• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Experiences with too much tuna (mercury)?

M

Mattress

Hi all,
I've been lurking a bit too long so I thought I'd ask about one of my favourite foods. I eat a lot of tuna as it is so cheap but eventually I started thinking that eating it in the quantities that I do could lead to mercury poisoning..

As with most things like this, there seems to be so much conflicting information out there so I wanted to know if any of you who eat loads of tuna have had any bad experiences with it.

Anyway, I normally have one of those ~500g tins 5 days a week (eggs when I'm at home), thinking I should switch to the more expensive salmon or less convenient (this is for lunch) chicken (and stuff myself full of fish oil tablets) or something...

....Or maybe one of those big cans of 4 bean mix (I love stuff in cans....)

Haha, yea I suppose some variety would be good. I'll attempt to break my 'tuna addiction' and maybe even have some fun experimenting with other stuff. Although I am genuinely curious to hear from the other tuna addicts!
Some people I know might argue that I'm already suffering the brain damage symptom from mercury poisoning...

Tuna is great but no way would I be eating that as a main meal, especially not each day

I agree with the rest, Mix it up. I have a tin a day as my morning snack with rice crackers or vita wheats.

Tuna is great but no way would I be eating that as a main meal, especially not each day

I agree with the rest, Mix it up. I have a tin a day as my morning snack with rice crackers or vita wheats.

Same, in the afternoon.

I was under the impression from USDA that for an average guy you wouldn't want more than about 2x 185g tins? (or maybe it was 90g tins). You can put in your weight and gender into the site.

I guess we will find out soon enough if it's bad ;)

Fuck knows how you guys eat the same food day after day. That must be so bloody boring. Not sure if that's impressive, stupid or a combination of both - plain crazy. There are so many great options to get your macros from and makes life far more flexible.

As for increased mercury, it's mostly an issue by eating larger breeds of fish that are older and 'more contaminated' from long term exposure. I highly doubt there is any irregularities but a simple blood test from your doctor will give you the facts.

I usually eat 300g of tuna a day and I feel fine.. I eat the flavoured ones though so not sure how different they are (other than fat content) to the springwater cans..

Lime and cracked pepper... fkn amazing