• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi on muscle fibres & more...

Fadi

Muscle Fibre Contraction

It’s Saturday night and you and some of your mates and their girlfriends are going out for some de-stressing time. No sooner you’ve gotten to your destination; you’re met with a group of arrogant rowdy males intent on screwing your night out.

They pick on the biggest bloke… you! With a blink of an eye, one man of the opposition is down and out cold for the count, with a single swift and powerful fist blow to the nose.

Now for the fun bit of analising what has just taken place inside of your killer arm muscles? When you decided that enough was enough, your muscles contracted fully before smashing your opponent’s face. So why did I use the adjective “fully” when describing the verb “to contract”? Because there is no such thing as a partially contracted muscle fibre. To reiterate: when your muscle contracts, it contracts completely or not at all. That was fact #1.

Let’s move to another element of muscle contraction by using the night out scenario yet again.

Muscle fibre recruitment

It seems that although your powerful punch has made a mess of the rude man’s face, it was not enough to intimidate the other gang members into retreat. What to do? Some here might say, well how about punching harder, with more force that would send a clearer message to the angry mob that you really mean business. However, another and a much better and safer option would be to get your mates involved in this dirty and ugly fight. So now we’re talking of group involvement rather than getting your hands dirty all by yourself.

Again, let us go back inside our muscular system and see how we’re going to translate what I’ve just written about the group involvement into muscular physiology. Well, when a muscle fatigues or gets exhausted, more muscle fibres are recruited as they are needed, to complete the job at hand. So to sum up the last point, we say if and when a muscle fibre cannot handle the intensity of the load by itself, the central nervous system insures that more muscle fibres come to its aid as is needed to complete the job at hand. That was fact #2.

Did you know that muscle fibres are not able to vary the intensity of their contraction relative to the load against which they are subjected to? That was fact #3.

Let me first explain what the implication of the above statement really means in simple plain English. What this statement is stating is that a muscular contraction cannot get stronger simply because you’ve added more weight to the bar. I’ll give you an example that would clearly illustrate this point.

When I was weightlifting, I used to perform an assistance exercise called clean pulls, it’s where you lift the bar off the weightlifting platform in an explosive manner. Now let’s say my routine for that workout had called for 5x3 at 180kg. Naturally, I would start with a lighter weight before reaching my max weight for that exercise. It went something like this:

100kg x3
140kg x3
160kg x3
180kg 5x3

Now to look at what was happening inside the muscle fibres again as far as muscle fibre recruitment is concerned. At 100kg, a small percentage of my muscles were recruited by my CNS to lift the weight. Mind you, although a small percentage was recruited, what was recruited was contracting at 100% efficiency/fully (a la fact #1). Now as I progressed up in weight, from 140kg and all the way up to 180kg, more and more muscle fibres became recruited in order for me to blast that weight up explosively. So it was not a case of a stronger contraction of muscle fibres, but rather more of them becoming recruited as needed to help me manage the 180kg (a la fact #2).

Bodybuilding and the best rep range debate.

Check out the internet forums, and you’re sure to find the debate is still raging on as to which rep range is best for muscular hypertrophy. They usually go something like this:

1-5 reps = strength & power, little hypertrophy
6-8 reps = strength & hypertrophy
9-12 reps = hypertrophy & some strength
13-20+ reps = local endurance, some hypertrophy, little strength

Some will tell you that low reps with heavier weights are the way to go since muscle growth is dependent on muscle tension under load. Others would say it’s not the force that counts, but the sheer volume with less emphasis on heavy weights. Confused yet?! My advice: don’t get bogged down with it. I’ll attempt to make it clearer why that is... soon enough.

May the FORCE be with you, mmm… wait, let’s change that to EFFORT!

If you’re one who follows what I write, then you’d know that I neither belong to the high intensity school of bodybuilding, nor do I belong to the high volume school of thought. Ah, you must belong to the school of TUT, that is Time Under tension, which as they say, should determine your rep range. No, no, and no. I belong rather to the school that places effort above all other criteria when it comes to muscular hypertrophy. So if your wish is to build muscles, then choose whatever rep range you believe works best for you, (I won’t argue with you), and then apply full effort to stimulate your muscles into some serious growth. Even if full out effort is applied for only one (usually the last set) out of 3, 4, or whatever, then you will reap the reward that is optimum muscle stimulus (not growth, since that occurs outside the gym as you all know).

