• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can someone explain some things about cottage cheese, casein and whey to me?

Fakepolitik

Okay, I've read up on the wonders of cottage cheese, but there are a few things I would like to clear up first. Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything:

Cottage cheese is mostly casein and a small amount of whey. As such, a whey powder supplement is required.

All of your casein needs, however, can be gotten from cottage cheese. (This part confuses me- why do expensive casein supplements exist when you can get casein from cottage cheese, which is dirt cheap? Are there any advantages of taking a casein supplement over cottage cheese?)

Casein is a slow-digesting protein, which makes it an ideal food to eat before bed. Whey is a fast-digesting protein, which makes it ideal to take straight after a work-out.

I hope I have at least a basic understanding of these proteins. Any further advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

What you have written is also my understanding of it. I am just a beginner and for now I think that is really all the information that I need to know. As my training progresses and I look more in depth at what I am eating and start to target specific micronutrients then the benefits of a more detailed understanding will become apparent. I think that when starting out it is easy to become overloaded by the sheer volume of technical information available so I stuck with the three macronutrients and barbell exercises to keep things simple on those fronts while I got my technique and form worked out.

To answer your question, my understanding for casein supplements is that some higher performing/elite type athletes use them so that they know there is a constant source of protein dribbling into their muscles all day long and then top it up with the more 'normal' types of protein with meals.

Cottage cheese is not cheap.
I think it's only about 12gms of protein per 100. So you need at least 250gms. Considering it costs around the $5 mark for 500gm tub it is $2.50 per serve. A casein shake would be 1/10 of the price

I pay about $3.50 for a 500g tub of Woolworths homebrand stuff which has about 56g of protein in it. I eat half of that each night so was thinking that it was a fairly cheap source of casein protein for a food. Everything I have read tells me that it is better to get your nutrients from food if you can so wouldn't that be a better way to go over a shake?

Not trying to thread crap here Fakepolitik. I am using the cottage cheese as my primary source of casein protein so am interested in the answers to your questions as well.

OK $350 instead of $5. Now to get 50gms of protein you need to eat the whole tub at $3.50. To get 50gms of protein from cassein would still be a lot cheaper.In fact a shit load cheaper. You mad???

P.S - I'm not saying ones better than the other, I'm purely talking cost effectiveness.

I pay about $3.50 for a 500g tub of Woolworths homebrand stuff which has about 56g of protein in it. I eat half of that each night so was thinking that it was a fairly cheap source of casein protein for a food. Everything I have read tells me that it is better to get your nutrients from food if you can so wouldn't that be a better way to go over a shake?

Not trying to thread crap here Fakepolitik. I am using the cottage cheese as my primary source of casein protein so am interested in the answers to your questions as well.

Seen the sodium content on the cheaper ones?

Not that it bothers me too much if pottasium is in balance but its sitll alot for one go as well as all the other foods for the day.

OK $350 instead of $5. Now to get 50gms of protein you need to eat the whole tub at $3.50. To get 50gms of protein from cassein would still be a lot cheaper.In fact a shit load cheaper. You mad???

Not mad, just looking at it from the "better" perspective as opposed to cost effectiveness. I think that its about $1/serve for the shake (less in bulk). In terms of cost the shake definately wins out.

P.S - I'm not saying ones better than the other, I'm purely talking cost effectiveness.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you then.

Seen the sodium content on the cheaper ones?

Possibly my inexperience but I felt that the 250mg of sodium per 100g on the Woolies brand was fairly low. The Coles ones has more than that (around 450 - 500) and you can definately taste it but I still didn't think it was much at less than half a percent. Happy to stand corrected though.

Okay, so if I'm looking for the most cost-effective option, then I should just get a casein supplement then? Is there some sort of consumption balance for which I should aim between casein powder and cottage cheese?

Dont stress to much about the amount of casein you are having, the main reason behind taking it is to keep the body from going catabolic while you sleep, thats the main reason, but its also pretty pointless to have to mix 2 different types of protein powders, lot of stuffing around for no real world difference, just have 30-40 grams of casein protein powder in 300-400ml low fat milk right before bed. Should get around 50 grams total protein out of that and it tastes a lot nicer and goes down a lot easier than eating a 500gram tub of cottage cheese. And as far as a balance between cottage cheese and a supplement, why bother? Just have one or the other mate, its easier, rule number 1 with diet and training KEEP IT SIMPLE, dont over complicate things, yes there is a science behind all of it but little things like this arent even worth the fuss :)

Shrek, which protein powder are you talking about thats so cheap? I normally buy either max`s or ON and its not that cheap, works out around $1.50-$2 a scoop ( 24~ grams of protein ).

Last edited:
Dont stress to much about the amount of casein you are having, the main reason behind taking it is to keep the body from going catabolic while you sleep, thats the main reason, but its also pretty pointless to have to mix 2 different types of protein powders, lot of stuffing around for no real world difference, just have 30-40 grams of casein protein powder in 300-400ml low fat milk right before bed. Should get around 50 grams total protein out of that and it tastes a lot nicer and goes down a lot easier than eating a 500gram tub of cottage cheese. And as far as a balance between cottage cheese and a supplement, why bother? Just have one or the other mate, its easier, rule number 1 with diet and training KEEP IT SIMPLE, dont over complicate things, yes there is a science behind all of it but little things like this arent even worth the fuss :)

Shrek, which protein powder are you talking about thats so cheap? I normally buy either max`s or ON and its not that cheap, works out around $1.50-$2 a scoop ( 24~ grams of protein ).

Bulk nutrients... Proffesionalwhey... Generic high quality NZ made protein. No overheads... No huge dude on the front... No promises accept for the protein content.

Bulk nutrients... Proffesionalwhey... Generic high quality NZ made protein. No overheads... No huge dude on the front... No promises accept for the protein content.
Don't pay for a colourful label. You can get WPI or WPC for $60 for 3 kg.

Yea you can but ive tried the cheap natural WPC and WPI and it tastes so crap i couldnt handle it, even with milk, i dont mind paying $150 a bag for ON gold standard thats around $1 a serve and mixes in with water and milk perfectly BUT this isnt casein and thats what the discussion is about, what does the cheap natural casein taste like?

YEah, BN or Fitness Central. I like the Micellar Cassein better as it has less whey and does not gel up like Calcium Cassein.

YEah, BN or Fitness Central. I like the Micellar Cassein better as it has less whey and does not gel up like Calcium Cassein.
I have been using Micellar/MPI almost exclusively as my powder supp lately and In terms of mix ability, taste and ease on stomach/digestion I am finding it a great all-round powder supplement.

Whats with casien being hard to shake?.. I have to vigorously shake it compared to Whey (trust me i know how to shake) .. And ive tried 10 different casien brands.. sheesh

I have miscellar casein from bulk nutrients. My current pre bed meal is 166g cottage cheese, 1 scoop casein and about 1/2 cup milk. Mix it all together and it tastes like choc/vanilla dessert.

311 cals
14g carbs
4g fat
49g protein