• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with deadlift (vid included)

walt

DuffProteinMan
Hello,

well for the past 2-3 weeks my lower back has been getting some slight pain, mainly after training from deadlifts. But today it was bad, even warming up on 100kg i was getting some pain.

I did 60kg for 2 sets, 100kg for 2 sets, 140kg for a set (vid), 170kg for 2 (lower back pain so stopped) then 140kg for set. Usually ill do the 3 worksets but i skipped it. Anyway throughout my pull ups i had lower back pain, dumbbell rows felt like i was tearing it so i stopped. Even hurt a bit on curls!

Heres the vid - my form seems ok so no idea?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6tDUpmWk1o"]IMG 02561 - YouTube[/ame]

Some might dismiss it as "lower back pump" but its never been this bad. I don't want an injury and the road im taking is going to lead to an injury.

Drop deadlift and just do rack deadlifts instead, or fight this issue that i have no idea about?

Thanks

Last edited:
That was some awsome 1/4 squatting in the background lol.

Those deads looked good. But you said it was the 170 that hurt, so without seeing that it is hard to comment.

Bros at the back will help u. Obvious power/olympic lifters - u can tell by their deep squats.

Looks fine. How much mobility work do u do?

That was some awsome 1/4 squatting in the background lol.

Those deads looked good. But you said it was the 170 that hurt, so without seeing that it is hard to comment.

i believe i said that 100kg warm up hurt as well. Cant remember if the 140 hurt, was just mild pain if anything.

Bros at the back will help u. Obvious power/olympic lifters - u can tell by their deep squats.

Looks fine. How much mobility work do u do?

lol

I read online and books about mobility but i had no idea about anything so i did it half arsed for a very short amount of time.

Would mobility matter a lot, my deadlift looks pretty good in that video?

im scared to deadlift heavy now, it felt like i pulled my lower back in the gym (its pretty good now), couldn't even do dumbbell row and had to cut it short.

But i know if i continue this i will probably injure something.

i think before deadlifts i might do warm ups of sit ups and back extensions to get the core and lower erectors warmed up. Thats all i can think of lol.

Have a look at the way you bent over to pick up that water bottle, and tell me what you think.

Also

Does it help to think that your body is HANGING between your legs LMD?
Rather than on top.

Have you practiced goblet squats?

The only thing that stands out to me is that you are trying to advance before you are ready, I really think you need to return to the blackboard and start again, you are young and have a lot of time to figure this out, and you will get it right, just be patient.

It could just be that 2-3 weeks ago you had a very mild strain and it's simply been getting worse because you've been training on it.

Is the pain muscular or on the spine itself?

Yes. Do proper mobility work and ur hips will feel infinitely better in ur DL and squat positions. (assuming u have a limitation)

I probably do, any recommendations for a good site that is easy to understand?

Have a look at the way you bent over to pick up that water bottle, and tell me what you think.

Also

Does it help to think that your body is HANGING between your legs LMD?
Rather than on top.

Have you practiced goblet squats?

The only thing that stands out to me is that you are trying to advance before you are ready, I really think you need to return to the blackboard and start again, you are young and have a lot of time to figure this out, and you will get it right, just be patient.

Yea the water bottle deadlift was not good, but i generally don't put much effort into picking up easy things.

To be honest that didn't make much sense (body hanging between legs).

Yes i have done goblet squats and they are quite easy and my mobility is good on them.

Yea i probably am rushing the weight on the deadlift, but if i go back to the drawing board, and then i start getting to heavier weights, won't the same problem arise? I mean my form is pretty good on that video so i have no idea why my back killed.

It could just be that 2-3 weeks ago you had a very mild strain and it's simply been getting worse because you've been training on it.

Is the pain muscular or on the spine itself?

So many possibilites, maybe because 3 weeks ago i remember doing a max attempt with really bad form. I believe its muscular and on my right lower back side.

is the deadlift too good an exercise to drop and replace with rack deadlifts?

Last edited:
If it feels muscular, and you feel you may have done it a few weeks ago on the max attempt give it time to heal. If you dont give it time to heal, it will keep hurting, if it wasnt hurting before 3 weeks ago and you rushed up for a max attempt and has been hurting since, then....

Youre back is not something to mess around with, its a much smarter idea to back off let it heal now rather than have to take months off in the near future because you didnt want to reset your weights.

That should also answer your question about if you reset and work back up youll just get injured again. More than likely not, if you dont rush up to a max lift and take your time.

Well, all I can say is from the video I see of you is that your lower back does not seem to stay rigid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7-HLtOglfM&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Dan John: Goblet Squat - YouTube[/ame]

Goblets squats teach you to squat between your legs, it's tool used to teach proper method.

i want more strength and muscular. Not really interested in powerlifting.

Ill go light on deadlifts or even swap them for 2 weeks and see how i am.

Episode 235/365: Recover Your Anterior With the Super Couch | Mobility WOD

super couch stretch is a good start for most people. I don't know too many people that don't have tight anterior hips.

i dont have bands, are there anyone without the use of bands ect?

Well, all I can say is from the video I see of you is that your lower back does not seem to stay rigid.

Dan John: Goblet Squat - YouTube

Goblets squats teach you to squat between your legs, it's tool used to teach proper method.

how often will i do these, and am i doing it for a stretch or do i actually progress in weight? High reps im guessing?

and andy, is this the only thing that can be done to fix my problem?