• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hip pain

0ni

Registered Rustler
Ok, so I've been slowly rehabbing myself over the past 6 weeks now. For those that don't know, I took a break from cycling to fix my beaten up body.
It's been going well so far and 2 weeks ago (18th July) I reintroduced strength training, doing starting strength but 5x5 (inb4rage)

Anyway, I got up to 85kg in the squat, great ROM, 4-5 inches below parallel when I recorded it. But after the 4th rep in the first set after warming up I felt a dull ache in my left hand side, outer hip muscle. I rested a few seconds and went for the last rep in the set, but my hips, glutes and hamstrings failed to fire for some reason and I just sat there at the bottom so just ditched the bar onto the safety pins.

I don't really know much about rehab, but I did a few tests based on what I thought was logical:

Raising knee up: pain in muscle when knee is above parallel
Body-weight squat with broomstick: pain just before parallel
Forcing leg inwards against wall: no pain
Forcing leg outwards against wall: no pain
Pressing forwards against wall: no pain
And no pain for pressing back against a wall either

So I only really get the pain over that one specific range of motion. I can deadlift with no pain, even at max weights, sumo stance or conventional. As for my training for the next week, I have decided to drop squats for the week and do 45 degree back extensions with added weight. I did 5x8x5kg today with no pain so I'll probably be starting on monday with 5x10x10kg increasing the weight 5kg on wednesday and friday as a "replacement" for squats and to really build up my glutes/hams so they take the strain off the hips a bit when I go back to squatting.

So the main question I have is: What stretches, strengthening and rehab do I need to do to fix myself?

Glute activation before you squat, stretch your hip flexors on no squatting days, learn how to activate your transverse abdominus instead of using your TFL, massage your TFL, open your hips a bit when you squat and finally, learn how to squat 'properly'

Sounds very similar to what I had which was overloading of TFL due to tight hip flexors causing inactivity of glutes and TA, which was manifested by squatting over my hips rather than between them and getting my squat back to front (was going fast to slow descent rather than slow to fast).

I still struggle to squat more than a couple of times a week unless it's BW but it's manageable (the problem first occurred when I did 20 reppers 3 times in one week with KB thruster circuits inbetween, and first started using a raised heel)

So warm up with glute bridges before I squat and stretch my hip flexors on days off?
Should I stretch it using the stretch that yields the pain? (Lying down and pulling knee to chest). I'll start passing a broomstick over both sides for 20 seconds twice a day also

Getting into a lunge position then lean back, raise the arm on the side you're stretching and turn to the opposite side.

You should feel it from your quad all the way up to just below your pecs

I have something similar. I have injured my left tfl muscle. I have been stretching and using the foam roller every day. physio believes is a old issue that must have resurfaced. I believe I didn't warm up properly and used a wider stance for squat.

I'm going to squat today. See how I go!

Do not stretch an injured muscle. If it still pains you to use it then it is still considered injured. Give it some time to heal and slowly build up to stretching.

Also get your self a massage ball(lacrosse ball or kong dog toy) from kettlebells.com.au or anywhere else you can find one and find the tender points and sit on it for 10 seconds then move around to find more do this for a minute or two to massage the muscle which will help lengthen it and remove any knots. Only do this once it is healed too.

My final bit of advice is to get it properly assessed by a physio, osteo, exercise physiologist. Then use their advice and go from there.

Do not stretch an injured muscle. If it still pains you to use it then it is still considered injured. Give it some time to heal and slowly build up to stretching.

Also get your self a massage ball(lacrosse ball or kong dog toy) from kettlebells.com.au or anywhere else you can find one and find the tender points and sit on it for 10 seconds then move around to find more do this for a minute or two to massage the muscle which will help lengthen it and remove any knots. Only do this once it is healed too.

My final bit of advice is to get it properly assessed by a physio, osteo, exercise physiologist. Then use their advice and go from there.

Ok, luckily I hadn't started stretching it yet. I have a lacrosse ball so will pass it over the muscle on both sides for 30 seconds twice a day.

What about dynamic stretching? I did Ju-Jitsu for 10 years and got a nice stretch from high kicks. I was thinking starting off by kicking at ankle height then moving up slowly with each kick. Would this be suitable for while it still hurts and/or when it has recovered?