• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fear Factor

Which causes you the most anguish and distress

• 20 rep squats

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Maximum Bench

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Maximum Squat

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Maximum Deadlift

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

vonfram88

Which of the following causes you the most anxiety in the days leading up to a workout?

1. 20 rep squats
2. Maximum Bench
3. Maximum Deadlift
4. Maximum Squat

i said max squats, but i say that as a 5rm not 1rm, too fired up at a comp to be distressed about a 1rm haha but you know you have a hard session ahead of you when it makes you want to curl up into a ball a cry... we call them dread sets down at MTS, at this point dan pulls out the prayer book haha not even kidding.
high rep squats? meh
deadlifts above 8 reps on the other hand make me want to vomit... high rep deads will be the death of me.
forced reps on bench? they too make me want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Yeah... Max squats for 3x5 reps following linear progression.......

Gets pretty damn daunting towards the end....

20 reppers on the other hand just suck balls!!!

Max squat!....deadlifts you can just drop it...20 reppers are usually light(ish), it's just the lungs that burn. And I don't bench enough to know lol

20 reppers I know for certain when I can bail out
Max bench I'm protected by the rack
Max deadlift I can just drop it
Max squat, I am protected by the rack but I've never ever failed a squat rep so the uncertainty always gets me

Max squat for reps, tis something I think about for a while leading up to it, not anxiety though, just thoughts of not letting it beat me :D

I said bench but mainly because if I'm going for the other ones I have a "fairly" good idea that I'll be able to make them. Not so with bench, farkin' suck at it.

Sqwatz for me i guess.
Failed 5 rep once with only a back spot. I then fell backwards and pinned my spotter against the wall behind us, with the barbell in between us.
Fun times.

I expected more fear of the 20rep squats in this poll. I didn't mean 20reps with 60kg, more like 20 reps with around 1.5 x bw.

I expected more fear of the 20rep squats in this poll. I didn't mean 20reps with 60kg, more like 20 reps with around 1.5 x bw.

i never fear a 1rm of any lift because i know i can bail on it and trust my spotters. I fear the 20reppers cuz i know how much itll hurt the hips and lungs and my walking technique the following day.

20 reppers @ 1.5bw! holy shit, I can barely pump out 10 and then I'm faarked.

I should go for a 20 rep @ bw, it sounds doable but I've never done it!

i think looking at the distress from fear of failure is the wrong idea of distress, i took it as how the sets actually make you feel, knowing how painful it will be and how each rep makes you vomit in your mouth a little.... ugh those high rep deads *dies*