• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Holding your breath during exercises

fairfield

Who else holds their breath during Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press?
At which point in the movement do you inhale/exhale and are there other exercises where holding your breath would benefit?

And to think I thought you should exhale on the downward movement of a squat or press while benching.

No wonder when I used to try and lift heavy I could never get my breathing "right"...

Cheers,
Theo

Who holds their breath during exertion of a given exercise, I'm interested to know.

Whether that be one repitition or multiple rep's to fatigue.

LMAO, too funny!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKgdAOQWQRE]How to breathe when lifting weights - YouTube[/ame]

Quote,"Holding your breath is very dangerous, you don't want to hold your breath, so when you are lifting the only wrong thing to do is hold your breath."

I dont take any notice when or how I breath, I am assuming I do, if I do it properly in theory, deep breath, lift weight, breath out, lower weight, deep breath again.

Who holds their breath during exertion of a given exercise, I'm interested to know.

Whether that be one repitition or multiple rep's to fatigue.

Is there a question in there?

If there is; I do, as does every lifter in my gym.

hmm.. on bench press i take a breath in on the way down and exhale when i press it back up.. guess that's not what I should be doing.. no idea what I do during any other movements.. So it should be breath in at the top and hold through the whole movement?

squat, breath at the top, squat, exhale at the top.
bench, same
deads, various ways, breath before grabbing the bar, lift, exhale at the top, inhale, lower weight, and lift again
or breath before grabbing the bar, lift, exhale, lower, inhale, lift.

breath before grabbing the bar because you can get more air in becausr you are not under pressure from the weight. breathin at the top can allow you to get mre air because you are upright, much like the squat. breathing at the bottom, your not under pressure but your in a squat possition. both have pros and cons

I'm usually puffing lightly at the end of a set of dips. Not coz it's such a great cardio exercise, it's simply to do with my breathing technique during the movement. I feel like I shouldn't be holding my breath as much as I am, but can't help it, I just do what feels natural.

I just posted something on topic, and non-controversial and got a PM from Admin saying it's been deleted. WTF?