• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gym recommendations - Melbourne CBD

C

Cyndelle

Hi ladies & errant gentlemen,

I'm a newbie to the site after lurking all weekend, and I must say the forums here are amazing, and filled with great advice.

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a gym to me - I live in Port Melbourne, but work in the CBD. Currently, I attend one of the local gyms here in Port Melb. I used to go three times a week to do weights, but I found I was 'retreating' into a dark corner, and only using kettlebells instead of the freeweights. Oh, and avoiding busy times.

Lately, I've just stopped going. I really can't stand this gym - it's full of total beach posers, and I get strange looks and comments when I go to work out. I really wish I could just throw on my iPod, and smash out a workout. But it's difficult when there's a million inflated egos flexing their biceps, and hogging equipment to run a mothers club, constantly doing chest days.

I'm really, really, really wanting to get serious about my weight training and would like to know if there are any good gyms around my area, or the city? I bike to work, so getting around isn't an issue. I'm even considering Fernwood, but I'm not sure - I've heard some horror stories. And it's not exactly weight orientated.

Luckily, my current contract at the gym is only for 6 months and is almost up - hence the search for a new home. I'm interested in starting a program similar to this one, with the aim to reduce bodyfat from 26%. I'm currently around 63ish kgs, I think.

It's tricky, because none of my peers are into fitness, or if they are it's a walk around the block once a week. So I can't really ask anyone IRL for recs.

Phew, thanks for listening to my massive whinge. In summary, I'd like recs for a gym where I can learn to get more into weights. I don't care about guys being there or anything, but maybe a more serious gym where I won't be a little scardy cat to go in :(

I'd even be open to trainer recs too if anyone has any.

Thanks guys :)

is setting up a power rack and free weights at home out of the question?
good luck with your goals and i'm the same weight by the way trying to gain some

Thanks for your replies. I might check out results based training, but it looks like they really push for the classes.

Nah, I'm in an apartment - no room for my own set up!

Doherty would certainly be worth a look, fantastic gym and good prices, geared around weight training....

Doherty would certainly be worth a look, fantastic gym and good prices, geared around weight training....

Heh, I'm looking at their site as we speak. Think I'll be heading down one night after work for a look see. Do you know whether they offer any training services? Their website hadn't updated that section as yet.

Heh, I'm looking at their site as we speak. Think I'll be heading down one night after work for a look see. Do you know whether they offer any training services? Their website hadn't updated that section as yet.

Yeah they certainly do, there are some really good PTs who work out of there, many of them compete themselves, not sure on the prices though.

Yeah they certainly do, there are some really good PTs who work out of there, many of them compete themselves, not sure on the prices though.

Awesome, thanks for your response. Think I've narrowed it down to Dohertys in town, or Olympia Gym in South Melbourne. Just wish it wasn't so dang hot today, or I'd check them out now!

Thanks for your replies. I might check out results based training, but it looks like they really push for the classes.

Nah, I'm in an apartment - no room for my own set up!

Only been in the south Melbourne one once (bit hard when you're on the other side of the country) but speak to the owner a fair bit. Worth a look and a chat, don't go purely off the website as they like to offer the "full package" for people that like or feel they need that kind of training but will happily let you do your own thing.

2 of my mates train in port Melb, so I know what you mean, as I do a day a week in there with them. (Old trading post building, cnr beach rd and graham st)
They are both mimbos, melonotan, bleached teeth and single digit BF.
I think you'll like Olympia, proper gym, good atmosphere, good grunter gym, I liked training there.

2 of my mates train in port Melb, so I know what you mean, as I do a day a week in there with them. (Old trading post building, cnr beach rd and graham st)
They are both mimbos, melonotan, bleached teeth and single digit BF.
I think you'll like Olympia, proper gym, good atmosphere, good grunter gym, I liked training there.

Ha, I didn't even know there was a gym there! Yep, I went down and checked the place out. Got a session with of the trainers during the week :D

Plenty of individuals go to gyms for some reasons. Maintaining good appearance (being fit and sexy), relaxing and of course, having a healthy body. Nevertheless, did you know that too often they may also be getting robbed? According to the Better Business Bureau, around 9,400 complaints were filed last year against fitness experts, gyms and health clubs. That is 15 percent higher than in the last year. Everyone should be aware about things that they can try to find and steps to keep away from being taken to the cleaners.

Last edited by a moderator: