• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ghetto Dumbells

Brick

Gents looking for input on a project I am considering.

I mentioned in an earlier thread on standard gear that my local metal recyclers has standard plates for $1 a kilo. There is a mountain of them sitting in the corner of the yard.

I want some dumbells for home but am a tight bastard so won't buy new fixed db's and don't like dicking around changing plates on adjustable db's, so I plan on making up some.

Anyone done it? any advice? I can't seem to locate 28mm od pipe, I am guessing that's because db handles are usually turned down from 30mm on a lathe. I am pretty handy and can wield a welder but don't have access to a lathe for turning or knurling.

Maybe grab a few sets of the spin lock ones and make them up, can be found cheap, at least they fit and the knurling is done for ya without too much dicking around.

Maybe grab a few sets of the spin lock ones and make them up, can be found cheap, at least they fit and the knurling is done for ya without too much dicking around.

Mate I have considered that it shits me to tears when collars get loose, but I might make them up and tack weld the collar on so it doesn't come loose.

I think that's what I will do you always see the handles getting sold cheap secondhand. That way the handle is knurled too. Thanks for the input grippy

Mate I have considered that it shits me to tears when collars get loose, but I might make them up and tack weld the collar on so it doesn't come loose.

I think that's what I will do you always see the handles getting sold cheap secondhand. That way the handle is knurled too. Thanks for the input grippy
maybe do what he said, but get the thread sand blasted to get rid of the chrome finish on both the nut and the handle, then put them together, tighten, and weld the handle and collar together.

A good mate of mine does exactly that, welds the spin lock to the bar. He also paints everything in kill rust just to clean them up.

Right near the rubbish dump 10 mins from my house on the sunny gold coast.

Apparently they put the plates aside to sell to gym rats for cash and that's how the blokes in the yard get their beer money. Win win for everyone

Where is this metal recycler you speak of???:)

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing Mick :D

Than I seen your comment and LMAO...:eek:

Brick: Go to a metal market and get some 28mm solid round bar stock, standard raw steel. Dont worry about the knurl, just use lots of chalk. I'm going to make some heavy DB's soon, so I was checking it out myself. It's not expensive either and you can get cheaper if you buy off cuts as well.

Hey solid bar is probably a really good option cause it is usually pretty pitted and has a bit of mill imperfections so would be much more grippy then cold rolled tube which is really really smooth. Just weld a washer at each end of the plates and your done. Some really heavy ones would be great for kroc rows and shrugs.

Last edited:
Hey solid bar is probably a really good option cause it is usually pretty pitted and has a bit of mill imperfections so would be much more grippy then cold rolled tube which is really really smooth. Just weld a washer at each end of the plates and your done. Some really heavy ones would be great for kroc rows and shrugs.

Yep exactly what I was thinking mate, except I was just gonna weld the first and plate on each end, no washer, as the stops and then leave the rest so they are adjustable. I want them for croc rows and heavy dumbbell bench press too.
Similar idea to you but I want only 2 lots of handles with adjustable plates, but it would be simple to make a whole set.

Just watch welding plates cause they are cast they will want to crack if you put alot of heat in them. Most boilermakers will tell you not to weld cast at all. I have seen it done on cast pipe fittings but for anything that's gonna get knocked around its not a good idea.

Just watch welding plates cause they are cast they will want to crack if you put alot of heat in them. Most boilermakers will tell you not to weld cast at all. I have seen it done on cast pipe fittings but for anything that's gonna get knocked around its not a good idea.

I was a welder for many years (early 20s) so I know how to do it correctly, its doable, just not super strong. But it would be strong enough for what I want it for. Secret is to build the bead on the bar stock.

Spot on man the weld will carry the weight not the plate. Had a go in a fab shop when I dropped out of school lasted about 9 months enjoyed the work but couldn't handle the heat or the workshop decided i preffered site work and became a chippy. Did some cool shit though lotta rigging, tower crane ties shit like that. Couldn't Fucking stand ripping welds in the shed all day.

Gents looking for input on a project I am considering.

I mentioned in an earlier thread on standard gear that my local metal recyclers has standard plates for $1 a kilo. There is a mountain of them sitting in the corner of the yard.

I want some dumbells for home but am a tight bastard so won't buy new fixed db's and don't like dicking around changing plates on adjustable db's, so I plan on making up some.

Anyone done it? any advice? I can't seem to locate 28mm od pipe, I am guessing that's because db handles are usually turned down from 30mm on a lathe. I am pretty handy and can wield a welder but don't have access to a lathe for turning or knurling.

That's mad that the metal yards sell plates, I haven't found one in Sydney that does that

20120706180632.th.jpg

Posted this in another dumbell thread but thought I should post it here too seeing as I started this thread.

20120706180552.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20120706180536.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ghetto bells mk1.0, 25mm internal dia tube with 24mm threaded rod through the guts, washers on the end are held in compression between the rod and tube. All material from scrap yard or pilfered from job sites. Will make a massive kroc row dumbell next. These two twentys owe me $40 for the plates & $3 for the handles. They are solid as fuck

Not sure if pics will work as using a image shack app pn phone I havent used before.

Wingers I'm so cheap I only date below my standard so they pay for dinner and drinks.

You don't get rich throwing your money around. Its not how much you earn motherfuckers but how little you spend that will make you into a bitter old rich fuck, which is much better then beign a bitter old poor fuck.

You don't get rich throwing your money around. Its not how much you earn motherfuckers but how little you spend that will make you into a bitter old rich fuck, which is much better then beign a bitter old poor fuck.

I am the BIGGEST tight arse going, I will spend countless hours finding the cheapest way to do everything, I will not buy anything that is full price/

I have problems

nice bells brick, the gears of cheap are churning inside :D time to hit gumtree and annoy people with low offers :rolleyes:

I am the BIGGEST tight arse going, I will spend countless hours finding the cheapest way to do everything, I will not buy anything that is full price/

I have problems

nice bells brick, the gears of cheap are churning inside :D time to hit gumtree and annoy people with low offers :rolleyes:

Amen to that brother retail is just thievery. The other hex bells in the pic $20 for a pair of 17.5's gumtree score. I reckon I can build up a full rack at 1/3 of the retail price maybe less.

hex bells in the pic $20 for a pair of 17.5's gumtree score.

Shit yer, that is awesome,^^^

best I have done, is 55kg plates and a crap bench, bar, and dumbell handles for a 6 pack. off a friend of a friend,

120kg plates bench barbell dumbell handles and cable attachment, $150 ebay

been hanging out making offers on an all in one gym for a month, someone will crack soon.:D