• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Curry Lovers

Sydking

don't know about the rest of you, But i love curry.

tends to be a deadly combo with rice, Nann, curry and more Nann.

Restaurants would tend to use alot of gee and oil.

sooooo I found this recipe, And im eating leftovers from dinner last night, and its so good i had to share.

This is more toward people who can/like to cook. If you have the spice mix ready on hand you can have this on the stove in 10 min, I did it all from scratch fro the first time, and it was a bit of stuffing around, but so worth it. Much better then the jar sauces. Way better macros as well

Note: i used only a 1 tablespoon of oil to fry the onion, NO BUTTER and i did not use the [FONT=&quot]fenugreek. Would say its probly the best curry ive had, I didn't marinate them for the time it said, I just did it all instant really. Tastes even better the next day.

BUTTER CHICKEN
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]1 kg boneless chicken skin removed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Juice of 1 lime[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Salt to taste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to suit your taste)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]6 cloves[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]8-10 peppercorns[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1" stick of cinnamon[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 bay leaves [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]8-10 almonds[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Seeds from 3-4 pods of cardamom[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup fresh yoghurt (must not be sour)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 onions chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tsps garlic paste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 tsp ginger paste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tsps coriander powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 tsp cumin powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp turmeric powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]400g/ 14 oz of chopped tomatoes, ground into a smooth paste in a food processor[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 litre chicken stock[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tbsps kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 tbsps unmelted, soft butter[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Salt to taste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Coriander leaves to garnish[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Preparation:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Mix the chicken, lime juice, salt and red chilli powder in a large, non-metallic bowl. Cover and allow to marinate for 1 hour. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Heat a flat pan or griddle on medium heat and gently roast (stirring frequently) the cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, bay leaves and almonds till they darken slightly. Cool and add the cardamom seeds. Now grind into a coarse powder in a clean, dry coffee grinder. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Mix the yoghurt, above whole spice powder (from previous step), coriander, cumin and turmeric powders together and add them to the chicken. Allow to marinate for another hour. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Heat the oil in a deep pan on medium heat. When hot, add the onions. Fry till a pale golden brown in color and then add the ginger and garlic pastes. Fry for a minute. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Add only the chicken from the chicken-spice mix and fry till sealed (chicken will turn opaque and the flesh will go from pink to whitish in color). [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Now add the tomato paste, chicken stock, kasuri methi and remaining part of the yogurt-spice mix to the chicken. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Cook till the chicken is tender and the gravy is reduced to half its original volume. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Melt the butter in another small pan and then pour it over the chicken. [/FONT]

P.s i did not make tomatoes into a paste, i used a 400g tin of crushed tomatoes and just poured in. with the stock ect.

My bowl is now empty.... Quite sad actually.

The best thing about curries is you can make an enormous batch, freeze it in portions and somehow they end up tasting even better the longer you keep em! I am a big fan of curries too, and this butter chicken looks the goods - I've made green thai curry from scratch once and it was orgasm in the mouth.

love curries, I also make a mean cucumber/yougurt to go with it. I prefer my home cooked curries as when I have the store made with full cream and white rice it bloats my guts.

i always eat too much curry. hard to stop eating.

I fckn love curry. But not the Indian kind (although they're ok)

My mother was French/South African & used to make the South African curry, influenced by the Indian immigrants I'm sure, but its different to Indian curry.

You can useany meat, red or white (including fish) even mince. I make mince curry alot!

But my favourite was my Mum's lamb curry.

Garlic, ginger, vindaloo curry paste, as well as a chilli powder, in a pot with oil, cook off, add water until its like a paste.
Add lamb pieces & brown off
I typically add more ginger, garlic & vindaloo paste at this point lol
1 can of diced tomatoes
A few curry leaves
Add potatos
Pumpkin or sweet potato is optional, but I love using sweet potato.
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh chilli's optional
(I personally like to finish off with some fresh coriander, becauseI love it, but its not necessary)

Simmer until meat is tender & soft, make sure there's always lots of liquid in the pot. You can just keep topping up with water. I usually continue adding ginger & vindaloo paste right up to the end too, I like it HOT lol

Cook basmati rice.

Side salsa to cleanse the palate :

Diced tomato
Diced cucumber
Diced onion
Douse with white vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
(I usually add fresh chillis to this too) lol

Another palate cleanser if the curry is on the hot side is :

Beetroot sliced
Onion sliced
Leave in beetroot juice

It kills the sting in the mouth lol

These curries last for days & the flavours intensify the next day, so it usually gets hotter lol

Delicious!

We got invited to this full on Indian shin dig last year, our neighbours kid is in my son's class, hundreds of them there, singing, dancing and cooking. They had massive pots full of different curry, the champs made me my own without nuts, didn't want to say no to look like an ass, was heaps nice but searingly fukin hot. I like curry but not that hot, and made by proper Indians, shit outta jar is good enough for me.

Love thai curries and indian curries as hot as ya can make them.

But dislike chilli, go figure

Indian Curries rock. Thai curries aren't too shabby either as long as they are eaten in Australia. heheheh.

Mmmmmm want one now...but I'm fckn full.. argghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't mind giving this a spin. I love some indian curries like Aloo Gobi etc. Also I've most of the ingredients.

So the question, but garlic paste is it crushed garlic? I love garlic so my plan is to overdose with garlic. I assume by ginger paste it's just grated ginger?

As for cardamon, is it black or green? They have different taste.
Black_and_green_cardamom.jpg

Made this butter chicken tonight and it is farkin awesome !

Thanks for sharing mate, this will definitely get a repeat

Yes crushed garlic, I used about 4 cloves, i Grated the ginger, And i used green cardamon pods, Open them up and just use the tiny black seeds

im going to make a batch of the spice so i can have on hand, That wasy i can have the curry in the pot and cooking in about 5min.

cooked it for about 2.5 hours i think... Could of cooked another half to thicken up, Or you could always cornflour it. Depends on your pref.

We got invited to this full on Indian shin dig last year, our neighbours kid is in my son's class, hundreds of them there, singing, dancing and cooking. They had massive pots full of different curry, the champs made me my own without nuts, didn't want to say no to look like an ass, was heaps nice but searingly fukin hot. I like curry but not that hot, and made by proper Indians, shit outta jar is good enough for me.

Jar is OK at times too. untill i tried to make one from scratch - Can really taste the diff.

The main factor for me to not use jar sauce was the macro content. So much carbs and fat in the bottled stuff..... This way i can eat more and feel better for it :)

Less carbs mean more nann bread and rice :)

Mix the poultry, calcium juice, sodium and red spicy pepper powdered in a large, non-metallic dish. Cover and allow to marinate for 1 hour. Heat a flat pan or grill on method warm and carefully cook (stirring frequently) the cloves, peppercorns, nutmeg, bay results in and nuts until they color a little bit. Cool and add the cardamom plant seeds. Now smash into a rough powdered in a clean, dry coffee grinding machine.

Last edited by a moderator: