• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Building my Quads and Hamstrings after ACL re construction

S

steveyboy

Hi all
It has been 8 months since I had a right knee operation which included an ACL reconstruction using my hamstring as the graft.

I now have 100% motion in the knee as of now although it is stiff when the leg is straight.

I have been completing a physio plan which involved movement and strengthening of all the muscles around the knee and the hamstring and also my glutes and glute stabilizers.

I have been working at all this pretty hard over the last 4 months and have leg muscle back to approx 80% of my pre injury mass/strength.

Right so the questions I am wanting answers to now that my legs are capable of weight based training are;

• What are the absolute best exercises would allow for serious growth of my quads and hamstrings that do not require single leg exercises?
Currently I am completing a twice a week leg regime of in order

1. Warm up light jog around the block for 8 minutes.
  2. Light stretch

• Barbell squats 30Kg 3 sets of 8 reps
  • Barbell lunges 20kg 3 sets of 8 reps each leg
  • Wall sit 90 degree angle 2 x 1 minute
  • Barbell Step ups 3 x 10 reps each leg
  • Theraband sideways walk whilst in quarter squat 1 minute (glutes)
  • Hamstring curls on Swiss ball 3 sets x 5 reps [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czf-1snzG2c&noredirect=1"]13 Swiss Ball Hamstring Curl - YouTube[/ame]

1. I then have a good stretch of all the muscles.
My question would be how can i get my muscles to grow faster and become stronger faster.

Any suggestions to the routine, I have a fantastic gym at home with barbells, weights, dumbbells of all sizes up to 30Kg, functional trainer, steppers, benches both incline and flat and would like some if any ideas on how to get my leg growth and strength a bit faster than the current progression as it has been pretty slow.

I am also in taking enough protein and eat 90% clean and I recover from the work outs fairly quick (2 days) but I guess that could mean i am not pushing hard enough.

All the best and look forward to your replies.

My first post :)

Hi mate, I have had my ACL recon'd before too (yes lots of op's here)
work on that VMO
That muscle holds the knee together!!

Before you go on that jog to warm up, warm that knee up!!
I would always do, without fail

seated straight leg raises 3x12 each leg. You will see the VMO switch on. I know its a single leg exercise, but to get serious growth elsewhere, you need the VMO active!
one legged squat off a step 3x10 each leg. Its hard to balance sometimes, but keep at it.

half squats with medicine ball between knees. 3x12

avoid leg extension machines, ok for VMO in bodybuilders, bad for ACL victims! lol
One youve done those warm-ups, then get into it! Run on grass as much as possible, nature strips instead of footpaths if you can.
Squats are good for quads and i was doing SLDL's and deads once my VMO's were ok...

long post, but i know alot about ACL recovery and went on to play for another 6years without any problems after taking my time with recovery....

Dont most physios have people do leg extensions during ACL recovery.

Probably. He can do them if he wants, I was just giving my experience from the recovery of my total acl rupture in 2005. The rehab stuff i did (religiously) worked well and has for other friends in the same predicament.

Last edited:
Hi Taurus and Bazza
Thanks Taurus awesome advice, I have been Working those VMO's throughout the recovery and they are probably the most recovered of my leg but yes lately I have backed off my VMO's so I better get back to it. Thanks heaps for the reply

My surgeon told me not to go anywhere near a leg extension machine or I could risk re rupture during recovery. I do not know the reason why though.

I just want some bigger legs and will get into those activators before my warm up thanks again

Any suggestion on the workout also for growth

My legs are growing

Hi Guys

Just thought I would comment on the progress since last time.

The legs are growing slowly, strength is improving, received some advice on my squats from a Crossfit instructor who told me I wasn't going low enough so I had to go backwards a little in weight but forward in technique.

Also working the VMO's more now, thanks Taurus

Starting to notice more strength in my weighted step ups so that's good also.

Been working on my flexibility also as I have some tension when my leg is bent to the max. putting lots of pressure on the tendons so they release.

So all good, Now I look to getting back to bjj soon enough.

Steve

Last edited:
I found when rehabbing from my ACL reco the first and most important thing was to get full fleaxability back this was done by a heap of walking and once strength started returning hours on the stationary bike slowly increasing resistance, then onto the stair work.

I was back palying cometative Aussie Rules within 9mths of my reco by doing this.

I did stay away from activities like swimming and leg extensions as was advised by my physio and surgeon but did do quite a bit of hammie work both with SLDL and leg curls as apparently the main cause of complications was the repair of the actual hamstring they removed to .

Keep up the good work.

Hamstring

Hey Neddy
Yes I did some testing on my hamstring after reading your post
by completing some single leg laying hamstring curls with resistance band

Noticed a large weakness in hamstring were they took the hamstring this is the same leg I had the acl reconstructed also.

The results were significant that on my left leg I could complete the exercise with ease but when switching to my right same exercise I could not even complete 1 curl and felt like my hamstring was going to snap.

So I guess I just found out another flaw in my recovery which is good to know so thanks heaps.

After this test I started with a baby resistance band and completed some curls on both legs 3 sets of 8.

But really want to know what to do as the difference in strength between the two legs is severe

Need some serious advice on whether I should:

1. Work both legs separately at max resistance for each leg

Or

2. Work both legs seperately to only my weak hamstring max resistance

My concern with option 2 is that it may be a bad move because I do not continue growth on my good leg for a long time. Option 1 concerns me about that I will continue to favour my undamaged leg for much longer if the imbalance remains in strength.

Anyway thoughts, knowledge, experience, anything?

Thanks heaps

Steve