• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Flat Bench

Bazza20

I've realised that i don't really enjoy doing flat bench. I'm not that good at it and it just always feels unnatural to me. I've decided why waste time on lifts I hate when there are so many other good exercises out there to do.

Other exercises that are similar that just seem to click better for me.

Overhead pressing
Incline bench
Floor press
Dips

Now can anyone see a hole in my plan if I just drop flat bench for a while are focus on improving these lifts that I actually enjoy and see what happens.

Seems a solid plan to me. You're much more likely to be consistent and work harder because you're enjoying it, too.

Quick question that I have been pondering the past few days: how do you get under the bar for the floor press?

Seems a solid plan to me. You're much more likely to be consistent and work harder because you're enjoying it, too.

Quick question that I have been pondering the past few days: how do you get under the bar for the floor press?

I set up in the power rack.

Your shoulders will possibly thank you for it.

How are you going to program these lifts in?
Or are you going to just focus on a lift in a given time?

Your shoulders will possibly thank you for it.

How are you going to program these lifts in?
Or are you going to just focus on a lift in a given time?

Going by feel a fair bit at the moment because of footy effecting weight training a fair bit. But basically do upper body stuff 3-4 times a week and just rotate through the exercises trying to hit more weight or reps or sets than last time.

Personally I'm a big fan of floor pressing.

I hadn't done a lot of it previously, but when I did do it, I found it had direct carry over to flat bench anyway. I'm now doing floor pressing as my main bench press exercise as an experiment to see how it affects my regular bench press.

It's much easier to do on your own too. No need for spotters when using full size plates, as you can just push the bar off your chest and roll it away.

Personally I'm a big fan of floor pressing.

I hadn't done a lot of it previously, but when I did do it, I found it had direct carry over to flat bench anyway. I'm now doing floor pressing as my main bench press exercise as an experiment to see how it affects my regular bench press.

It's much easier to do on your own too. No need for spotters when using full size plates, as you can just push the bar off your chest and roll it away.

Yeah I really like it and easy on the shoulders.

Also if I was into bodybuilding, dumbbell floor press gives a huge pump in my pecs for some reason.

Jim Wendler wrote on his websites that he has some trainees do weighted dips instead of bench on 5/3/1 program. Just figure out the max, then work the percentages and reps the same.