• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

GHR Substitute Ideas?

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
I don't have access to a glute ham raise (GHR) at my gym at the moment but would like to start doing them. I've traversed the internet for some ideas on ideas on how to perform this exercise with other machines/contraptions but haven't found them to be satisfactory. For example someone said do good mornings instead. Well that's a whole separate exercise in itself and it doesn't replace the benefits of a good GHR session. Then there's the old 'lay flat and have someone hold your ankles in place to do reverse sit ups off the floor lol' idea. Cool, but no training partner here.

The only suggestion I've found useful so far is this one:
No Glute Ham Raise? No Problem! | BONVEC STRENGTH

This is fine but my knees don't appreciate being grinded on like that so either I have to get some knee sleeves or find those nice thick bitch mats that the ladies seem to love to use for their squatting. Any other ideas please that you have found helpful?

I'd like to work on my glutes a bit more not so that I can look like Nicki Minaj but I think it's my weak link to squatting deeper. (RDL's, SLDL are already part of my routine)

Just hook yourself under something... Few plates on the smith to keep the bar in position with a flat bench lengthways in front of it as your pivot point/knee pad

Just do some stiff legged deadlifts. The GHR is one of the most overrated pieces of gym equipment. You don't need it.

I was in the same situation as you. No GHR at the gym, wanting to actually be able to do at least 1 lol. What I started doing is using the back extension like the one in the picture, sliding the hip pads as low as they go, start by placing 5 x 20kg plates underneath the back to get the tilt and you have yourself a beginner GHR. As you get better and better keep adding plates till it's nearly horizontal. Have a mate stand on the back for safety if ya need. Worked really well for me.

Fitness_Equipment__-Lower_Back_Bench.jpg

[MENTION=12962]ink81[/MENTION]; you never tipped over doing it using the method you described? especially putting 5 x 20kg underneath the back stand?

I can go to 8 before I need someone standing on the back. It's well balanced but I can't say that for different models.

Just do some stiff legged deadlifts. The GHR is one of the most overrated pieces of gym equipment. You don't need it.

I whole-heartedly agree with this.

The way I view this, is the glute is a very large, powerfully strong muscle, 2 exercises that are really good are squats and stiffies and some leg presses (where the moment arm is rotary).

It is my opinion that GHR's are better served as moorings, you just cant place (safely) significant load on these muscles to stimulate growth, the lower back will always fatigue much earlier.

As an aside...with the GHR a better design would be to allow the user to lie on their back and hip anchored to reduce involvement of the spine opposed to lying on the stomach.

I like the GHR but I think it's name is misleading as I don't find it an exercise primarily for the glutes.
I've found it great for hamstrings and calves.

Last edited:
I've seen people use the lat pulldown machine to do ham raises. You can even use the cable to make it easier.

After the thread before I re-evaluated just the humble back extension and I really like them. Time will tell to see what it does for my deadlift. I do 5x20 after my training sessions maybe 3 times a week. Sometimes 2 or 4. I make sure to keep my back arched the entire ROM

I like the GHR but I think it's name is misleading as I don't find it an exercise primarily for the glutes.
I've found it great for hamstrings and calves.
True. For this reason, I now make a point of calling them Nordic leg curls, which is their other name (and a much, much more accurate indication of what they are/do).

I've tried using the lat pulldown machine. Only issue is you will need a box or something in front of you to push back up from. Angle was much harder than a normal GHR. Tried not to face plant haha.

RDL's are typically plenty for the hamstrings though. GHR's good if you have some sort of back issue that you need to work around.

After the thread before I re-evaluated just the humble back extension and I really like them. Time will tell to see what it does for my deadlift. I do 5x20 after my training sessions maybe 3 times a week. Sometimes 2 or 4. I make sure to keep my back arched the entire ROM

Works for Pozdeev.