• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deloading

moons

Currently I'm doing 4 weeks on / deload week / 4 weeks / deload...etc

I've never really done a deload. As it stands I'm simply using ridiculously light weight compared to my working weights, and focusing on technique with higher reps.

Is this an ok way to go about it? Any tips would be appreciated.

Weight differentials I'm planning to use for anyone who wants to advise:

OH Press ww - 62.5 5x5 / Deload - 20kg 3x10
Squat ww - 122.5 5x5 / Deload 60kg 3x10
Deadlift ww 147.5 5x5 / Deload 80kg 3x10

(I'll also be doing my stretching/rolling out which I should be doing each week but am lazy about, so using this week to try and get in the habit.)

Just my opinion.

I see no point in the above program whatsoever.

I cannot for the life of me see why you would need to rest up from that program big fella.

just my thoughts.

markos that program aside, what's the purpose of a deload program? is it to rest / recover or do something different with the intent of triggering growth?

Just seeing if deloads help, really.

Not sure what you mean about the program? I don't just do those three movements if that's what you mean, they are my mains though.

Edit: Unless you mean 4 weeks is too often to be deloading?

I have to agree with PTC here..

Deload's are generally implemented in conjugate/concurrent and/or "westide training" every 4 weeks.. the intensity of their training is really high and and the deload is required to prevent burnout and injury..

For what you are doing.. i wouldn't worry about it..

Keep progressing with the 5x5..

If you find that you are "overtraining" aad getting niggles, etc.. then take a week off and deload.. keep logging your training and how your feeling..

so that you get higher the next time.

Macmad, do you do 10kg jumps? i've never sean 5x5 with 10kg jump? did u find it worked better than 2.5kg or 5kg?

why would anybody climb half way up a mountain, go backwards a bit (down to the 1/4 mark) then resume climbing again?

Pete, check out Pauls Lifts, go back to your journal, check yours, then go back to Paul for more advice.

You generally learn more from people who have lifted more than you, not less.

Even PPP has lifters starting there second cycle lower than where their first finished.

The only difference is Paul has 4 week blocks, I have 11.

Its not a deload, its a new starting point for the next cycle

Pete, check out Pauls Lifts, go back to your journal, check yours, then go back to Paul for more advice.

You generally learn more from people who have lifted more than you, not less.

Even PPP has lifters starting there second cycle lower than where their first finished.

The only difference is Paul has 4 week blocks, I have 11.

Its not a deload, its a new starting point for the next cycle

So the way to read pauls is as a 4 week cycle. Makes sense when you look at it that way!

If you are making that next weight every 4 weeks you would be progressing pretty damn quickly. Im stuck in the mentality that each time i go to the gym i want to lift more weight, not less. I might give this a go to see if i can get my lifts moving up again.

My bench is currently at 102.5kg 5x5. So 70% would be 70kg. 70kg seems really low though? Like i wouldnt even feel it, but im guessing thats the point?

Of course- you will also need a belt and a pair of shoes, you'll get there sooner if you wear a pair of vibram five fingers, it intrigues me why they are called five fingers when it's actually toes.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you bench is stuck at 102.5kg then it's time to back down and restart, if it's still increase keep adding weight each week till it stops increasing then go back a few jumps and restart. I'd suggest using 5kg jumps so go back 15kg (3 jumps) to 87.5 and in 4 weeks time hopefully you're up to 107.5kg.

Awesome thanks mate!

Will give it a go and hopefully be smashing 107.5kg in 4 weeks :)

the key idea is that you can't keep adding weight each week, otherwise you'd be squatting 1000kg in a year by just starting with the bar and adding 10kg each week.

Wouldn't I be squatting 520kg + bar in a year??? :D

Good advice though