• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fish Oil Supplement

Gunner

What Fish Oil Supplement do you take?

I have just started supplementing my Omega 3 intake with Bioglan Super Fish Oil. I am relatively new to supplementing omega 3 as I have been eating fish everyday.

I chose the Bioglan Super Fish oil because it has a higher value of omega 3 compared to their 1000g version and it claims to disolve in the intestines and not in the stomach (which can cause a fishy burp back). I haven't has any fishy burp back so I guess that works (for me at least).

What do you take and why?

I take the cheapest ordinary tablet I can find that is tested for mercury. you can usually get 1000 capsules of Healthy Life (I think that's the brand?) for $25 from health food shops

Why?

Because:
  • if you work out the cost per mg of omega 3, the high strength stuff and the liquid stuff are both way more expensive than the ones I listed above
  • the non-reflex formula is not needed if you are not a pussy. Alternatively, if you keep the capsules in the freezer, it will dissolve slower, meaning less burps.
Eating fish every day is probably a bad idea from a mercury intake point of view, depending on the fish of course.

I take the cheapest ordinary tablet I can find that is tested for mercury. you can usually get 1000 capsules of Healthy Life (I think that's the brand?) for $25 from health food shops

Why?

Because:
  • if you work out the cost per mg of omega 3, the high strength stuff and the liquid stuff are both way more expensive than the ones I listed above
  • the non-reflex formula is not needed if you are not a pussy. Alternatively, if you keep the capsules in the freezer, it will dissolve slower, meaning less burps.
Eating fish every day is probably a bad idea from a mercury intake point of view, depending on the fish of course.

Taking "cheapest ordinary" fish oil has its disadvantages...

Firstly its encapsulation may not be resistant to heat which can cause the fish oil to go rancid...

Secondly you need about 3 capsules to get the same amount of epa/dha as you would for the 1 capsule of "expensive fish oil"..

You then have the piece of mind that the encapsulated in a UV protected capsule which is resistant to sunlight which helps in preventing of fats going rancid...

Cheap fish oil for 200tabs is - $25

Expensive fish oil such as Jarrow formulas DHA/EPA complex for 180tabs is $27

You need about 2-3 tablets of "cheap brand" for the 1 tablet of Jarrow brand DHA/EPA to get the equivalent...

So when you do the maths the cheap one is actually the expensive one when you look at the benefits...

But that's just me.

Here's the link;
(Jarrow Formulas, Max DHA, 607 mg, 180 Softgels - iHerb.com)

Taking "cheapest ordinary" fish oil has its disadvantages...

Firstly its encapsulation may not be resistant to heat which can cause the fish oil to go rancid...

Secondly you need about 3 capsules to get the same amount of epa/dha as you would for the 1 capsule of "expensive fish oil"..

You then have the piece of mind that the encapsulated in a UV protected capsule which is resistant to sunlight which helps in preventing of fats going rancid...

Cheap fish oil for 200tabs is - $25

Expensive fish oil such as Jarrow formulas DHA/EPA complex for 180tabs is $27

You need about 2-3 tablets of "cheap brand" for the 1 tablet of Jarrow brand DHA/EPA to get the equivalent...

So when you do the maths the cheap one is actually the expensive one when you look at the benefits...

But that's just me.

Here's the link;
(Jarrow Formulas, Max DHA, 607 mg, 180 Softgels - iHerb.com)

My maths must be better than yours. You're getting ripped.

You can get 1000 tabs for $25. You can get the Healthy Care brand 400 capsule packs for $12-14 from the local pharmacy: Healthy Care Fish Oil 1000mg Capsules 400 - ePharmacy

That 8-10c per g of fish oil.
Your Jarrow brand is 25c per g of fish oil.

You'll note that your Jarrow Brand also carries a warning that says to keep away from heat and light. And the last time I checked my pantry door and the manufacturer opaque thick plastic container are both pretty good at shielding UV.

You can get 1000 tabs for $25. You can get the Healthy Care brand 400 capsule packs for $12-14 from the local pharmacy: Healthy Care Fish Oil 1000mg Capsules 400 - ePharmacy

You'll note that your Jarrow Brand also carries a warning that says to keep away from heat and light. And the last time I checked my pantry door and the manufacturer opaque thick plastic container are both pretty good at shielding UV.

I just had a look in the health food store most fishoils 1g providing 100-120mg DHA

Jarrow formula contains 250mg per 0.6g So say almost half just to make it easier.. 2 are 500mg DHA cheap chemist ones are 200mg.

See the point?

