• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Correct Olympic Weight Plates for Deadlifting?

Justler

Hi guys,

From what i've read on this forum it seems like the Gym Direct 20kg Olympic weight plates are not the right diameter for a standard deadlift starting position.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the 20kg plates from Sams Fitness or Gym & Fitness were the correct diameter?

If not, any advice on where I can get the correct plates from?

Cheers,
J

Thanks for the quick reply. It was post 3 made in the following thread by The Hamburgler

http://ausbb.com/workout-equipment/17652-advice-new-home-gym.html

Get the commercial bench instead of the one youve listed and with the plates get the following config instead of what they offer
- 2x1.25, 2x2.5, 2x5, 2x10, the make up the rest with 20s

Just be aware that the plates they offer are smaller than regulation so if you want to do deadlifts from proper height you will have to do rack pulls or raise the plates on some mats/wooden blocks

Do you use the gym direct plates? Are they suitable for deadlifting from the floor?

From the above post i'm guesing the bar should be higher than those plates allow for proper deadlift form, or for regulation deadlift height.

Thanks for the quick reply. It was post 3 made in the following thread by The Hamburgler

http://ausbb.com/workout-equipment/17652-advice-new-home-gym.html

Do you use the gym direct plates? Are they suitable for deadlifting from the floor?

From the above post i'm guesing the bar should be higher than those plates allow for proper deadlift form, or for regulation deadlift height.

I have Gym Direct plates, they are 1cm smaller diameter (or something close to that) than proper Olympic size 45cm plates. But it makes no difference as its not noticeable, I think Ironedge sells proper 45cm plates if you want but (I wanted them originally) postage is the killer with those guys.......quality is tops though with both IE and the MM ones from Gym Direct.
If your going to compete than a slight deficit in training may be a bonus come comp day.........I may be wrong but I think allot of guys train on a small box to go into some serious deficit anyway. It's such a small difference with MM plates that it wouldn't hardly be noticeable IMO

Last edited:
I have Gym Direct plates, they are 1cm smaller diameter (or something close to that) than proper Olympic size 45cm plates. But it makes no difference as its not noticeable, I think Ironedge sells proper 45cm plates if you want but (I wanted them originally) postage is the killer with those guys.......quality is tops though with both IE and the MM ones from Gym Direct

Ah, never knew that Rambodian, thanks :)

I was planning on getting the bumpers, not the rubber coateds, and as far as I know they're the right size.

Cool, doesn't sound like that will make to much difference, and as you said it will most likely lead to an advantage if I do decided to compete later down the track.

Thanks Rambodian

Cheers!

The gym direct rubber coated are not the right diameter. 43cm if I remember right compared to 45cm.

Also if anyone plans on deadlifting with the rubber coated plates they won't last long, the plates will end up splitting.

Just buy proper equipment from the start and save money in the long run.

This has got me intrigued! I'm going to measure the plates in the camp gym tonight...
I know the Gym in Perth has Hammer Strength gear, and the plates are definitely smaller

This has got me intrigued! I'm going to measure the plates in the camp gym tonight...
I know the Gym in Perth has Hammer Strength gear, and the plates are definitely smaller

Let us know how you go Dicko I'm intrigued now too

I plan to hit the training hard and reach a decent deadlifting level, and I'd also rather only have to buy equipment once. Though I was planning on deadlifting on rubber flooring, would this be sufficient to stop the rubber weights from cracking? I'm not one to drop weights, though I imagine as they get heavy it might not always be in my control.

When you said buy proper equipment from the start, are you referring to bumpers? Or just a a different or better quality brand of weight plates, like perhaps the ironedge ones? Though they are are still rubber coated.

I plan to hit the training hard and reach a decent deadlifting level, and I'd also rather only have to buy equipment once. Though I was planning on deadlifting on rubber flooring, would this be sufficient to stop the rubber weights from cracking? I'm not one to drop weights, though I imagine as they get heavy it might not always be in my control.

When you said buy proper equipment from the start, are you referring to bumpers? Or just a a different or better quality brand of weight plates, like perhaps the ironedge ones? Though they are are still rubber coated.

99.9% of commercial gyms have only rubber coated plates and you see plenty of deadlifting and dickheads deadlift dropping. Bumpers are nice but not a necessity.

That's was I was thinking, but is there a big difference in the quality of rubber plates between different brands, say gym direct, iron edge and sams fitness? Or are rubber plates pretty much all built the same and as hardy as each other?

Sorry for the newb questions, I just don't want to buy equipment ill have to replace in 6 months.

I would bet they all come out of the same factory in China. If you use rubber flooring I doubt you will split the plates. Maybe hulk (gym direct) can jump in here and give some feedback, he will might try to upsell you bumpers. I know I would :D