• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hormones in supplements

High Protein Girl

Hi All,

I've recently heard about the presence of phytoestrogens and growth hormones in supplements and was wondering if anyone was also concerned about it.

I've read that Whey Protein is an animal based product derived from milk, and contains protein hormones such as rBST (recombinant bovine somatotropin), rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone), and IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1).

I've noticed that my skin breaks out after taking a lot of Whey Protein and wondering if anyone else has has similar experience or is concerned about it.

Also has anyone found some alternative sources of quick and easy protein to take?

Thanks!

Growth hormones are very expensive. Why would any supp company put them in protein powders.

rBST. Cows are given it to improve feed efficiency in the USA. It is banned pretty much everywhere else and being phased out in the US currently anyway, so not really an issue. On top of that bovine hormones are not likely to effect us and will be broken down in the stomach anyway.

I'd stay away from soy.

Research "phytic acid" and "trypsin inhibitors" and that may be enough to make you stay away. Soy has both.

Here is a study (not an article) related to bodybuilding:

Clinical and biological activity of soy protein powder supplementation in healthy male volunteers.
Goodin S, Shen F, Shih WJ, Dave N, Kane MP, Medina P, Lambert GH, Aisner J, Gallo M, DiPaola RS.

Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey/Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2681, USA. goodin@umdnj.edu

PURPOSE: To determine if a commonly used soy protein supplement exhibits biological activity in vivo and in vitro, we evaluated an over-the-counter soy protein powder supplement using blood from healthy male volunteers and in an estrogen receptor in vitro assay. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: We recruited healthy male volunteers 18 years of age or older that were in good health. Treatment consisted of consuming two scoops (56 g) of pure soy protein powder (Puritan's Pride, Oakdale, NY) daily for 28 days. Serum testosterone and luteinizing hormone (LH) levels were collected on days -7, 0, 14, and 28 of therapy, and day 42. A reporter estrogen receptor (ER) assay was used to determine the effect on ER-beta and ER-alpha in vitro. RESULTS: Twelve subjects were enrolled with a mean age of 32.25 years (range 25 to 47). Serum testosterone decreased 19%(+/-22%) during the 4-week use of soy protein powder (P = 0.021) and increased within 2 weeks after we discontinued soy protein powder. Serum LH concentrations decreased during the 4-week use of soy protein powder then increased within 2 weeks after we stopped the soy protein powder, but the changes did not reach statistical significance (P = 0.20). Soy protein powder was found to induce agonist activity to ER-beta using a reporter estrogen receptor assay in yeast. CONCLUSION: Soy protein powder decreases serum testosterone levels in healthy men and acts as an ER-beta agonist; the significance of this biological effect with respect to cancer prevention needs further study.

good to know thanks.

Is that just for soy protein powders or for all soy protein (tofu, soy beans ,soy desserts etc) ?

Depends how often you take it, the odd soy protein is okay (tofu, soy beans etc).

However if you are taking soy protein daily this is where the effects on testosterone start to occur.

I've been using egg whites for protein which are hormone free.

Depends how often you take it, the odd soy protein is okay (tofu, soy beans etc).

However if you are taking soy protein daily this is where the effects on testosterone start to occur.

You sure about that. I am sure that eggs would contain various hormones for the growth of a chicken. Anything that was once living that we eat is going to contain hormones of some sort.

Yes I've read similair research about Soy and its Test lowing effects. I've also read research claiming that it doesn't lower Test levels and that the milk industry was "influencing" research to make such negative findings against Soy so as to limit Soy's competition in the marketplace.

I've been off Soy for 3-4 months now and haven't noticed a difference in Test level symptoms. I used to drink it every day instead of Milk.

With regard to Whey protein, I had breakouts on the arms Friday after "experimenting" with alot of Whey protein (different brands) the day before. Unsure if it was the Whey protein or something else though.

no, I try to take it off usually - the mascarra runs. I do wear my g-string though, is that alright?

pretty sure I was talking to HPG with that one and as for your g-string I hope you are considerate and wax :)

I personally don't wear make up when I work out