• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

football soccer training

laz

hey guys this is my first post . im 17 being playing football for*as long*as i can*remember i live in australia i am moving over to the uk next year to pursue my carer in football i am doing everything i can to be the best i can be when i go from traing to fitness to diet to gym. now my question is what is the best weight traing to do iv heard do the normal 10 12 reps and iv also heard do low reps 3 6 reps witch one is best for soccer btw im a goalkepper *i am curently about 64 kg and 6.0 6.1 ft *any help would be*greatly*appreciated*also best*exercises * * * * * * * * * .. also i have bein going to gym for about 1 year trying tp put on muscel wich i have done i am now wanting to realy focus on stregth and*explosives*for soccer*

6'1 at 64kg is really tiny but lucky for you all you need to do is be able to move.explosively. what are your current deadlift and squat numbers?

I hope the UK coach you in spelling and grammar

I remember my exercise physiology lecturer (and soccer player) explaining that elite level players will run an average 10km per game. The said lecturer then went on to tell me about his program of lateral raises and Bench for reps.

Having not seen any research and being honest, not having a understanding of the game. I would suggest your best options would be to find a Olympic lifting coach and a running coach.

I hope the UK coach you in spelling and grammar

I remember my exercise physiology lecturer (and soccer player) explaining that elite level players will run an average 10km per game. The said lecturer then went on to tell me about his program of lateral raises and Bench for reps.

Having not seen any research and being honest, not having a understanding of the game. I would suggest your best options would be to find a Olympic lifting coach and a running coach.

I think you missed the part where he said he is a goal keeper... Just a slight bit less running.

Powersnatches, squats, deadlifts and a crapload of lat work. I'd add in a press as well for balance

What does your current training schedule look like and what is involved?

(I mean team/football training sessions but feel free to include your gym sessions.)

Without knowing the above, I would probably suggest a general strengthening program (at 64kg Starting Strength may be as good a place as any to begin, depends on if you've actually been training this past year or spinning your wheels). I would probably also seek out a coach for the Olympic lifts, doing these a couple times a week in conjunction with plyo/jump training. Specifically to develop vertical and jumping/leaping capability.

Conditioning I would keep to short duration, high intensity tasks. Repeat sprints, hill sprints, sled pulls, prowler pushes, etcetc.

General aerobic fitness I will assume is taken care of via scheduled team training.

If you are setting things up yourself (although if you are a serious prospect for professional football I would recommend hiring a strength and conditioning coach), remember to do your main strength work during the off season, and taper things down to maintenance in season.

You will be doing yourself a great service to focus on this now, I know the schedule for the professional players leaves little off season (if any, depending on commitments).

Best of luck when you get over there!

thanks for all your answers ans sorry about my grammar .

i normaly squat around between 80 to 120 at about 8-11 reps

@moons my current training schedule is gk training 3 times a week with my gk coach my football season just ended but i still gk train .
monday . tuesday wensday and sometime even friday

i have being traing serously at gym i used to on weigh 59kg so iv put on some weight i have alway being very very lean just my body i eat heaps and i mean heaps ..

btw i used to only bench about 10 kg i now bench 50 kg and get about 7 reps

Hey laz, like you I used to be tiny (used to be 5'8 105lbs, now I am 5'10" 155lbs got there in a year) and I know how frustrating it is being small but just keep at it!

I recommend this to everyone lol, but as a Englishman I used to play a lot of soccer (we all do) and the best thing you can do is 400m sprints. You do a lot of running in soccer, but if you think about it most of that time you're sprinting then walking, sprinting then walking. So 400m sprint intervals with 90 seconds rest is the perfect way to build up your endurance for soccer.

Also, you squat 120kg for 8 reps? That's pretty decent but make sure you're getting below parallel as I suspect you may be quarter squatting. Keep up the great work

Hey laz, like you I used to be tiny (used to be 5'8 105lbs, now I am 5'10" 155lbs got there in a year) and I know how frustrating it is being small but just keep at it!

I recommend this to everyone lol, but as a Englishman I used to play a lot of soccer (we all do) and the best thing you can do is 400m sprints. You do a lot of running in soccer, but if you think about it most of that time you're sprinting then walking, sprinting then walking. So 400m sprint intervals with 90 seconds rest is the perfect way to build up your endurance for soccer.

Also, you squat 120kg for 8 reps? That's pretty decent but make sure you're getting below parallel as I suspect you may be quarter squatting. Keep up the great work

And this is why you always ask for deadlift figures ^

Anyway, I would be going box squats, box jumps, bb squats, glute ham raises (if you can get hold of one, other romanian deadlifts) for lowish reps + some basic push/pull upper body compounds (chins, dips, o/h press, bench, db row, bb row)

Moons summed it up well but I disagree on the oly lifts. I think less technical explosive lifts would serve you better they are easy to learn and just as beneficial.

If you want to be your best, then you must practice, a lot.

Some things to consider.

Do not add mass where it is not needed.
Do not spend too much time in the gym.
Design yourself a well rounded resistance routine with a an emphasis on the muscles you use in the sport you play, view your routine (exercise) as means to reduce injury.

Your weight training if done right, will make you faster, how much? Who knows, we all respond differently, but if your skill is poor, don't rely on weight training to turn you into a star.

I'd also add in a shit load of knee flexion like GHR or leg curls because of the knee extension overuse

I think less technical explosive lifts would serve you better they are easy to learn and just as beneficial.

There are less technical movements which will stimulate a similar response, not sure if I would say they are on par with the Oly movements.

He is young and beginning his training career, not really a better time to put the time in to learn them imo. Not a necessity, as you mentioned - Defranco uses the less technical methods to produce stellar athletes (for the same reasons you mention - time to learn/perfect).

The gripe I have with using Olympic movements (outside the time it takes to learn them obviously) is that unless they're done perfectly they're not great for producing fluent triple extension.
From what I have seen of a lot of people doing them is that there is a lot of lower back and arm involved rather than the posterior chain.

DeFranco (again) points this out too
Hang Cleans vs. Weighted Jumps - DeFranco's Training

alright thanks to al of you . i will take all of it into account

one more thing does anyone have a example routine

Westside for Skinny Bastards, Part III - DeFranco's Training

But instead of rotating exercises around every week,
on the Max Effort lower pick a squat variation and do 5x5, max effort pick a bench variation and do 5x5. Rep effort upper and Dynamic effort lower you can probably do the same (5x5) for a while. Just chuck some box/broad/lateral jumps in as a warm up to your squats

Pick the assistance exercises and stick with em for as long as you can ie til you stall

I wouldn't recommend doing dynamic squats if you're a beginner because most beginners can't do box squats properly in max effort let alone dynamically. Depth jumps may be a better option