• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
I wonder if there is a logical way to convert everyday recipes into ones that make use of almond meal, cassein, WPC or WPI? We all have recipes handed down to us which we want to use but for the sake of adventure don't we wanna make a high protein one instead? And preferably reduce the amount of fat and sugar as well AND have a final product that taste just as good. I dunno, is that too much to ask?

Example. Let's take this sultana bran muffin recipe which I love.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/36167/sultana+bran+muffins

The ingredients are:

• 125g low-fat creamed cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
  • 2 cups Kellogg's Sultana Bran
  • 1 cup low-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates, finely chopped

Now I know I can sub 1/2c brown sugar with stevia mix, I've tried that already and its bellisimo.
But what about the 1-1/2 cup of self raising flour? Is it possible to sub that with a combo of almond meal and cassein? If so what proportion is best?

Please discuss and spoon feed me your culinary experiments (successful ones preferably).

The best way is to eat the normal food you want and chug a wpi shake in water after the normal meal.

Yeah but I wanna make something for me folks who are diabetic and no way are they chugging down WPI shakes so I gotta sneak it in lol.

Yeah but I wanna make something for me folks who are diabetic and no way are they chugging down WPI shakes so I gotta sneak it in lol.

Poor folks having to eat protein shake recipes.

They almost certainly don't need the extra protein. Just find some lower carb recipes.

LmaO [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; were you fed protein shakes as punishment as a child, did one of the recipes blow up your oven or give you the runs?? You really have this huge vendetta against them dontcha. Can we call this 'Bazza's united solitary campaign against protein shake recipes'? :D

I wonder if there is a logical way to convert everyday recipes into ones that make use of almond meal, cassein, WPC or WPI? We all have recipes handed down to us which we want to use but for the sake of adventure don't we wanna make a high protein one instead? And preferably reduce the amount of fat and sugar as well AND have a final product that taste just as good. I dunno, is that too much to ask?

Example. Let's take this sultana bran muffin recipe which I love.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/36167/sultana+bran+muffins

The ingredients are:

• 125g low-fat creamed cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
  • 2 cups Kellogg's Sultana Bran
  • 1 cup low-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates, finely chopped

Now I know I can sub 1/2c brown sugar with stevia mix, I've tried that already and its bellisimo.
But what about the 1-1/2 cup of self raising flour? Is it possible to sub that with a combo of almond meal and cassein? If so what proportion is best?

Please discuss and spoon feed me your culinary experiments (successful ones preferably).

Yes, of course it is possible. I do it all the time. But it may not work for everything and you have to decide whether it's worth doing it for some things or leaving them as they are and enjoying them.

eg. I create protein brownie recipes (like the one you have in my book). But I didn't convert my normal brownie recipe because FFS it's the greatest brownie there is and i'm not ruining it for anyone! LOL

Sometimes it's better to create a recipe that is more macro friendly from scratch.

having said that, for your muffin recipe above, I would suggest the following assuming that all you want to do is increase the protein content (it's already low fat):

Sub 1/2 cup of the flour with a combo of 1/4 cup WPI (or WPC) and 1/4 casein ... essentially a 50/50 blend.

You could maybe even sub out half the flour (3/4 cup) using the same approach.

These muffins are really high in carbs and that's cool if you are looking for that.

The best way is to eat the normal food you want and chug a wpi shake in water after the normal meal.

hehe I think we've been here before.
Not everyone can stomach shakes lol
But also, having snacks handy that are higher in protein (or just more macro balanced) can help some reach their protein targets more easily (without the shake).

and will ya stop killing my protein recipe mojo and book sales? :D

ask [MENTION=10084]Jungnaut[/MENTION]; it's good, yeah?

Yes, of course it is possible. I do it all the time. But it may not work for everything and you have to decide whether it's worth doing it for some things or leaving them as they are and enjoying them.

eg. I create protein brownie recipes (like the one you have in my book). But I didn't convert my normal brownie recipe because FFS it's the greatest brownie there is and i'm not ruining it for anyone! LOL

Sometimes it's better to create a recipe that is more macro friendly from scratch.

having said that, for your muffin recipe above, I would suggest the following assuming that all you want to do is increase the protein content (it's already low fat):

Sub 1/2 cup of the flour with a combo of 1/4 cup WPI (or WPC) and 1/4 casein ... essentially a 50/50 blend.

You could maybe even sub out half the flour (3/4 cup) using the same approach.

These muffins are really high in carbs and that's cool if you are looking for that.

Awesome awesome. I think I'll try that. Subbing the flour out with WPI was def what I was after to reduce the carb content. What if I add almond flour, say sub 3/4 cup flour with 1/4 cup each of WPI, cassein, and almond flour?

If the recipe had heaps of butter in it I just sub 1/3 of it with apple sauce, that works plenty good as well.

Yeah I'll usually check out your insta and blog first beforehand because its tried and tested lol. Can't be bothered wasting me precious ingredients & time on stuff that won't turn out tasty.

LmaO [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; were you fed protein shakes as punishment as a child, did one of the recipes blow up your oven or give you the runs?? You really have this huge vendetta against them dontcha. Can we call this 'Bazza's united solitary campaign against protein shake recipes'? :D

Protein powder tastes like shit. Best getting your protein from food if only because it tastes better. Your folks will be getting plenty of protein why force shitty tasting protein powder on them.

I'm yet to taste protein powder versions of food that are even close to being as good as the food they are copying ( haven't tried chocchillis food yet).

There is nothing special about protein powder. It's usually a cheap source of protein but I will avoid it if I can.

Actually just out of curiosity do you take ANY supplements at all [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION];? Or do you just like eat steak and potatoes all day.