• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to service a Smith machine with linear bearings

littlebloke

Site Advertiser
Hi,

Not sure where to post this so I thought I'd try here.

I bought a used Avanti Smith machine yesterday - with linear bearings - very happy (for my use - not to re-sell).

It's been outside for a bit, and has a little bit of surface rust on the rods. After steel wool they've come up ok, but I'd like to lubricate them, and to relubrucate the bearings.

Google has not helped, so I was hoping someone on here could let me know what I should use on the rods and bearings to ensure they move freely.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Graeme.

I don`t know what is specifically used for a Smith machine but would`t you use silicon lubricant spray?Or a dry grease of some sort like the carbon lubricant?
Edit to add,do you want lubrication or rust protection?A trip to your local Bunnings might be an idea.

We generally use silicone spray on all the moving parts on our gear, does the job well.

Thanks guys. I normally put silicone spray on these kinds of things, but wanted to make sure the bearings didn't need some kind of special grease stuff...

Thanks guys. I normally put silicone spray on these kinds of things, but wanted to make sure the bearings didn't need some kind of special grease stuff...

Hi mate,

They never wear out.

I have had mine for 20 years.

I had some motorcycle chain lube in the shed so I used that but it made the thing drag, then I sprayed WD 40 on it. So now I have a special combo. LOL

I use chain lube and track it all the way up and down then i spray wd 40 and roll it in. Slides as fast as a guillotine.

Yes if the bearings are sealed bearings I'd say wd40, rp7 would be the best option over an oil or silicon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Before we all get our panties in a bunch I think the mod squad should consider changeing the title of this sub forum to just powerlifting.
While changeing the other to general strength training.
Body building should be a specific sub forum.

Otherwise we just need to be a bit more flexible.
Posted via Mobile Device

There's been a few negative comments about smith machines.

Why the dislike? This is the first one I've ever used and (so far) I find it pretty good.

Is it just personal taste, or do they encourage bad behaviours?

Just curious....

Have I started something here?

I started using the machine (a week ago) because I workout by myself at home and I felt I would be able to push heavier weights safer with it.

So far, that assumption has proved correct.

Why would you not use one?

well for one smith machine pretty much takes out most important areas to exercise that being your core... biggest example of that being squats on smith machine,, why not use the barbell and have it free on ya back

Fer fuxake who gives a rats arse what he uses.He isn`t pushing his Smith machine on you so give it a rest.I don`t use one because I just don`t like the feel of it but the 5 times in a row Mr Hokkaido (retired now but could still take the title in his sleep) swears by them.
Each to his own.

well for one smith machine pretty much takes out most important areas to exercise that being your core... biggest example of that being squats on smith machine,, why not use the barbell and have it free on ya back

brendon; the barbell squat is an exercise on it's own.

The exercise in the smith is basically a leg press - does it work the hip? Yes. Will it biuld the legs? Of course.
Will it biuld strength in the lower back? Yes, the muscles around the spine are still engaged more than a leg press.
Is it safe? Every execise has an element of risk.

You can certainly lift a lot! More weight on the smith and leg press compared to the bb squat and this is where trouble begins.

If you work hard on these three exercises and I mean really hard you want to make sure you have a plan not to get caught crushed or pinned.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: