• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying a new barbell as a beginner.

Fakepolitik

Oh hey,

I'm planning to start training seriously in the coming weeks after I buy some new equipment. Currently, I have a low-quality Kmart standard barbell with 'screw-on' ends (is that what it's called?) that doesn't quite fit in my new power rack.

So, I'm looking at buying a new olympic/power barbell. The question I have is, should I buy a relatively cheap one for under $200.00 that I would replace eventually, or should I just splurge and buy a high-quality one for over $500.00 that could potentially outlast me?

The one at which I'm currently looking is the Australian Barbell Company BOP220 for around $560.00 (they seem to be held in very high regard on this forum). My father called me an 'idiot' for considering paying that much for a barbell (mind you, he thought a good one would only cost $30.00) as did many friends.

But, I feel that it would be presumptuous to spend so much on a barbell considering I'm only a beginner. What do you all think?

Cheerio.

Do it once, do it right.
ABC are the best value for money out their.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can afford and justify it, the ABC one is the go.

If you cant afford it and are only starting out, the Gym Direct one will suffice for many years.

We have both in my gym and neither has failed, although the ABC one is better quality, hence the price.

Are you a GTR man or GTS man lol

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

My finances are a little tight at the moment so I went out and bought the barbell eaglebay suggested today from Gymdirect. It feels pretty solid and seems like it could take a battering.

Of course, as soon as I save up enough cash, I will almost certainly buy an ABC bar.

Have a look around for people selling their gear, so much of this stuff gets bought and stuffed in the garage somewhere and never used. I bought a cheapie 7 ft bar a couple of years ago and all has been good, however scored an ABC bar from a bloke selling a heap of gym gear for $40 and will not touch the cheap bar any more.