• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

dumbell press vs smith machine - shoulders

AusNino

which do you guys prefer?

do you get better results on one inparticular? obvisouly we can lift heavier on the smith machine, but is free-weights better?

i normally do dumbell press one week, then swap to smith machine the next and so on...

I strongly feel that using the smith machine for anything other than lying heaves makes you a bit gayer.

which do you guys prefer?

do you get better results on one inparticular? obvisouly we can lift heavier on the smith machine, but is free-weights better?

i normally do dumbell press one week, then swap to smith machine the next and so on...

I am assuming you are not a powerlifter, as there would be no question here - for a powerlifter the (barbell) Bench Press is king.

In my opinion, the problem with the Smith machine is it locks you into a certain plane of movement. A bench press is not a straight up and down movement for most people, the bar follows a curve. Imagine a 5'8" guy and a 6'8" guys - they are both going to have very different bar paths, but the smith machine forces them both into the same path - which most likely is unnatural for both.

So if your question is which of these two is better (discounting any other options) then dumbell press is by far. You have the added benefit of recruiting more stabiliser muscles, as well as moving through a more natural plane.

Tim

It depends, its good to switch it up every so often so your muscles dont no wtf's going on.

Whatever you feel gives best results.
Dorian Yates used to squat religiously for 6-7 years with good results, but after trying out the smith squats and hack squats he didnt go back to bb squats because he reacted to the machine better.
Also with a machine you focus much more on working that muscle and not worry about stabilzing your body.
I aint saying dont do free wieghts at all, as all of my major movements i primarly use free wieghts.
P.S Although it is good to use free wieghts esp if just starting out.
just my 2c
peace

Regardless to whether these to exercises are beneficial or not they are tow different exercises.

But if we are going to compare?

Dumbell pressing will do more for the trainee than barbell.

And when I say "press" I mean standing, strict full rom.

i didnt say every week switch. every so often maybe after a 3-5weeks.
shocking your muscles is not silly not for BB if, your a powerlifter then i dont know cos i dont care about powerlifting.

i'd stick with dumbells.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKS6AYWy-1c]YouTube - Ronnie Coleman- 200lb Dumbbell Bench Press[/ame]

shocking your muscles is not silly not for BB if, your a powerlifter then i dont know cos i dont care about powerlifting.

I remember reading an article by Joe weider when he was in his prime of promoting himself, not only did he recommend shocking: but also bombing and blitzing the muscle.

He certainly single handely fucked up the the culture and turned it into to an industry LOL.

I was commenting on the first post, not yours.

But while were at I've never understood that term, changing a routine or exercise because you've become stagnant yes.

Muscle only knows resistance.

Stagnant after 3-5 weeks, I don't think so. If that was the case I better give up squatting and benching.

i know this is an old post but the OP said shoulder press not bench press... In which case its the same deal. Free weights engages more muscles, so it will give you more bang for your buck. Plus it will make you have a well rounded shoulder as opposed to massive delts that stick out weird..

I thought you were south side GranshsyaududgsyzhsidhsysysvsuzisjgatOqpsjdusgak71 73826):&/&/'yham...?

p.s you really need nickname.

I have given up the smith machine for free weights now, got a sore shoulder from using it too much. No spotters at the gym at the time I go; 5am.