• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calf Training

hoomy903

First off let me apologize for posting this thread. I understand that this has been done to death.

But honestly in the last year i have gained 3.5 inches on my legs and grown in all other areas, but I cannot get my calves to grow. I look like a dickhead having significantly larger upper legs and no calves. I have in the last 2 years tried all types of training. Training them once a week, twice, 3-5 times a week. Doing just your standard Standing calf raises and seated for normal rep range 8-12 4 sets each. To then trying super heavy and low reps. Tried super high reps of 20+ as well. Have also tried doing variations of exercises toes in toes out. Leg press calf raises, donkey raises. Drop setting and super setting with different exercises. Can anyone give me advice? Currently doing twice a week Tuesday and Thursday split with high volume of 400 or so reps on Tuesday and low volume 70 or so reps on Thursday, following Strength Sensei's infamous Luke Sauder workout.

I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!

As per my log, I've just started training them everyday to try and get them to grow. 10x10 on "rest" days, min 5 sets on all other training days. Heavy weight although I found good results from doing heavy weight and just going to failure back and forth between each leg

Stubborn calves are stubborn.
Just keep persisting. They may take years to respond, mine did and they are by no means huge.

Ive only just started training mine but taking on the superset tip of throwing them in anywhere I can!

I tried super setting calves last year and I don't think it really did much. They got partially worked each day, but never to a point where I had DOMS or they were that fatigued. I've tried a few things this year with doing mega sets of 50 reps etc. I think the best way is to dedicate half a day to purely training calves and really fatiguing them. I also found dropping the weight slightly and pausing at the top and bottom worked them better than quick little rabbit hops I see people do.

I tried super setting calves last year and I don't think it really did much. They got partially worked each day, but never to a point where I had DOMS or they were that fatigued. I've tried a few things this year with doing mega sets of 50 reps etc. I think the best way is to dedicate half a day to purely training calves and really fatiguing them. I also found dropping the weight slightly and pausing at the top and bottom worked them better than quick little rabbit hops I see people do.

A squeeze and stretch are two of the 12 fundamentals of proper exercise.

Serious?!

This is what I have done for calves over the years.
Skipping
kick boxing
hiking up mountains with a weight vest.

I would be recommending high frequency (every day), if you want to do traditional calf raises I'd just put a BB on your back and do single leg ones (full ROM). Start with say 20 reps on day 1 and add a rep per day. Keep the weight the same.

Sorry, I meant half a training day. I do other things as well (hiking, circuit training). But I won't usually feel them unless I'm doing 6-10 sets on a dedicated day.

aah, that makes more sense! I was thinking there is no way I'd be standing there doing calf raises for 4 hours!

Remember, DOMS =/= hypertrophy. Just means that you have done something a bit different and shocked your body e.g. if you always do heavy 5x5 and one day you do 100 rep squat set you will be damn sore!

All good lol, no way I'm working out for 4 hours a day. Yeah DOMS isn't the be all and end all of getting results, but it's a good indicator that you're pushing your muscles to grow.

I have tried all of these things mentioned, i think ill just keep training them and just forget about them and just hope they grow at some point.

Are you eating to gain the growth? My calves gained half an inch but thats due to the calorie surplus and the workout it gets.

All good lol, no way I'm working out for 4 hours a day. Yeah DOMS isn't the be all and end all of getting results, but it's a good indicator that you're pushing your muscles to grow.

Doms isn't a good indicator you are pushing your muscles to grow.