• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

For Markos and son

I guess now's a good time as any to ask a general question...

As this young fella progresses from being a beginner at 11 years old and commits to resistance training, as he goes through puberty his body will grow like all do.

Does that make squatting for him a little bit more challenging, since his legs for example are developing somewhat rapidly.

Did running get more challenging as you went through a growth spurt?

Do footballers, cricketers, swimmers, gymnasts, etc. suddenly become uncoordinated during puberty?

He will probably adapt to changes that still happen quite slowly just like everyone else does.

As this young fella progresses from being a beginner at 11 years old and commits to resistance training, as he goes through puberty his body will grow like all do.

Does that make squatting for him a little bit more challenging, since his legs for example are developing somewhat rapidly.

Is this user a spambot?

Def spam

Actually, Pete has got it spot on.

When Max quit BB, it was summer, so he took up cricket. His running action altered so much at age 13, that we took him to the doctors. He had lots of pain in his upper legs, and ran like a drugged up giraffe. This continued for quite a while.

The doctor said it was a growth spurt. We had to explain to Max's cricket and Soccer coaches that Max wasnt an alcoholic.

He grew out of it just fine, but his growth DEFINITELY played an impact on his sport. He wasnt lifting then so I cant say how it would affect squatting

Actually, Pete has got it spot on.

When Max quit BB, it was summer, so he took up cricket. His running action altered so much at age 13, that we took him to the doctors. He had lots of pain in his upper legs, and ran like a drugged up giraffe. This continued for quite a while.

The doctor said it was a growth spurt. We had to explain to Max's cricket and Soccer coaches that Max wasnt an alcoholic.

He grew out of it just fine, but his growth DEFINITELY played an impact on his sport. He wasnt lifting then so I cant say how it would affect squatting

Interesting. That's a lot more info than I expected.

How do people in your position combat it, when limbs are growing quite quick, in terms if coaching and teaching ?

Last edited:
Yes they do.
I played soccer, cricket, hockey, tennis, baseball, softball and ran cross-country and short distance at athletics.

I don't ever remember having issues with running. Only knee/ankle pain which I got orthortics made from a Podiatrist and that fixed that.

Granted I'm 5'7 I guess I never really grew much LOL

He is teaching the young man how to work hard.

For a young person in that situation the act of doing the exercise right and teaching the work ethic is key.
The act of squatting is more important than how much the kid can squat through the growing years.

I didn't know anyone that got unco from growing.

A friend of mine got knee pains from growing too tall too fast but that's it.

Interesting. That's a lot more info than I expected.

How do people in your position combat it, when limbs are growing quite quick, in terms if coaching and teaching ?

I've yet to train someone who is experiencing the growing pains that Max experienced at 13, so I really dont know Pete.

Max was a very, very small kid, he had a massive growth spurt.

Most kids have linear growth, so it isnt that noticeable. Max was always the smallest kid on every team he was on, every sport.

Great vid Andy

I thought he had a bit of pelvic tilt going in his squats.. could probably use a bit of technique work and more heavy singles.

I played soccer U8 - U17. From grade6 to grade 10 I had massive growing pains in my knees on and off. Couldn't walk at times. In grade 9 I started going to the gym (it was owned by Nathan and Paul Briggs' dad). I could do leg curl and extn but not machine leg press, 45 deg leg press, hack squat, squat, lunge. The only one I could do was the leg press where you lie on your back and press straight up.

The trainer's philosophy back then (1987) was that I had to build some muscle before I could do the free weights. By late the next year, the growing pains had finished. I went in a C&J comp at school and made 55kg @ 55kg, having never lifted an oly bar before.

I played soccer, cricket, hockey, tennis, baseball, softball and ran cross-country and short distance at athletics.

I don't ever remember having issues with running. Only knee/ankle pain which I got orthortics made from a Podiatrist and that fixed that.

Granted I'm 5'7 I guess I never really grew much LOL
Same i played cricket, soccer, rugby and did athletics and never had any issues with running or motor skills while i grew bigger, and im 6'4''. Also i wish i could squat to the depth of that youngster.