• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hypertrophy-based Conditioning (no KB, no prowler)

DKD

Private Dancer
I'd like to improve my conditioning. I could simply try running, walking, cycling etc, but I'd like to get the most bang for my buck and see if I can develop some muscle growth, whilst simultaneously improving my conditioning.

I have a home gym, with rack, oly bar, trap bar, plates, dumbbells. I dont have any kettlebells or a prowler, and don't want to buy any either....I've spent enough lol.

Any thoughts on good conditioning workouts, with these available tools, that will also see some hypertrophy gains?

Yeah the rack has high & low cable pulley thingy, for pulldowns and seated rows, chinning bar and dip attachment. Those 2 dip handles are my favourite part of the rack, laugh out loud. Love dem dips. <3

Look for grah's thread for complexes.

Pick a couple of different compound movements.

Use a light weight and do them back to back. Rest 60 seconds and repeat as many times as you can.

A simple one would be

RDL / SLDL x 10
Power/Hang clean x 10
Front squat x 10
Press x 10

There are a few good circuits going round. I do the julien greaux (spelling?) one sometimes

there are some good circuits that also work in step ups to bench, box jumps and that kind of thing. They'll get your heart racing in a circuit.

Guessing you can't do burpees with the shoulder ... shame.

push presses would also be ok as you use your legs so easier on the shoulder.

Last edited:
instead of the usual running, walking cycling etc, try things more HIIT, could also include hill sprints to increase intensity, sprints with dragging a tyre behind you.

Also as mention, more full body circuits where you include light weight and do as many reps in a timed period maybe start with 60sec, complete one circuit and rest then repeat circuit.

Good exercises i have found for this are ( in no particular order)

Squats
pushups
weighted crunches
step ups
dips
pull ups
skipping
burpees
military press
barbell rows

30 x TB
12 x pull down
12 x dip
20 x TB
10 x pull down
10 x dip
15 x TB
08 x pull down
08 x dip

Perform each exercise to complete fatigue, no stopping, should take you around 10 to 15 minutes, it will take a few workouts to find your maximum weights, this not only builds muscle but also gets you puffing like a train, you'll need to lie down at the end, and check your shorts.

When I started with this bastard of a workout I could only manage this once a month along with two other workouts, now I perform this once a week along with two sort of less intense workouts.

I really hate this workout and it kind of scares me prior, but after I've finished I feel sort of euphoric.

You can do kettlebell swings with a dumbbell. Just hold one end with both hands. I do this a lot

Thanks for the replies boys and girls. Plenty of food for thought there.

Lighter weight, medium reps, limited rest....that seems to be the go.

I like simple stuff so that when you're stuffed you don't have to think too much. Things like swings & pullups. Ladder down from whatever number alternating.

Alternatively, I will put on my tabata playlist & just set my gym up with a variety of light to med weight stuff & just pick something in the 10 seconds rest breaks. If you alternate muscle groups you can go for much longer than 4mins as tabata is normally done. And when you are dead stuffed just do stuff like star jumps, high knees, butt kicks on the spot.

I know you don't want to buy anything but I LOVE my new tractor tyre for flips and sledge hammering :D

Here is my warm up, run through it twice for a decent workout

Star jumps 50
Pushups 30
Split sqauts 20
Curnches 20 and Full sit ups 10+
Mountain climbers 20
Burpees 10
Leg swings 20 each
Alternating crunches 30
Hindu pushups 20
Lunges 20 each
V ups 20
Groin stretch 30 sec
Side crunches 20 each
Side lunges 20
Face pulls 30
Pull aparts 30

If you keep the rest down its both great mobility and a nice workout

Have you considered doing something completely different just from an interest perspective. I'm an old guy who put his son into judo and thought I'd give it a go. Now I need to get fit to do the Judo. You could also have a crack at a basic gymnastics workout and build up to more complex ones.

Superset push and pull (eg bench and row, pull up and press,etc), doing each exercise at 60-80% 1RM and to 1 rep short of failure.
Pound out a widowmaker.
Perform a circuit of glute bridges and some core exercises, such as ab-wheel roll-outs and side planks.

Have you considered doing something completely different just from an interest perspective. I'm an old guy who put his son into judo and thought I'd give it a go. Now I need to get fit to do the Judo. You could also have a crack at a basic gymnastics workout and build up to more complex ones.

Hahaha, Judo is great fun and no matter how fit you think you are you are just never quite fit enough when it comes to actually sparing and you get gassed in about 2 mins, hahaha

All these methods biuld a base and also increase one strength and conditioning to a point but it is only using progressive resistance ie., barbell...at a quick pace that is, well truly progressive and safe and healthy, used as an adjunct to a sport played is the only way to get that raw material to an improved state - ie., stronger and more flexible - and then the skills of the activity or sport will have to be mastered.