• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cooking steak

Kranky

Grandpa
Do you

season beforehand ?

season immediately before cooking ?

season only after cooking ?

I'm reading so many conflicting stories

Personally I like steak well done.

Season before, then cook, I sear it and turn straight away to seal it.

None of this only turn once urban legend.

Then will add more seasoning as I eat it if required.

- Leave steak out to get to room temp
- Season with salt/pepper

- Turn on pan
- wait till it gets smoking hot

- Place steak on

- turn every 1 min -1 1/2 min

If you season with salt before hand it will give it a grispier out layer.

Personally I like steak well done.

Season before, then cook, I sear it and turn straight away to seal it.

None of this only turn once urban legend.

Then will add more seasoning as I eat it if required.

Mick

do you season it well before or only just before ?

- Turn on pan

- Place steak on

I like that way too.

Mick

do you season it well before or only just before ?

Generally season as the pan is heating up, so just before.

I have been known to marinate stuff overnight though, but normally don't plan that far ahead.

This is how I do it.

Leave steak out for a couple hours to be at room temp.

Season before.

Hot as fuck BBQ.

3 min on each side, Turn once( tried multiple turns and it turned melt in your mouth steak to leather )

Rest for 3 min.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
When we use the weberQ, which is now pretty much all the time, I'll let the meat sit on the hot plate for 4 minutes and turn for another 3, always with the lid down.

I let the the thing pre heat for about 15 min, b4 I whack on the meat.

Fuck, it's good.

Season prior to cooking, specifically salt.

You dont want to season your marinades with salt either, draws all the moisture out of the meat.

Although for epic thick cuts of meat (500-700gram rib eye/viking cutlets) I like to salt the every loving fuck out of it a good 2 hours before cooking. Cook it on a bbq off the flame for half an hour or so depending on thickness turning regularly then charring the shit out of it. Guarentee itll be the most tastiest tender testosterone boosting thing you've eaten.

I do it similar.
Season before cooking
1 minute on plate to sear
Flip, 1 minute on plate
3 minutes on each side on grill with lid closed
REST it before digging into it (although most of the time the temptation is too great to wait and I hook straight into it)
Pour green pepper sauce
Dig in

- Turn on pan

- Place steak on

I use the same process, but I drop the heat after after the first couple of minutes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

For me there is a huge difference b/w pan fried and flame grilled steak.
Struggle with steak off the pan but cannot get enough of flame grilled.

Last edited:
these are the things i consider important:

no salt before cooking
no marinades
no oil or spray
room temperature meat (1hr out of fridge)
super hot clean BBQ (grill side not flat side)
cook leaner cuts can be a bit rarer - 2:30-3:00 a side
fattier cuts a bit longer - 3:00-3:30 a side
wrap steaks in alfoil, leave on a plate for at least 5 minutes (if you have 2 steaks wrap together but rotate so each of them gets to soak in those juices for a few minutes)
just before plating do your seasoning

fuck now im hungry

This is how I do it.

Leave steak out for a couple hours to be at room temp.

Season before.

Hot as fuck BBQ.

3 min on each side, Turn once( tried multiple turns and in turned melt in your mouth steak to leather )

Rest for 3 min.

Enjoy.

This

Most important would be cooking the seak at room temp and not cold..

Salt is the ONLY true "seasoning" Salt as you wish, I always do before and after

Next most important thing for me apart from your preferred cut of steak would be cooking method.

For me, Charcoal with just a kiss of smoke, Literally 1 or 2 wood chips

I like my meat well done, Yes the meat is still fall apart soft when well done and cooked correctly.

My favorite cut would have to be a Tomahawk steak that's been cooked indirect till medium well. Then reversed seared till its nice and brown/crispy edged.

The biggest factor in a good steak, apart from sourcing good meat to begin with it AGE.

Fresh beef is rubbish so steaks. Get yourself a bar fridge and set the humidity right with a tray of salt or buy a humidifier.

Buy meat in Primal cuts only and age that bad boy for a couple months. Cut off the black shit and you will be amazed

When you pay $100+ in a top end restaurant its that's price because its been aged. You loose a bit of meat in the process but so worth it.

Off to Squires Loft tonight for a rib eye on the bone, medium, with green pepper sauce.
Can't wait, their steaks are unmatched so far!

Off to Squires Loft tonight for a rib eye on the bone, medium, with green pepper sauce.
Can't wait, their steaks are unmatched so far!

I had a beautiful rib eye at the local pub the other week, with red wine jus veg and chips.
Didn't hang around long, it's amazing how many seniors go out for Dins.

I had a beautiful rib eye at the local pub the other week, with red wine jus veg and chips.
Didn't hang around long, it's amazing how many seniors go out for Dins.

Always looking for a better steak, is it Ok to ask which pub? Notice you also in Melb.

Always looking for a better steak, is it Ok to ask which pub? Notice you also in Melb.

The Mitcham, it's a bit hit and miss, but the one i had last week was perfect.

The coach and horses in ringwood is OK but I don't like going there as it's funding the Collingwood footy club lol.