I’ll let you in on my training philosophy without burdening you with my full program for now. I feel the deal when I restrict my rest periods between sets to between 30-60 seconds max, depending on the exercise at hand. Why such short rest period? It’s to do with muscle fibre recruitment, insuring that the muscle fibres that I’ve just smashed don’t get a chance to recover fully. A trained athlete such as I can regain about 75% of his power output after 30 seconds of an all-out effort, and about 85% recovery after 60 seconds. Energy Pathways: Anaerobic and aerobic Energy Pathways

So why is that so important I hear you ask? Well it’s important that I commence my subsequent sets prior to when full recovery has taken place in order to place emphasis on stressing the glycolytic energy system (speaking from an Energy Pathways point of view), and to insure recruitment of the larger and more powerful fast twitch muscle fibres according to the critically analised/revised Size Principle (law) by Dr Ralph N. Carpinelli. The Size Principle as Carpinelli puts it is as follows: “The size principle states that when the central nervous system recruits motor units for a specific activity, it begins with the smallest, more easily excited, least powerful motor units and progresses to the larger, more difficult to excite, more powerful motor units to maintain or increase force.” Carpinelli views it like this: “Although the size principle is described reasonably accurately, it is often followed by a misunderstanding of the underlying neurophysiological concept and its practical application.”

...so in a nutshell, what he’s saying is that the original size principle study (by Dr Henneman 1957) has been misunderstood by authors on the subject to mean that heavier is better (or the force/weight was the controlling factor) which Dr. Carpinelli rejects, as he points out that it’s the effort and not the resistance that is the controlling factor, saying that the prerequisite for maximum muscle fibre recruitment is determined by the level of effort. THE SIZE PRINCIPLE AND A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OFTHE UNSUBSTANTIATED HEAVIER-IS-BETTER RECOMMENDATION FOR RESISTANCE TRAINING http://www.scsepf.org/doc/291208/Paper1.pdf.

Let me explain/demonstrate it using Dr. Carpinelli’s way.

Effort vs. Force

larry-scott.jpg

may-the-force-be-with-you.jpg

Allow me to demonstrate to you how muscular effort rather than force, (weight on the bar) is the controlling factor in causing maximum muscle fibre recruitment. Yes, that’s the slow twitch (Type I) muscle fibres and fast-twitch Type IIa and Type IIb fibres all joining in the party.

Please take a look at the photo of Larry Scott performing the exercise he made famous. Now let us just pretend for a moment that Larry is curling 40kg. Let us further pretend that he’s actually applying the isometric principle (where the weight is static) and that (as in the photo), he’s holding the bar at its most difficult position for the working biceps; at an elbow angle of 90 degrees. We’ve assumed that the weight on the bar is 40kg, and we know that for Larry to hold that weight stationary, his muscles would have to be applying an effort of exactly 40kg to maintain that static position, or else the bar would begin to travel up or down. Now as time elapses, Larry would have to apply more and more effort to that bar in order for him to keep it from dropping. So now we know that although the force (weight) has remained constant at 40kg, the effort applied by Larry’s biceps has changed/has increased over time (relative to the weight feeling heavier and heavier), or else that bar would have dropped. Are you with me? So after a given time (say 60 seconds or so), the muscular effort would decrease (as the recruited muscle fibres get fatigued) to such an extent that would not allow Larry to maintain 40kg of effort to match the weight of that bar, resulting in the termination of the set. You can bet that at the peak of muscular effort (that is at or near maximum effort), all the muscle fibres were joining the party… of muscle fibre recruitment/or involvement a la fact #2 (remember those thugs)!

Just in case, (just in case) you’re having some problem wrapping your head around this, believing that the weight (and not the effort) was the controlling factor in achieving maximum muscle fibre recruitment, I say this: let’s say you could go on holding that 40kg for 60 seconds, but you decided to stop at 30, would you have achieved maximum muscle fibre involvement? The answer is no, you would not have. Okay then, why? I mean the weight (which you believed was the controlling factor) has not changed, it was still 40kg, so why didn’t it manage to cause for you full muscle fibre involvement? The answer is simply because you, (starting with your brain, where effort is initiated by the way) have decided to call it quits. You’ve called it quits at 30 seconds by deciding to stop applying more and more effort to that dead 40kg weight.

The Best Bodybuilding Method of All Times… really?!

