• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Eric Lilliebridge WR Raw Squat

Looked pretty much high bar fairly narrow stance squat.

Yeah, squatting with the quads will never make him strong. I cant belive he thins the quads are important in the squat! He needs to move his stance out, lower the bar and keep his shins vertical. And box squats box squats box squats! None of this leg press and extra quad work shite. He can only lift that much because he's american isnt that right vonfram?

Got a Q... I tried squatting wide the other night and it felt better on my knees. Is this normal? The closer I bring my legs together the more it seems to pressure the knee. The more I bring my knees out the more pressure it seems is on the glutes/hamstrings/adductors. I couldnt handle as much weight but it felt better.

its just the american drugs mate, if i was in america id be squatting 400kg for triples at 15 years old with a broken leg, cause its a totally different world over there compared to here in Aus ;)

Last edited:
i keep getting side tracked by the squatting wide with vertical shins but it just doesn't seem to work.

So im going to stick to moderate stance with a bit of a goodmorning out of the hole. get that movement jack and embrace my strengths.

Just putting this out there, but has any decent lifter actually used the Rippetoe style squat successfully?
Seems like most good squatters try to remain as upright as fucking possible. I can't exactly say that I'm a gun at squatting but since trying to stay as upright as possible and shit as much of the weight onto my adductors as possible my squat has shot up. My stance is wider and I am using more quads just seems awesome all round really. Lilliebridge has his knees really pushed out and doesn't even look like he leans forwards lol. (obviously he does)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJ5mjLd9TI&feature=related]World record 400kg raw squat - Blaine Sumner from USA -- Melbourne Australia - YouTube[/ame]

Sumner has a fair bit of forward lean (certainly more than a WL)

Depends on what your definition of upright is I guess

It's more the leading with the ass that I am talking about.
He does seem to do that as well though. Also: holy shit he is psyched up lol.
Would be interesting to see if his TRAINING squats lead with the ass like that anyway. Not saying it's "bad" but it's a style lots of people seem to do but not really seen many people pull it off.

Anytime i dont stay upright on a heavy-ish squat, it looks very much like this albeit with alot less weight lol
[YOUTUBE]S54Nn2WiqxA[/YOUTUBE]
ever since i brought my stance in and started squatting in OLY shoes its felt so much stronger than going wide and sitting back a tonne, taking advice from raw lifter > taking advice from geared lifters (when training raw obviously)

Yeah, squatting with the quads will never make him strong. I cant belive he thins the quads are important in the squat! He needs to move his stance out, lower the bar and keep his shins vertical. And box squats box squats box squats! None of this leg press and extra quad work shite. He can only lift that much because he's american isnt that right vonfram?

You're having a conversation with yourself and once again demonstrating your predilection for irrelevant, out of context poppycock.

Please, professor, tell us again how the quads cause the lifter to get out of the hole in the squat. But in Oni's dexy world, this guy has powerful quads so therefore he has no need for the muscles that extend the hip and probably should have them surgically removed. His hammies and glutes must be as weak as a baby eh?

You may have missed the point about why remarkable feats are more likely to occur in America than at your local Fitness First.

What do the following champions have in common
Lance Armstrong
The US Track and Field team of the 1980s
Marion Jones
Ed Coan

They are all American.

But I doubt your overly stimulated synapses would recognize this as a euphemism for something else.

I am not making an imputation that EL is that type of American, as I presume everyone clean until they state otherwise or are busted.

yeah, quads don't matter in the hole at all brah
that's why geared lifters who get help out the hole place so much attention to the posterior chain and raw lifters place stress on the quads and get a tonne from knee wraps

No one said that he had weak hamstrings lol. Just that the quads were really important in the raw squat.

Just putting this out there, but has any decent lifter actually used the Rippetoe style squat successfully?
Seems like most good squatters try to remain as upright as fucking possible. I can't exactly say that I'm a gun at squatting but since trying to stay as upright as possible and shit as much of the weight onto my adductors as possible my squat has shot up. My stance is wider and I am using more quads just seems awesome all round really. Lilliebridge has his knees really pushed out and doesn't even look like he leans forwards lol. (obviously he does)

I laugh every time i watch this video of rippetoe squatting
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc"]Mark Rippetoe: Coach Rip Squats 315x10 - YouTube[/ame]