• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Compound lifts

Johnnie Walker

Borderline Kunce
So we are always told compounds train every muscle bla bla.

Well finally went to a physio to get my fucked sholder looked at. turns out my bicep tendon is being trapped in the socket. But the root cause of it is my scapular has completely gone to sleep, it actually does nothing now. so weak there i could barely do basic exercises for it, fucking humiliating.

fair enough I have been on off with my training over the years, but always had a stead focus of deads and bent over rows for my back. By no means strong compared to lads on here but i wasnt exactly weak, yet from these movements an entire section of my back has completely switched off.

Physio has advised me to do no uppe body training untill new year except for the excersises he gave me to get my scapular moving again.

So, are compounds reall the answer to it all?

on a side note while my form may not be perfect I know it is of a reasonable standard.

What exercises did they suggest to get it working again?

I don't believe you can do only the 3 main compounds and develop every muscle in the body but not sure ancillaries would have kept you out of trouble either, depending on what the cure is

just alot of stretches and movements to wake the muscles up, not so much strengthen them..at this point just need to reconnect them to my brain!

biggest one which was really hard, lieing face down with hands at sides..then pulling sholder blades together and and sholders back, lifting arms off the ground and holding a weight at hipe high. could barely do it

And the physio pretty much said the result is from rows/deads? Not from over developing the chest, pulling the shoulder forward?

Would a chin/pull up type movement or shrug have helped?

seems the lack of any sort of pull ups has left me with an over developed upper back while the mid back around the scapular and lats..well there is nothing there

And the physio pretty much said the result is from rows/deads? Not from over developing the chest, pulling the shoulder forward?

Would a chin/pull up type movement or shrug have helped?

he didnt say it was the cause of it. but it has failed to activate alot of muscles in my back that are now lieing dormant. chest isnt really over developed, infact its a major weak spot

its crazy how everything is so connected. my sholder not working due to my bicep tendon being trapped is all caused by my back. one bit in my scapular he got in his fingers, dear god..ouch. turns out alot of referred pain into my sholder and arm

Everything in moderation then I guess? Like you say, everything is connected. Still amazes me how pain in one area is from doing (or not doing) something elsewhere

So this may be testament to the fact - and answering the other recent thread about compound or isolation lifts- that a balanced approach is best, incorporating both type of exercise, and importantly a wide range of movements to activate all muscle groups.

It probably stemmed from a small injury a while ago causing the area to switch off to prevent further inury/pain/stress to the area. Not neccesarily a lack of training to the affected area.

perhaps, guess it never switched back on though and started causing problems else where. my sholder has been dodgey for a few years, always ignored it. guess my back has been off all that time too

The lack of pullups would have been a big gaping hole in your training plan. I believe its important to balance the push and the pull with your upper body training - and that goes for all directions.
Active recovery is something that I appreciate a lot more as time passes by. This means heaps of mobility work in the form of dynamic/static stretches, discovering and working on muscle knots and areas of tightness, and regularly testing whether your body is capable of full range of motion in a variety of weight bearing positions.

Biceps need a lot of looking after
Make sure they get a good massage every other week

A lot of us probably suffer from the hunched syndrome.. I know I do...Forwardly rotated shoulders etc.. meaning less and less is done by the back / it's harder to actively recruit these muscles.

dont do any over head work. he is a physio to the roosters so i will be sure to tell him bazza says your wrong

Didn't say he was wrong. I said I would look for a new Physio.

He probably just can see how soft you are and suggest you rest and leaves his more aggressive treatment protocols for the men out there.