At 20, I used to think I was Mr. Invincible (just like most other 20 year olds), But as time passes by and one gets older (and hopefully wiser), one realises that there’s more to building muscles than simply pushing the heavies around. Now approaching 47, I have my heart and joints to consider when designing a bodybuilding program. If you happen to favour one method of training above all other methods; be it high volume, HIT, training to failure, and all other methods in between, please consider the fact that each method has its advocates and World Champions. Having said that, you’d always get the ignorant and the arrogant not only claiming that their method is the best, but they find it necessary to put other methods down in the process. Imagine this “guru” walking up to freaky Lee Priest or the Austrian oak (in his hey days) and insulting them for using high volume training, accusing them of being sissies and telling them how much inferior their method is compared to his! Or we can have it the other way around, where one feels the need to abuse Dorian Yates and the late Mike Mentzer and their followers for advocating their method of HIT. I hope we can rise above such short sightedness ladies and gentlemen, and show only respect and admiration to all Champions and their followers irrespective of method/s used.

Let’s finish off with yet another study that may challenge the way you have thought about things weight related. Low-Load High Volume Resistance Exercise Stimulates Muscle Protein Synthesis More Than High-Load Low Volume Resistance Exercise in Young Men. Don’t forget to check out the comment section, I found it very interesting indeed. PLoS ONE: Low-Load High Volume Resistance Exercise Stimulates Muscle Protein Synthesis More Than High-Load Low Volume Resistance Exercise in Young Men

Take home message: choose the rep range/s that you’re convinced is best for you; choose the method/s that you feel comfortable with, but whichever rep range or method you choose (though I’d personally vary both), consistency of effort is the way and will always be the way to bring out the beast that is hiding inside of you. Do not be intimidated by anyone’s method, and certainly don’t feel that you need to lift very heavy weights (possibly risking an injury) just so you can please some and feel that you “belong”. Be your own athlete and know what works best for you and what you respond to the best.

I wish you all the very best with your health and training. It’s over to you now...

Fadi.

Last edited:
Why were you punching people out cold at the start? And what did it have to do with bodybuilding? Apart from that good read.

Why were you punching people out cold at the start? And what did it have to do with bodybuilding? Apart from that good read.
That's the way I write, some like my style and some don't. There's not much I can do about it except to remain true to myself and write what comes naturally. In anycase, I do thank you for your contribution Bazza.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thank you dear sir for another good read. You have a great gift of writing about hard science in an easy-relatable manner. I feel I must revisit a few things, such as motor units and the three types of muscle fibers.

It's beena pretty long time since ive done direct 'bodybuilding' type of work.....a part of me wants to lock & load and spend a good 6 months doing it while having a rest away from the platform!!

Great write-up Fadi, as always I learned something new from your writings that I will be able to translate to my training. Ahhh, the blessed age of the internet, I have access to information like this without having to have trained for 10yrs to work it out.

Thanks
Graeme

EDIT:
OK, now I'm a bit confused here Fadi. Is effort measured by training to failure or near failure?

Last edited:
Thanks Fadi. It sounded like you were promoting the use of a pyramid set (kind of) by starting with lower weights but you kept the amount of reps the same, any reason for that? I'm curious because I notice people normally when they start with lower weeights do higher reps and decrease the reps as they increase the weights.

I've been trying the pyramid sets method recently and found it to be quite a good way to be able to lift some decent weights and I think what you were saying about muscle fibre recruitment would have a lot to do with that.

Thanks again for a easy to follow post.

Thank you for your thoughts gentlemen.

No David, I was not promoting the use of the pyramiding when I gave the example of a weightlifter. I was simply illustrating the difference between muscle fibre contraction and muscle fibre recruitment and how they respond to the need of the lifter as more effort is applied. Lifting the 100kg calls for less muscle fibre recruitment, however whatever has been recruited, would have contracted at 100%. Getting up to the 180kg, we now have more muscle fibre recruitment of the harder to stimulate type, that is the intermediate and the fast type IIa and IIb respectively. I was making a clear distinction between contraction and recruitment of muscle fibres according to the effort applied.

Fadi.

Thank you for your thoughts gentlemen.

No David, I was not promoting the use of the pyramiding when I gave the example of a weightlifter. I was simply illustrating the difference between muscle fibre contraction and muscle fibre recruitment and how they respond to the need of the lifter as more effort is applied. Lifting the 100kg calls for less muscle fibre recruitment, however whatever has been recruited, would have contracted at 100%. Getting up to the 180kg, we now have more muscle fibre recruitment of the harder to stimulate type, that is the intermediate and the fast type IIa and IIb respectively. I was making a clear distinction between contraction and recruitment of muscle fibres according to the effort applied.

