain due to not working the stabilisers like in a squat.

Personally I would add in some body weight exercises like box jumps and glute ham raises. Low impact on your knees and hips, but somewhat explosive compound movements.