You need to be taking more and consuming more EPA then you need and more tablets for no reason.

The heat thing has more to do with processing, storage, sitting on a shelf.

You take fish oil why? For EPA and DHA. That is what you need to be looking at not how many G of actual oil can i shovel down for the cheapest price.

Cheap brand - 12% DHA per 1gram oil
Expensive brand - about 40% DHA depending on brands per 1gram of oil...

So your getting 4times more DHA in the better brand...

8c x 4 = 24cents (could be more as you said 8-10cents) per serving of DHA for the cheap brand where the expensive brand is 25cents per capsule...

Saving 1cent per capsule is the least of my worries... At least I know my fish oil is coming from sardines and is one of the better options of sources to get fish oil from as opposed to taking something else which is most likely exposed to heat during processing and has a higher risk of mercury...

That's my opinion... I would rather pay the extra 1cent for the 180capsules I get and pay the total $1.80 for peace of mind...

I get a student discount on a good brand fish oil which is 550mg per 1 gram and is about $$25 for 180caps.

My maths could be wrong lol.

my calculation was intended to be based on the content of Omega-3, not per gram of oil. But I didn't realise that the Jarrow's brand wasn't 600mg of Omega-3 - it was 600mg of fish oil. I used the omega-3 concentration for my brand, not the volume of fish oil, so it works out even cheaper.

If you look Omega-3 in total, it's 8c per gram of DHA+EPA versus 52c. Over 5 times the price.

If you look solely at the DHA content, in the brand I buy it is 300mg (120 DHA /180 EPA). This works out 21c per gram of DHA ($25/(120mgx1,000 capsules) versus 60c per gram of DHA for the Jarrows brand ($27/250mgx180). 3 times the price.

I honestly couldn't be bothered with the maths...

Bottom line is why spend less and try to save on an inferior product when it costs you $25 for 30days for a good quality fish oil...

That honestly TO ME isn't much money at all. considering before I knew nothing about health I was spending $300 a night on a good Saturday night and many other people I know are the same yet they don't want to spend money on a good multivitamin which is about $40 for 3months...

I don't think Gunner mentioned money being a massive issue, and if it is then yes go for the cheaper brand...

Everyone has different opinions on what is worth what... Prime example organic vs non organic... Comes down to opinion and value vs quality...

I am sure Gunner can make his own mind up on what option better suites him.

Yes but how much EPA are you getting to get sufficient Dha? Have you worked that one out?

Yes but how much EPA are you getting to get sufficient Dha? Have you worked that one out?

Is the amount of extra EPA I would be consuming something I should be concerned about?

I'm sure you'll find some esoteric study showing that it will shrink my testes.:p

Is the amount of extra EPA I would be consuming something I should be concerned about?

I'm sure you'll find some esoteric study showing that it will shrink my testes.:p

Not sure if your being a smart arse like jet, but it can suppress your immune system.

I'm currently taking Nature's Answer Liquid fish oil Omega-3 Fish Oil it costs just over $20 a bottle deliver from iHerb for 480ml. The ratio is 650mg EPA/450mg DHA per teaspoon(5ml).

Whats a good fish oil supplement that you can buy in store though, I'm not a big fan of buying stuff online, especially if its from overseas.

Also prefer to not take things in tablet form, drinkable is better, but fish oil i imagine tastes like crap lol.

cheers.

Been having a bit of a look at fish oil today and couple of points ring through. Not sure if these are correct but sounds feasable.

1. Fish oil that smells bad has probabley gone off and is rancid.
2. Some companies add a flavour to cover the rancid oil.
3. The enteric coating can mask the rancid oil because the coating disolves in the intestine and not in the stomach so you dont know if it rancid because there is no burp back.
4. DHA is more inportant than EPA

With these in mind and with a web search so full of shit, it is hard to find a descent fish oil. Would be good if there was a comparison of known brands. If there is one, a can't find it.

Maybe someone else on here may know of one.

Whats a good fish oil supplement that you can buy in store though, I'm not a big fan of buying stuff online, especially if its from overseas.

Also prefer to not take things in tablet form, drinkable is better, but fish oil i imagine tastes like crap lol.

cheers.
Ethical Nutrients make 280ml bottles of flavoured liquid fish oil Hi-Strength Liquid Fish Oil | Ethical Nutrients most chemists/pharmacies should stock it, I know chemist warehouse does.

So how much EPA and DHA must I take every day for brain and joint health?? Is it 2 g EPA and 1.5 g DHA? I can't find a source which tells me the recommended amounts.