• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

High Intensity Training: A Scientific Critique

Good stuff Champ [MENTION=8399]0ni[/MENTION];

This seems to be the prevailing wisdom. Volume is best. Failure is sub optimal - but geez failure is fun.

Well it doesn't say that absolute failure is bad, just that it makes it hard to do a lot of volume
I think HIT is great as a finisher but I would not do just one set

But I like fatigue, gives me a sense of accomplishment. Might just be a mental thing.

Well it doesn't say that absolute failure is bad, just that it makes it hard to do a lot of volume
I think HIT is great as a finisher but I would not do just one set

He shows the graph 4-6 sets seems to be best for experienced trainers. I like to cover volume first then go for failure. The same as you describe, as a finisher. Nice vid.

But I like fatigue, gives me a sense of accomplishment. Might just be a mental thing.

Fuck yeah. All the endorphins. Failure is a drug.

Bloody science getting in the way again
I'll say it again, we'd all be doing the same thing and getting the same results

Last edited:
find what works for you.

(HIT. The term was not invented by arthur jones, the term HIT was used by Ellington Darden in his writing.
jones was about efficiency and hard training.

i love working out, but I love doing other stuff, humans do.
if there was conclusive proof (which there is not) that one way or the other is better, I'd still opt for short intensive hard workouts.

people really need to get their facts straight, that bloke in the video, like many experts that have come and gone, have no idea what their talking about.)

progression is key.

For the lifting hobbyist which is most of us, working out in a way that includes metabolic conditioning will have a positive impact on your day to day activities.

for a competitive bodybiulder, you will already possess the shape required to do well, you will follow a program that builds muscle tissue, some better than others, some more and less efficiant the goal will constantly change.

but for the competitive bodybuilder diet is the número uno here, and not necessarily healthy.

powerlifters muddy the waters even more, the methods confuse the hell out of most.

If you're not sure about hard training, and the effects on the body, you really need to listen carefully to that old bloke,; the mechanical work, the pause in the contracted position, the bodies anomalies, what does biuld muscle tissue, Kim Wood stated 25 years ago, exercise simply develops the raw material of the body, listen to what ken nannies says.

find what works for you.

(HIT. The term was not invented by arthur jones, the term HIT was used by Ellington Darden in his writing.
jones was about efficiency and hard training.

i love working out, but I love doing other stuff, humans do.
if there was conclusive proof (which there is not) that one way or the other is better, I'd still opt for short intensive hard workouts.

people really need to get their facts straight, that bloke in the video, like many experts that have come and gone, have no idea what their talking about.)

progression is key.

love your work.

For the lifting hobbyist which is most of us, working out in a way that includes metabolic conditioning will have a positive impact on your day to day activities.

for a competitive bodybiulder, you will already possess the shape required to do well, you will follow a program that builds muscle tissue, some better than others, some more and less efficiant the goal will constantly change.

but for the competitive bodybuilder diet is the número uno here, and not necessarily healthy.

powerlifters muddy the waters even more, the methods confuse the hell out of most.
what about crossfit then?

When crossfit started which is some time ago way before most of you could remember it was great, it introduced a lot of people to the barbell and garage gyms.
then it wanted to be a sport.
and things changed

What most people fail to realize is that HIT, jones style incorporated negative work, something he didn't invent a method used by bob peoples a negative only style training, this was in the early fifties.

jonse took it a step further, through testing, he discovered, the reason one can lower heavier weight is - internal muscle friction.

if you positive strength is 100
the negative strength will be 40% higher, static strength will be 120%.

exhausting the muscle in this manner is true fatigue, the results he achieved were phenomenal (West Point study)
and PTC, project total conditioning.
measurements were taken, growth occurred overnight, and in some cases, during the workout.

Intensity of work is subjective, in that the threshold of pain differs for everyone, the degree of inroad one takes on an exercise will differ from one person to another, what we do know is results are tangible.

one telling another that he or she does not work to full fatigue is an idiot, in fact one only works to fatigue when one has exhausted 100% of fresh muscle strength and needs to be carried from one machine to the next, this is what happened at Deland Florida on a regular basis.

Arnold tried, quit after 10 minutes, later denied he ever went there, although there are pictures of him on the machines lol.

Last edited: