• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do u prefer barbell or dumbells?

McFLy

super m0derator
I prefer db's for symmetry purposes and more freedom. I don't feel as locked in a lot of movements. Barbells come in handy on heavy rows, deadlifts squats ect but I feel you carry over more strength to barbells from dumbells rather than barbells to dumbells.

In general, I think dumbbells are better for your shoulders. However, I train alone 3/4 of the time so dumbbells aren't an option for all exercises..

I like to mix things up, Dbs and Bbs. People don't like dumbells due to the "percieved" lack of weight you can use. Just take your own adjustable dumbell bars and collars to the gym and load them up with as much weight as they will hold or you can manage. Assuming your gym doesn't have adjustable dumbells and allows you to bring your own.

I like to mix things up, Dbs and Bbs. People don't like dumbells due to the "percieved" lack of weight you can use. Just take your own adjustable dumbell bars and collars to the gym and load them up with as much weight as they will hold or you can manage. Assuming your gym doesn't have adjustable dumbells and allows you to bring your own.

Most gyms have fixed db's upto 50 60 kgs why would u bring your own bars?

Most gyms have fixed db's upto 50 60 kgs why would u bring your own bars?
dumbells dude, not barbells. I've got two 90kg adjustable dumbells on my verandah at home.
Why: 60kg dumbells aren't much for big compound movements.

I have been using strictly BB's since the start of my training but I am looking to incorporate some DB work, particularly with the overhead presses. It might help me get over the plateau if I mix things up a bit.

dumbells dude, not barbells. I've got two 90kg adjustable dumbells on my verandah at home.
Why: 60kg dumbells aren't much for big compound movements.

I've only seen a couple of guys use the 60's at my gym..
They were very big dudes!
I'm not sure your serious

In general, I think dumbbells are better for your shoulders. However, I train alone 3/4 of the time so dumbbells aren't an option for all exercises..

I find db easier on my shoulders also..

I actually find for bench press it's more convenient to use db when on my own

i use a combination of both, barbel for incline bench purely then finish the chest up with flat dumbell.
the gym i go to has fixed dumbells up to 90kg, mind you the 90kg ones havent moved at all since i have been there

I find db easier on my shoulders also..

I actually find for bench press it's more convenient to use db when on my own

Yeah although I've heard goosey say that it's just a matter of finding the correct grip.. but I know that a few years of solid benching involved regular sore shoulders and the last 2 years of dummbell benching has left my shoulders nice and healthy.

I can see what you mean about the db's with benching.. although for me that only applies to flat db bench. Is that because you can just drop it if you really had to?

Yeah although I've heard goosey say that it's just a matter of finding the correct grip.. but I know that a few years of solid benching involved regular sore shoulders and the last 2 years of dummbell benching has left my shoulders nice and healthy.

I can see what you mean about the db's with benching.. although for me that only applies to flat db bench. Is that because you can just drop it if you really had to?

Yeah more or less, I've been caught under a brand new bb before on bench, slid it to my lap, sat up and climbed out, the super sharp knurling on a new bb cut my stomach to bits!! Lol