• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

cyberfit rubber prostyles - any owners?

matt-el

Hey guys,
I've been lusting after a set of prostyle dumbbells for ages now, and I've got my eyes on the cyberfit adjustable prostyles. Anyone here own some? There's not many choices in Aus; Sam's, some chinese ones or hex.

One of the many reasons I want to upgrade is be able to drop them occasionally on the heavy sets. Technically 'repairable' prostyles (made from a bar with several rubber plates screwed into place) ..
Rubber-dumbbells-a_zpsde971ff6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
..are meant to hold up better than the solid dipped one piece welded on prostyle ones..

... and if you do bend them, are a lot cheaper to swap out the handles without having to rebuy 100kg of weight again.
Anyone own any?

Last edited:
I have had no issue with Cyberfit equipment. I have looked, not tried, these in his workshop. If you live in Sydney go pay him a visit.

Thanks kaz,
I live in QLD so unfortunately can't try before I buy. You said you had a look? How did they look - sturdy etc? One thing I can't tell from the pics is how large the diameter of the plates are from 22kg up. Reason I ask is if the handles are short and the plates are large you can hit your forearms on the plates when going deep on a bench press for e.g.
What was the quality of the rubber like if you can remember? Cheap rubber can have a particularly strong odour to it.
Thanks for sharing anything you can.
Matt

I have had no issue with Cyberfit equipment. I have looked, not tried, these in his workshop. If you live in Sydney go pay him a visit.

[MENTION=16168]matt-el[/MENTION]; I don't have anything to compare them to for quality. Im heading back there in December for more plates, if you haven't bought any by then I can take a closer look/pics.

[MENTION=16168]matt-el[/MENTION]; I don't have anything to compare them to for quality. Im heading back there in December for more plates, if you haven't bought any by then I can take a closer look/pics.
That'd be great thanks Kaz, if you don't mind. Let me know when you go. I've actually been deliberately holding off buying these till I get some work I've been putting off done. I've been hungering for a set of Prostyles for a while now, they're nice/not necessary and I figured they'd be a good reward. Though with the way its going I won't be buying them till at least mid December!
I just posted some pictures of my gym in the pictures thread and if you're in the know and look closely at the first and second ones you can see some tape on the floor in my dumbbell/bar area - I've already marked out how much space a three tier rack of dumbbells will take up...Arrghh!

Last edited:
I bought a set a solid welded rubber coated prostyle ones, and they look lovely but in honesty if I could go back I would buy the pancake style ones first listed.

After a few unfortunate drops I now have a couple of bent ones at the heavier end of the spectrum which puts the balance of the dumbbell off, and makes the movement even harder.

With replaceable handles you can simply fix this up no problem.

I bought a set a solid welded rubber coated prostyle ones, and they look lovely but in honesty if I could go back I would buy the pancake style ones first listed.

After a few unfortunate drops I now have a couple of bent ones at the heavier end of the spectrum which puts the balance of the dumbbell off, and makes the movement even harder.

With replaceable handles you can simply fix this up no problem.

Thanks for that Gettingbigger, that's what I kinda expected. I saw a video of pancake rubber vs solid molded, that made it look like the pancake's fell apart much easier, but what the video ignored was that the solid molded ones bent pretty quickly as well, although they didn't break, which as you've pointed out is almost as bad in terms of function. And the pancakes they used had a pretty large diameter plate and only one of them (which would put extra force on the handle in a 45deg drop) which made it a less equal comparison.

I'm primarily after these so I can drop the occasional lift. I've got adjustables I can knee into place but can't drop, olympic handles I can't really knee up at the heavier weights, and dumbbell hooks that I can set the weight up on, with ropes attached to ratchets that I can technically use to 'go to failure' but none of these solutions are as nice as a full rack that you can walk up to, choose the weight, knee it up and go to failure.

I even made up a dumbbell 'quick change' station to make changing the weights a breeze, but it's still not as good as premade pairs. I guess the next thing to make will be boxes or squares of high density foam and lighter foam stuck together that I can drop the weights on when I fail.
IMAG0407_zpsc650ccb7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A complete rack is definitely the best option is space and dollars permit.

I don`t regularly drop weights, but sometimes when I hit failure with the heavier ones it`s hard to control them at the end.