• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fruit and veg juice - Is it good for you?

pistachio

Ok, so I've been making a bit of a habit of buying 1.3L of fruit and veg juice on low energy days (ie poor sleep) to get through workouts. It has worked fantastically, although this could be due to the +100g of sugar....

So my question, is it ok to have 1.3L of fruit/veg juice say 3 times a week?

Here is the one I have been getting:

GC raw citrus crush GC Raw - Health that tastes good!

It contains:

22% orange juice
21.4% reconstituted pineapple juice
10% apple juice
4% banana puree
2.9% mango puree

36% reconstituted carrot juice
1.2% reconstituted spinach juice

Contains 9.5% sugar (123.5g per 1.3L)

Apparently this contains 6.5 serves of fruit and 6.5 serves of veg

Cheers

I make my own, and drink 1L a day.
All raw, all organic.

The only problems I see with buying pre made juice is
1. The enzymes start to die
2. You never really know whats in it.

Thats from a health perspective. As far as energy goes.... Not sure, but Id say the sugar could have alot to do with it.

I dont see a problem with it if you are using it as a energy boost pre workout.. However Dextrose will be better for a quick release energy source.. However Dextrose wont have the micro nutritional values that im sure the fruit and veg juice is full of.

I make my own, and drink 1L a day.
All raw, all organic.

The only problems I see with buying pre made juice is
1. The enzymes start to die
2. You never really know whats in it.

Thats from a health perspective. As far as energy goes.... Not sure, but Id say the sugar could have alot to do with it.

that is a fantastic way to do it. what do you use mate? and how much does it typically cost you?

I dont see a problem with it if you are using it as a energy boost pre workout.. However Dextrose will be better for a quick release energy source.. However Dextrose wont have the micro nutritional values that im sure the fruit and veg juice is full of.

im actually drinking it over the course of the day to keep me awake/alert if i've had a poor nights sleep. i usually save about 500ml for about 2 hours before training (consumed at work with a big meal), get home and have 40g oatmass/40g protein about an hour before training, and then 15-20g dextrose with arginine, citrulline malate, creatine and beta alanine.

i've ran out of dextrose at the moment, and can't find any at the shops so i am just using regular sugar until i can find some somewhere :(

Juice is great but its great when its made from fresh vegetables and fruits. Different juices do different things and should be consumed in different quantities. If I was a better gardener id be growing so much stuff and juicing it daily. Carrot juice is awsome it has so many beificial qualities its insane. Drink some of that a day and some cabbage juice not alot maybe 1/4 of a glass of cabbage juice and the rest carrot juice and your body will heal itself of many illnesses... or something. Man i want some right now........

I have
1 beetroot
5 carrots
2 apples
1 zucinni
1 lebonese cucumber
1 brocalli
2 tablespoons of macro greens.

Thats generally what I have, It does vary slightly to what is avaliable in the garden.

damn sticky, you must chew through a lot of veggies in one week!!

do you ever get sick out of interest?

pretty crazy that all of that only makes 1L of juice.... is there a lot of pulp that you chuck out or what?

what are you referring to by the macro greens btw?

The problem when you juice something you are drinking a huge amount of sugar and then throwing away a lot of the stuff that makes fruit and veggies good for you.

Drink water and eat your fruit and veg.

The problem when you juice something you are drinking a huge amount of sugar and then throwing away a lot of the stuff that makes fruit and veggies good for you.

Do both. Eat fruit and vege and drink juice for specific deficiencies or illnesses. Thats my opinion anyway.

Of course, but i'm not looking at replacing my fruit and veg at all.

This is purely for an energy boost on low energy days. But seeing as how well it seems to boost my energy, i'm tempted to do it on ALL training days.

The other problem is, that I am really struggling to eat enough calories in a day (and this is with an average of 2L of milk a day on top of it). So liquid calories help alleviate this.

My concern was largely around the sugar, is there any issues with having such a large quantity of sugar quite regularly? It is natural sugar, so i'm assuming it can't be that bad for you?? Will it cause any problems with insulin levels or anything like that?

Sugar from fruit and veg is normally no problem when you eat them because you get so little of it. When you juice it you get a huge amount of sugar often more than soft drink and yes it will still release a heap of insulin.

alright, well seeing as there are not really any strong opinions against this, i might just keep doing what i'm doing. only use it for when i am having a low energy day

Any juice is basically just sugar water with no were near the nutritional value or benefit of eating the stuff.

I dont think this statement is true. Just look at carrot juice. If you drink to much you turn orange. This means your at least getting the carotanoids or however you spell them. The evidence suggests that there is nutritional value. I think that what happens is your not increasing the sugar content but your consuming more than you otherwise could if solid. Look at carrots again one bag of carrots will make a liter lets just say that for arguments sake. You can drink that no worries but try eating a bag of carrots. If you remove the pulp your removing the fibre as well. This assumes your juicing the veg/fruit yourself. I wouldnt drink fruit juice its full of sugar but veg juice is really good for you. Most wont be packet with sugar some veg are but not all. You should google juice and juice fasting its interesting. I wouldnt juice fast but the research has stuff pertaining to nutritional values and things which is worth paying attnetion to.

edit: ok i thought you said no nutritional value i misread. I still dont know if that statement is true but anyway...

I dont think this statement is true. Just look at carrot juice. If you drink to much you turn orange. This means your at least getting the carotanoids or however you spell them. The evidence suggests that there is nutritional value. I think that what happens is your not increasing the sugar content but your consuming more than you otherwise could if solid. Look at carrots again one bag of carrots will make a liter lets just say that for arguments sake. You can drink that no worries but try eating a bag of carrots. If you remove the pulp your removing the fibre as well. This assumes your juicing the veg/fruit yourself. I wouldnt drink fruit juice its full of sugar but veg juice is really good for you. Most wont be packet with sugar some veg are but not all. You should google juice and juice fasting its interesting. I wouldnt juice fast but the research has stuff pertaining to nutritional values and things which is worth paying attnetion to.

edit: ok i thought you said no nutritional value i misread. I still dont know if that statement is true but anyway...

You are a not a latent homo but a latent idiot.