• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Football (Gridiron) Camp in the USA

rd78

Hey guys,

I have been training with Markos at PTC since late May of this year in the hope of becoming a better athlete in my pursuit of a scholarship to play College Football in the US.

My biggest opportunity to achieve my goal starts this weekend when I fly to the US to take part in a football camp in Florida.

I will be training 15 times a week in a bid to improve my football skills and to impress coaches from around the country.

I will try to keep everyone up to date with my progress as my training continues.

Rory

Was that complex hard enough tonight big fella lol

Its my going away present. Did you see Max do it lol

What position do you play?

Do many other Aussies make it over there? Have only heard about that AFL player who made it as a kicker.

Rory is 6'8" and 140kg @ 18yo

He is no kicker lol

Rory is an offensive linesman

Most Aussies are kickers over there, which makes Rory's achievement so much better

What position do you play?

Do many other Aussies make it over there? Have only heard about that AFL player who made it as a kicker.

There was a dude who was one of Australia's top sprinters- he went over for last seasons NFL draft and I believe it got picked up as a wide receiver. I met his trainer- he was doing some powerlifting to build his strength- apparently bench press for reps is huge for them as a performance indicator/measure.
I'm pretty sure Adam Pinkard went over for college football as well- he is 180kg so my guess is he wasn't a kicker or wide receiver.
I love grid iron.
Good luck Rory- make the most of it- its an awesome opportunity.

Last edited:
Rory...welcome mate...good luck to you in the pursuit of your dream...I've been a follower of the Cowboys for about the last 20years...and keep a close eye on the aussies that take a gamble and try there luck in the NFL...

If you show the drive and your passion to succeed and you will get noticed!

Rory is 6'8" and 140kg @ 18yo

He is no kicker lol

Rory is an offensive linesman

Most Aussies are kickers over there, which makes Rory's achievement so much better
Nice work, and good luck Rory! :)

What I find odd is that no football code in Australia hasn't picked him up. Just with his size he should earn a spot on any rep or development team in AFL, or either rugby codes.

Nice work, and good luck Rory! :)

What I find odd is that no football code in Australia hasn't picked him up. Just with his size he should earn a spot on any rep or development team in AFL, or either rugby codes.

No offense but they are completely different sports. There is no one in the AFL at 140kgs. Not saying it couldn't be done, but there is none.

Gridiron players/positions are very much focused on doing one thing and one thing well....i.e they have a kicker to kick - he does nothing else, they have a blocker to block - he does nothing else etc etc...

Union, League, Afl - you need to do a number of things well - so in that regard be a more overall athlete...

I think if you can get over there and get with a college it will be great! Even if the least you get out of it is a free degree lol...

Good luck mate!

No offense but they are completely different sports. There is no one in the AFL at 140kgs. Not saying it couldn't be done, but there is none.

Kids get picked at around 12 years old by development coaches in all sports. Kids go from soccer to rugby, basketball to league, happens all the time. They pick a rock and turn it into a diamond.

The guys at the Dolphins have already asked me about him playing football lol

You should have seen there faces when he pulled that 287kg trap bar

Its a matter of Rory picking a College now.

Rory has been getting up at odd hours for phone interviews with heaps of schools

Union, League, Afl - you need to do a number of things well - so in that regard be a more overall athlete.

I see where you're coming from but I would argue otherwise. For instance, in my position you are expected to be say 6'3"-6'9"ish and weigh between 135 and 160kg. They also expect you to be able to run 40 yards in 5-5.5seconds and there are other assorted tests of agility, power, flexibility and speed.

Long story short, you cant JUST be big and strong and make it at this level in American Football, you need to be very athletic for someone of your size.

Thanks everyone for the support, I will make sure I keep you all posted on how I progress.

Pick a school that has colours that will set off my eyes, with all that merchandise your bringing back