• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hammertone vs Rubber coated?

rubbers heaps quieter if you deadlift straight onto concrete like me. i have a rubber coated set and one of them has split a bit coz my dog chewed it first but the others have stood the test of time so far

I decided to lay down some 2x particle boards on each side of where I dead lift followed by rubber flooring. I'm gonna get bumpers as I'm scared of ruining the weights. Cost a fair bit and I want them to lAst.

Rubber is popular atm, looks good too, but metals are cheaper and will last longer than the rubber coating would I'd assume. Rust on metals is easy fixed with paint, but I would go rubber coat if I had the money, than again, I'd go bumpers if I could buy my own as I would have to put them in my shed with concrete floor and want to eventually do some oly type lifts.

rubber coated dont chink together and make heaps of noise.
rubber coated dont rust, were they get touched, bumped scratched

get bumpers if you are doing heaps of floor type stuff, dead, cleans, etc

117.5kg of my rubber weights are approaching 2 years old, purchased another 40kg 1 year ago and all of them have spent a good 6 months outside, they're now in a spare bedroom and it still smells. Not as bad as it was but you would think by now it would be totally gone :(

Rubber is nice to work with but cant wait for the day that smell totally fades away

One thing to think about is that proper size Olympic plates are 45cm diameter. The gym direct rubber coated are 43 and the hammer tone are 41. So if you are deadlifting you are actually doing a 1 cm deficit with the rubbers and 2 cm deficit with the hammer tone.

Also the rubber ones are pretty thick, so when you start deadlifting big weights or decide to do some rack pulls you can run into problems of fitting all the weights on the bar.

I wouldn't mind getting some bumpers. Not many 2x 25s and 2x15. Willig to contribute to a group buy in brissy

I just have really old cast plates and use old de-comissioned conveyor belt from the local coal mine / power station, for my gym floor. They also use it in horse stables for horses that kick the walls a lot. Tough as nails. Had to cut it with a big angle grinder :)

Iron plates sound cooler when you reach the end of movements like squats and bench when they slap together

Have been using rubber plates for a couple of months and I actually prefer them to the hammertones, simply because they're quieter to work with (my gym is under a carport and I workout rather late sometimes) and I've actually bumped by weights a few times in the rack without leaving a scratch or anything so that's a plus. With the smell, I didn't really notice it after 3rd day of use.

does anyone know how accurate the hammertone and rubber plates are. for example is 20kg ~20kg or more like 19kg?

all my weights are hammertone oly style and i deadlift/clean off 10mm board with carpet on top (carpet has a rubber base) had no problems so far, wouldn't mind some rubber ones to make loading the other smaller plates easier lol

Last edited:
does anyone know how accurate the hammertone and rubber plates are. for example is 20kg ~20kg or more like 19kg?
l

Probably depends on the brand more thn anything. if you find anything in the order to 1kg out that is not good enough and would have to be a defect

Rubber all the way - the smell of my plates disappeared after a month, but kept the window open to allow the smell to get out.