Fadi.

Here is a question were said lifts all lifted at thre same speed or were they lifted as explosives as possible?

Here is a question were said lifts all lifted at thre same speed or were they lifted as explosives as possible?
Dave, please note the premise of my argument, and that is the proper understanding of the Size Principle and not its misunderstanding, or rather its misapplication.

It seems there are some authors who say they believe in the Size Principle (as was described in my article), yet they go on to violate its very principle. So let me copy and paste for you from page 6 of Dr. Carpinelli critical analysis of the claims made, one of which was regarding velocity, or speed in which weightlifters apply to their lift. http://www.scsepf.org/doc/291208/Paper1.pdf

Kraemer and Newton (2000) stated that according to the size principle, the smaller low-threshold motor units are recruited first and the progressively higher threshold motor units are recruited with increasing demands of the activity. However, their statement is followed by four misapplications of the size principle:

3. “Exercises performed by weightlifters such as the clean and jerk lift may have the potential for recruitment patterns not adhering to the size principle to enhance power production. Rather than starting with the recruitment of low-threshold motor units, high threshold motor units are recruited first. This means that the low-threshold motor units are not recruited in the activity but are skipped over to recruit the high threshold motor units first” (p. 363). There was no reference cited to support their opinion that the size principle is violated.

Now I’m not 100% sure that:
1. I have fully understood what you meant by your question, and
2. If I have remotely answered it for you

It was not about making or even attempting to make a comparison between bodybuilding and weightlifting in my article Dave, but rather, it was about the application of effort being the controlling factor in muscle fibre recruitment.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Hey Fadi, Just a bit of a question.
I understand all the muscle fibre recruitment side of things. But as far as training for 1RM strength goes my thoughts are that higher weight lower reps is better as it would teach your body to recruite more muscle fibres quicker is this correct?

Probably as explosive as possable.
Peter, whether all lifts were or were not lifted at the same speed is beside the point and not the main point for me. The reason is this: since I’m talking about the effort being applied to the weight on the bar here, then I can be certain that I did not give 100% effort, neither on the 100kg, nor the 180kg for that matter. You’re probably asking yourself why that is. Well, the answer (again) has to do with the Size Principle, where maximum recruitment of the hard to excite fast twitch muscle fibres can only be recruited when one gives 100% or near 100% effort. Pulling 180kg off the platform for 3 reps, and being able to pull it for (say) 5 reps, would mean that I did not give 100% effort.

So to assume that just because a lift is lifted with high velocity over one lifted with less speed would automatically mean the application of 100% or near 100% effort, would make weightlifters the most muscular people on earth, but we know that is not the case, even after 20 years of training etc.

A huge variable between weightlifters and bodybuilders exist that causes one (the bodybuilder) to have bigger muscles than the weightlifter. The variable is EFFORT! When I was weightlifting, though I trained with such a high frequency (8x/week), I hardly gave 100% effort to my lifts. No, that did not make me lazy, it was the nature of the sport and the fact that I was not concerned with muscle hypertrophy but rather nervous system training. Just as there is such a thing as cardiorespiratory training, there also exists such a thing as nervous system training. Furthermore, the rest intervals applied between sets in these two sports vary considerably, again, affecting the end result when it comes to muscle recruitment as I have described in my article.

Fadi.

Hey Fadi, Just a bit of a question.
I understand all the muscle fibre recruitment side of things. But as far as training for 1RM strength goes my thoughts are that higher weight lower reps is better as it would teach your body to recruite more muscle fibres quicker is this correct?
Again, I must refer you back to the study I presented by Dr. Carpinelli http://www.scsepf.org/doc/291208/Paper1.pdf where although the claim has been made that there is documentation that shows inhibition of lower-threshold motor units, which supposedly allows the brain to more quickly activate higher threshold motor units; no evidence was provided.

A copy and paste from the link I posted above (and in the article itself) is presented for you below.

4. “The determining factor of whether to recruit high or low-threshold motor units is the total amount of force necessary to perform the muscular action” (p.363). As previously discussed, their statement is not supported by the size principle or interpolated twitch studies. In a book edited by Kraemer and Hakkinen, Kraemer claimed that a 6 RM load or heavier is required for strength gains (Kraemer 2002); Fleck (2002) recommended 2–6 repetitions to increase strength; Hasegawa and colleagues (2002) recommended 1–5 None of these authors cited any references to substantiate their heavier-is-better training philosophy. Kraemer and Gomez (2001) noted that the size principle is one of the primary concepts in neuromuscular activation, and that lower-threshold motor units are recruited before the higher-threshold units. They also claimed that there is documentation that shows inhibition of lower-threshold motor units, which supposedly allows the brain to more quickly activate higher threshold motor units. However, they did not cite any evidence to support their belief that the size principle is violated.

There’s so much we don’t understand, and as you can see from the above, some really heavy weight scientist are saying what you have suggested in your post, however by doing so, they are contradicting the very same muscle recruitment principle they believe in, namely the Size Principle. So what I am saying to you here boxing23, is that yes, we get stronger when we train utilising those low reps with a weight that is close to our 1RM, but we don’t understand why it happens.

Something interesting from all of this though, is the fact that for muscle hypertrophy to occur, 100% or near 100% effort is required, and not so much how much weight you’ve got on the bar. Based on that, I can draw a conclusion that the reason weightlifters are not fundamentally as big as bodybuilders, lies in the application of their effort, which as I’ve said before is not at 100%, except perhaps when one attempts a 1RM. Again, that takes me to another field, and that is the field of volume vs. reps that hover around 3 most of the time, as is the case in weightlifting. To me this proves that effort is the controlling factor in muscle recruitment, and that there is something else going on when one dips below the 5 reps mark and focuses on weights that are close to his 1RM, but not quite there. That’s why I said, one sport is nervous system orientated, and the other is muscular system orientated. To compare the two would be to compare apples with oranges.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Fadi,
I'm trying to get my head around this, thinking in scientific priciples...

so each muscle fibre is only on or off, and each fibre produces a certain amount of Force

(for muscle fibers that are not tired...)
to activate more fibres requires a larger load so that (number of fibres x fibre Force) = load
when you introduce a time component, and lift faster, you increase the Power required, and does that also recruit more fibres in the same way as more load? (even though the Work done to move a smaller weight the same distance as a larger weight is lower, the Power to move smaller weight in shorter time = more force = same number of fibres used? or different fibres are used?)

(when muscles get tired)
if you are not activating 100% of your fibres, and have a short rest period, are you saying that those fibres don't contribute, or don't contribute as much in the next set, so your nerves have to start up the nearby, less tired, muscle fibres to achieve the same amount of force?
so by the end of a few sets you've managed to fire all of the muscle fibres (kind of by elimination of "used" fibres..), even though the weight was lower than required to engage all the fibres in one go?

so in the end, you have "A" number of muscle fibres, capable of "B" force each for a period of time "T"... and to get the best from them, you need to make as manyfibres tired as possible? A x B x T = Effort?

And whether you tire all the fibres out by doing more reps at lower weight, or higher reps at lower weight, if the total Work (Effort) done is the same (force x distance), and is the maximum that all the fibres can muster, then the end result should be similar?

but if maximum Effort is not reached, then low load is less likely to engage 100% of fibres than high load?

...but if maximum Effort is not reached, then low load is less likely to engage 100% of fibres than high load?
I think you've got the idea very well indeed. Now load is load (within reason of course), as I've demonstrated with the Larry Scott example. Remember the second example I gave, where the lifter quits at 30 seconds instead of 60? Well, the load remained constant, but the effort was terminated, hence maximum fibre recruitment was not achieved. How about the second example I gave with the MMA fighter kicking his opponent. The effort that was applied was initiated by the fighter's brain, and then was translated into force that landed on the head of his opponent. Again, the controlling factor was the effort and not the force. The generated force was the result of effort and not the other way around.

Heavy or light weight is not the question, the question is what effort you would apply to it to maximise on muscle recruitment. Please read the main study by Dr. Carpinelli if you haven’t already done so. I’m sure you’ll find it interesting.

The name of the game here is to be near or at maximum effort the last few reps of your set to insure involvement of all muscle fibre types. When I get home tonight, I will be doing one set (albeit extended) for my shoulders that would more than suffice to insure maximum recruitment of all types of muscle fibre. Performing two sets like that, would leave no doubt in both mind and body that my workout had hit its target... fully!

PS: You say: “but if maximum effort is not reached….” I ask why? Why was it not reached? Let’s go back to Larry and his 40kg of barbell Scott curls example.

Fadi.

Last edited: